Benq W100 Help

B

Beers

Hi everyone,

New to this.

Can you tell me whether I could use the W100 based on the folowing info.

I want the projector 5M from the screen and I want the screen to be 1.5M wide (horizontal).

Will I be able to focus and get a good image.

As I say - I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,

Simon.

You won't get a 1.5m image. It will be bigger at 2.5m horizontal. To get 1.5m horizontal it has to be 2.6m to 2.9m (depending on amount of zoom) from the screen.

Thanks for your help chaps.

I've had a look at the calculator and was quite impressed with the size the W100 could project to.

My next question is regarding the screen, I naturally want to watch movies (16:9) and plug it into my macbookpro and maybe my computers at work. Some of the video I'm handling is still 4:3 and most PC resolutions are also 4:3 is it terrible to buy a 4:3 screen and project 16:9 on to it?

Will I suffer from any viewing problems?

Finally, is the following screen a good choice? I realise that a properly mounted screen is the best choice however the wife would happily kill me if I were to mess up her beautiful fireplace...

http://www.cvsmedia.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57_31_197_299&products_id=1078

Thanks for all your help,

Simon.

I use a 4:3 Argos blind from the ceiling. I get a 77" 16:9 at 9.5ft distance on max zoom. When I press 4:3, I get a 63" 4:3 image. It works well.

Those screens are fine and at leat you only have to get them out when you need to. That is a good price considering they will weigh a fair bit for posting.

I have put my computer through it using a VGA to DVI adapter. The picture is fine at both 640 x 480 and 800 x 600. It gets a bit too small and harder to read clearly at 1024 x 768. If you want to play a DVD using something like WinDVD. I find having it on 640 x 480 is best then pressing thew 16:9 button. The software will make sure the picture looks right on the screen.

Most projectors can produce a huge image but the brightness of it will diminish the bigger the pic. With most projectors at around 1000 lumens an 80" to 120" image is about average.

The Panasonic AX100 is a 2000 lumen projector so would probably cope fine with a 150" picture.

With the projector central calculator it should tell you when your moving out the ideal brightness range.

Also, If you want to use your computer for playback of movies, play games etc then set the resolution of the PC to that of the Projectors Native resolution. This will give you something called a 1:1 image which is pin sharp, text is crisp and easy to read. Sending a 640x480 image will cause the projector to scale the image to its native resolution. Scaling of any kind means loss quality somewhere.

Anim

Ack, don't get a 4:3 screen and force the projector to 4:3

Get a 16:9 screen and use a 16:9 resolution which is what the W100 is designed for,

Most PC resolutions have some kind of WideScreen resolutions that you can use. The Projectors manual will tell you which resolutions it can accept.

Anim

Ack, don't get a 4:3 screen and force the projector to 4:3

Get a 16:9 screen and use a 16:9 resolution which is what the W100 is designed for,

Most PC resolutions have some kind of WideScreen resolutions that you can use. The Projectors manual will tell you which resolutions it can accept.

Anim

Whose forcing the PJ to 4:3? It doesn't matter what ratio the screen is as long as the right ratio is used for what is being displayed.

I use to pixel match 1:1 with the Panny AE100 and a computer. It isn't quite possible with the W100. The picture when playing DVD's through software is cut off 2 to 3" for me at the right. It doesn't matter if the picture is moved sideway as as the software never displays it. The only way to see 100% of the picture (and make it look the same as my player on component) is to use a normal PC resolution an put it in 16:9 mode. The software then displays the picture just like the DVD player.

Any other PC software has to been done in 4:3 otherwise, it is squashed in 16:9 mode. Trying to surf the internet is not easy.:D

Whose forcing the PJ to 4:3? It doesn't matter what ratio the screen is as long as the right ratio is used for what is being displayed.

I use to pixel match 1:1 with the Panny AE100 and a computer. It isn't quite possible with the W100. The picture when playing DVD's through software is cut off 2 to 3" for me at the right. It doesn't matter if the picture is moved sideway as as the software never displays it. The only way to see 100% of the picture (and make it look the same as my player on component) is to use a normal PC resolution an put it in 16:9 mode. The software then displays the picture just like the DVD player.

Any other PC software has to been done in 4:3 otherwise, it is squashed in 16:9 mode. Trying to surf the internet is not easy.:D

Ok, this is causing scaling by the projector which is something to try and avoid as it does take away some quality, you might not notice it much with DVD's but you will with games and any text displayed. I know that my AE100 when not not 1:1 was awful and burnt holes in my eyes after awhile :rotfl:

As to the W100 not displaying 1:1, I have to assume thats your setup and not a bug with the W100.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manufacturers/benq/W100/index.asp talk about the W100 1:1 ratio as in

"As you can see on the lower left, there is the aspect ratio button, which basically toggles between 16:9 and 4:3 (there's a "Real" 1:1 ratio as well for displaying exactly what the source sends - pixel for pixel. The Auto button is primarily to lock onto an analog source like a computer"

Alternativly there is over/underscan options in the service menu (Can this affect Horizontal too?). I guess you know the danger of going in here so be careful :D

<cut from an AVS thread>
1. Press and hold the up arrow (on the projector) untill the lamp hours menu is displayed.
2. Simultaniously press the Present and Source buttons (for about 5 seconds). 6 numbered blue boxes will appear in the top left corner.
3. Fiddle and change details and settings to your hearts content
4. BTW make sure you record all your changes so you can get back to the origicanl settings.
5. To exit press the power button
<end cut>

Anim

The benq wont output a 16:9 resolution when connected to a pc, so you'll either be stretched to 16:9 or have to stick with 4:3. The only other option is to try a custom widescreen resolution using powerstrip and using the real button.

Supported res's on pc from the manual are:

640x400
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024

If anyone figures out the pstrip settings post them please, I tried on my friends and gave up, just wasnt having it at all with a nv 7900gs card.

I use a 4:3 Argos blind from the ceiling. I get a 77" 16:9 at 9.5ft distance on max zoom. When I press 4:3, I get a 63" 4:3 image. It works well.

Those screens are fine and at leat you only have to get them out when you need to. That is a good price considering they will weigh a fair bit for posting.

I have put my computer through it using a VGA to DVI adapter. The picture is fine at both 640 x 480 and 800 x 600. It gets a bit too small and harder to read clearly at 1024 x 768. If you want to play a DVD using something like WinDVD. I find having it on 640 x 480 is best then pressing thew 16:9 button. The software will make sure the picture looks right on the screen.
What kind of blind from Agros do you use?

The benq wont output a 16:9 resolution when connected to a pc, so you'll either be stretched to 16:9 or have to stick with 4:3. The only other option is to try a custom widescreen resolution using powerstrip and using the real button.

Supported res's on pc from the manual are:

640x400
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024

If anyone figures out the pstrip settings post them please, I tried on my friends and gave up, just wasnt having it at all with a nv 7900gs card.

I stand corrected. Just looked at the manual and PC input is indeed 4:3 aspect only:suicide:
Component will accept 16:9 tho.

Ta
Anim

I will try the 1:1 again (856 x 480 using Nvidia drivers) and press the real button but, I am sure it had no effect. I get what sounds like that overscan problem. I don't need Powerstrip anymore as it has no difference to what I can do with the Nvidia drivers.

I got perfectly good results (and no overscan) from using one of the standard resolutions and pressing 16:9 on the remote. I also put WinDVD into widescreen monitor mode. I could not tell the difference between the computer playing the DVD and the DVD player on component. I played the same DVD at the same time and switched between the two.

I have no intention of playing games through it. It is purely home cinema.

I use a Argos 6 feet blackout blind.

Component will accept 16:9 tho.
Ta
Anim

Interesting thought, could maybe use the component break-out box and get 852x480 or 1280x720 and let it scale, I used to have one on my x800xt but sadly I no longer have it and i'm not certain if nvidia do one for the 7900gs although I know other nvidia models have them.

So is the quality difference between feeding this projector 1024x768 via VGA and giving it the native native resolution via DVI only a marginal distinction?

I ask because I'm very interested in the the BenQ W100 but at the moment can only afford to use my Intel graphics based laptop. Eventually I'll upgrade to an HTPC desktop. However if the image (purely for DVDs) is gonna be crappy in the first case scenario above I'll get the HTPC first and the projector down the line.

The W100 seems too good to be true for the money and I had assumed that the best source would be essential yet others disagree. Please help a DLP newb :confused:

For me, watching DVD's by the PC looks excellent and just as good as my DVD player. It has a DVI input so you would need a VGA to DVI adapter.

I would use a good software player. I use WinDVD as it is the only software that recognises my coaxial 5.1 digital out (PowerDVD only does 2 channel).

Cheers NW, reading back over your other posts it all starts to make sense :cool:

I'm currently using straight up media player for DVD's as its currently the only "free" option to get DD and DTS to my amp using optical and AC3 Filter. I guess you notice the software player's quality difference when the screen is that big, maybe an upgrade to Win DVD will be well worth it.

An f-off big, high quality cinematic image will soon be mine!!!!!!!:devil:

Are you using windows media player or media player classic? Media Player Classic can use a external fiilter called AC3Filter to use digital outs. Both are freeware. I got a near picture quality with it compared to WinDVD. One of the reasons I use WinDVD is it works with my wireless PC remote control (as well as PowerDVD and MS Media Player) but, it doesn't work with Media Player Classic.

Cheers NW, reading back over your other posts it all starts to make sense :cool:

I'm currently using straight up media player for DVD's as its currently the only "free" option to get DD and DTS to my amp using optical and AC3 Filter. I guess you notice the software player's quality difference when the screen is that big, maybe an upgrade to Win DVD will be well worth it.

An f-off big, high quality cinematic image will soon be mine!!!!!!!:devil:

All the better if you are using windows media player as it can compensate for the stretched aspect ratio via going into tools/options/devices/display/properties

Once there you will get a circle with a crosshair through it, just adjust it until its circular and no longer an elipse. That works on all wmp based players as well.

Eg:
desktop set to 1024x768 via dvi to the benq and 16:9 selected on the benq will give a squashed video when using media player, use the tool above and no more squashed video, however this wont effect the desktop appearance, this will still look stretched.

As nwgarret states though some software auto compensates, power dvd does (i think) as long as you deselect keep aspect ratio.

In WinDVD I have fixed ratio and widescreen monitor ticked. I don't use hardware acceleration.

Using a resolution of 856 x 480 did stretch it too much and overscanned the right side. I just tried it again and I only see all the picture if I select a resolution such as 640 x 480, 800 x 600 or 1024 x768. I doesn't matter what yuou pick as the quality looks identical. It just depends on whether you want the PJ to upscale or downscale a bit. I think I will use it at 800 x 600 and downscale it.

I tried it at 1280 x 720 and the BenQ PJ didn't like it and reverted back to the previous resolution. It works fine in my Panasonic PJ.

Using Windows Media Player's device properties crosshair tool has no impact at all on DVD playback, it only effects video from the hard drive.

I can't see a way around the problem. Basically, for me, it means dumping the htpc route and investing in a cheap Tevion DVD player with hdmi. I can't purchase WinDVD as I don't have a credit card.

At the moment I have to decide to watch movies either at their proper size using WinDVD trial with ProLogic sound or in a tiny 4:3 window using Media Player with proper Digital decoding :mad:

Is there no way to turn off Media Player's fixed aspect ratio for DVD's?

Evening,

The coment about the image being darker the bigger it is,

Picture003.jpg

this is with my benq W100, i can have it at this size, on eco mode and still watch it in the daytime,

ive had my PC going through it too via DVI, playing AVI and mpg files
still looks great

if your thinking about the W100, there is not one thing i can fault about mine, its an amazing bit of kit for the money and im only using cheapy leads on it

the only one thing i will say, is if your going to upgrade to HD dvd or sky HD, it wont take the full 1080 i dont believe,

in the manual it does state the formats are supported, but ive been advised on here, the projector wont take the high resolution

but as for PC DVD,, it will be amazing

i went onto google and searched for HD downloads, you can go on apple and windows and download HD trailers and in 1080 hd,

but my PC could not handle the files :(, going to try my W100 out on my bosses 360 and sky hd next week, then ill know exactly what i can put through it

It can take the 1080 (and 720). As it is not HD Ready. It will downscale and still look excelllent.

I am tempted to get the XBOX 360 HD DVD drive and put it on the computer. Then play it through the W100.

Cheers NW, you were right Media Player Classic did the job after some jiggling. Pic's not as good as WinDVD for some reason but there's probably a filter or two I can mess with.

However connecting the laptop up everytime is a pain. I had no idea that an HDMI DVD player could be had for less than £50. Things like shadow and background detail do bother me with DVI-A so getting a full digital connection would be a nice cherry on top. Can anyone see any problems with a cheap as chips Tevion player feeding the Benq? There's loads on ebay but they all claim to upscale and I don't like the sound of that, presumably it can be turned off...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom