BenQ V6050 UST 4K Laser Projector Review & Comments

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much. Optoma review next please?

MrMrH

Is it just me or is having a lans cover one of those incredibly simple yet hugely beneficial ideas that they should all have been doing since the beginning?

Captain Ron

Another cracking USP review @Steve Withers. This sector is certainly heating up. Out of curiosity, what 3D format is this machine? Active or passive? There's still no USP yet that ticks all the features I am after. They are scattered across a range of them. If the Samsung had good 3D like this BenQ and Dolby Vision instead of HDR10+ i'd be seriously tempted. The forthcoming HiSense TriChroma range have caught my attention with their reportedly massive colour gamut and DV capability so i'm still holding and waiting for now.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Is it just me or is having a lans cover one of those incredibly simple yet hugely beneficial ideas that they should all have been doing since the beginning?
It does seem like a no-brainer, even if it's just a cover you manually slide open to keep the costs down.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Another cracking USP review @Steve Withers. This sector is certainly heating up. Out of curiosity, what 3D format is this machine? Active or passive? There's still no USP yet that ticks all the features I am after. They are scattered across a range of them. If the Samsung had good 3D like this BenQ and Dolby Vision instead of HDR10+ i'd be seriously tempted. The forthcoming HiSense TriChroma range have caught my attention with their reportedly massive colour gamut and DV capability so i'm still holding and waiting for now.
The 3D is active shutter, and I'm pretty sure there are no projectors that use passive 3D. To do that would require two projectors or a rotating polarised filter on the front of the lens. There are also currently no projectors that support Dolby Vision.

Captain Ron

The 3D is active shutter, and I'm pretty sure there are no projectors that use passive 3D. To do that would require two projectors or a rotating polarised filter on the front of the lens. There are also currently no projectors that support Dolby Vision.
Thanks Steve. How does passive Real3D in a typical cinema work out of curiosity?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thanks Steve. How does passive Real3D in a typical cinema work out of curiosity?
Cinemas use one of the two methods I mentioned. IMAX cinemas often use dual projectors (one for the left eye and one for the right eye), while Real3D cinemas use a rotating polarised filter on the front of the lens that's synched to the projector to show alternating left eye and right images. The IMAX approach is more expensive obviously, but you get brighter images and no crosstalk.

Captain Ron

Cinemas use one of the two methods I mentioned. IMAX cinemas often use dual projectors (one for the left eye and one for the right eye), while Real3D cinemas use a rotating polarised filter on the front of the lens that's synched to the projector to show alternating left eye and right images. The IMAX approach is more expensive obviously, but you get brighter images and no crosstalk.
Thanks for that Steve. How many active shutter 3D glasses does the BenQ ship with?

Captainoats

I think it's safe to wait for more decent short throws to be available. Saying this has possible rainbow effect and mediocre blacks is a bit No for me. Using the Sony, JVC PJ's I am looking forward to what they produce in the future for short throws. The PJ's I have are very good on blacks (with zero rainbow) and I would love to replace a large screen LG OLED in the living room with a decent short throw as I feel the future will be having these in place of large TV's hanging on the wall (even if they are the small bezel picture screen models) but I feel we still have a long way to go. Thanks for the review. Perhaps it's still going to be niche, like PJ's are, but hopefully they will get a lot better.

AVDavid

Can't say that the lack of a TV tuner is a big minus point most projectors don't come with one of these

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom