BenQ W100 - couple of questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Daminator, May 8, 2007.

1. Daminator

Daminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I just got a BenQ W100 on the recommendation of a friend and it seems good so far, but I want to get the most out of it ...

I have the projector connected to a computer running Ubuntu via a DVI-D cable. What would be the best resolution to feed to the projector? If I'm correct, the actual resolution of the projector is 845x480, but there are lots of higher resolution settings in the manual. Would sending a higher resolution from the computer result in a better image? Or worse because it has to down scale it?

If anyone has this projector set up to Ubuntu (or any Linux I guess) via DVI-D, could I take a look at your xorg file?

Thanks
    Damian
    www.daminator.com

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Daminator

I have this projector, but I don't run it from PC. I use DVD player via component. For me the projector is excellent, it is worth playing with the settings, it can make a big difference. I use the following settings (for what it is worth given that it is over component): eco mode, home cinema, IRE 7.5, Colour and contrast I think are around 60, tint is nuetral 50 and brightness I vary from as low as 36 up to 44 depending on the film. The lower you can keep it the better the contrast and therefore depth you get.

As for resolution, as far as standard definition goes, I know that many advocate 1:1 pixel mapping as best since it reduces the amount of scaling processes. However, downscaling is known to give good results from HD source. I remember reading a very favourable review of this projector when I bought mine, which praised its preformance when feed with an HD source. I also have a mate who has this projector and he feeds HD to it via his PS3 which he reckons to give noticable improvements over SD but I haven't seen it myself.

It will in the end no doubt come down to trial and error though. Interesting to hear how you get on.

Croc

3. Daminator

Daminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!

Now I just have to firure out how to get Ubuntu to display the resolutions that I want.

Cheers
    Damian