Benq W100 Screen size recommendation

W

wallace

I am thinking of buying the Benq W100 projector. My room is 4m long x 3.7m wide. According to what I've read the viewing distance for SXGA or XGA should be 1.5-2x the screen width. However the Benq W100 has a native resolution of 854 x 480 16:9 so due to the larger pixels viewing distance should be 2x the screen width. The viewing area will be my living room and not a designated room for theatre. The projector will be small table mounted between two arm chairs.

Having said that, would a diagonal screen size of 80" be too big? Would 73" be better or would I be losing too much of the viewing "experience" with such a small screen? The projector will be placed approximately 3.5-4.0 m from the screen, but I worry I will lose too much seating area if I go with the 80" diagonal. In other words I will have to sit at the back of the room, which is okay, but what about the side view seating (e.g. sofa)?

Regards,

Wallace

The Prof.

Novice Member
Wallace,

I've been a bit of a lurker on this forum for awhile now, but since I have recently bought a Benq W100 projector, I may be able to allay your concerns..

SDE was one of my concerns about this projector after reading the review on the Projectorreviews.com website...but I thought I'll just have to live with it, considering all the other good points of this unit..

I have a long HT room, 3.6m.x 7.7m., so seating distance wasn't going to be a problem for me..

I made up a 106" screen, and set up the projector...
The image is 2400mm.wide, on max. zoom and I sit 13' back from the screen.
At that size, I have to walk up to about 4' from the screen before I see any pixels!!

The screen sizes you are looking at will not be a problem and I would suggest at least a 90" screen would be suitable in your situation..

Other than that, the image that the W100 projects is beautiful, straight out of the box...oh, and the blacks on my screen are as good as most crt tv's !!

I highly recommend this projector to anyone who wants an entry level projector...it's the best "bang for buck" on the market...

I hope that helps you...

W

wallace

Thank you Profsproj,

Yes this post helps a lot! 90" would be wonderful but I am worried this will be too big. Would I not be satisified with an 80"?

Regards,

Wallace

The Prof.

Novice Member
Wallace,

It all comes down to personal preference...Whether you like to be immersed in the on screen action, or sit back and view it like a big TV..
I personally prefer the former and that's why I'm about 1.5x the width of the screen back.

If this is your preference also then using a 90" screen will have you seated 11.25' back, leaving about 2' behind you in your length room.

You have to work out what best serves yourself..

U

unkownsoldier83

hey ppl i know this is an old thread but i need to ask.
Im about to purchase this projector, and was just wondering with the adjustable lens... sometimes i sit and might watch the pj at my comp which is only about 1.8metres from the screen, can i zoom out on the projector and will this shrink the screen down??? (opposed to its fixed zoom setting which might be at say 1.10 zoom) hope this makes sense... big newb question but newb is me :)

ijd

Novice Member
i am also thinking of purchasing one of these, the only thing holding me back is rainbow effect,am i unduely concerned or is it fairly obvious???

Jammyb

Novice Member
unknownsoldier (think I know who you are :p) this projector has very little in the way of zoom, so the only way to make the image a lot larger or smaller will be physically moving the projector.

Regarding rainbow effect, this depends on you, you might not see it at all, or it might be unwatchable. The odds are you'll be ok. Best thing is not to look for it.

ijd

Novice Member
well i had it delivered , looks good on the wall, the screen should arrive monday:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom