BenQ TK800 vs Optoma UHD40

foumfo

Standard Member
Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of home cinema and I need the input of the more experienced than me members of this forum on the matter of picking the right projector for my needs.
I'll be using the projector for watching sports, movies, series and playing videogames. All in 4k hopefully.
My own research has led me to the 2 models in the title. They're inside my price range and offer 4k (even faux).
I don't know which one to choose based on my needs, or if there is any other projector similar to them, and this is where I need input on.
I feel the need to add that I'm sensitive to the color rainbow effect. In matter of fact, it drives me crazy:p

Last edited:

Harold88

All of it. SDR content looks decent, the iamge is very sharp, when feeding native 4k signal you have to come very close to the screen to see pixels.

Blacks are not great, because it's a DLP but with dynamic black turned ON movies looks good in my opinion. I found that for color accuracy out of the box is best to choose Cinema and use only Film gamma. You can leave the rest of the settings alone.

You shouldn't pay anymore that 1200 euro for any of those projectors. This is the real value for what they offer.

Harold88

There is a bit of ambient light but very little. The walls are white.

For sport and TV shows it's not really a problem ambient light as long as you turn off the lights in the room. The projector has poor native contrast so darkening the room isn't really doing wonders for image quality. For that you can use a gray screen with 0.8 gain or something like this. It will make the blacks look deeper.

I haven't tested Benq but I don't expect to be any better.

Remember, if you go to see this pj , use Cinema settings and Film Gamma. Any other preset settings I found to make the collors look dull.

foumfo

Standard Member
So you wouldn't suggest the uhd40 if it was going to be placed in a room with a lot of ambient light?

Harold88

If you have a lot of ambient light you have to use either a cinegray screen or alternatively paint the wall where you project with black widow.

foumfo

Standard Member
I see. Are you pleased with the 4k and her capabilities of the uhd40?
And a grey projection screen is necessary even in the middle of the night?

Harold88

As I said, the native contrast of this projectors (all of those DLP's) is poor. You don't have to worry to much about fully darkening the room couse it won't make such a big difference anyway.

foumfo

Standard Member
Alright, thank you for your input. The UHD40 was my first choice until the TK800 came along. This is why I don't know what to do

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom