Benq TK700sti as an upgrade from Epson EH-TW650?

Inked

Distinguished Member
I did ask in one of the Benq threads below but no response.

Just wondering whether this would be a decent upgrade to my Epson EH-TW650 LCD projector?

Been very happy with it for the last 3 years but would like to go 4K and am limited with throw distance. (120” screen is about 2.8m from where the pj would have to be mounted)

Don’t believe I suffer too much with rainbow effect, so not overly concerned with switching from LCD to DLP but don’t want the quality of picture to get worse just to up the resolution.

dougie175

Standard Member
I did ask in one of the Benq threads below but no response.

Just wondering whether this would be a decent upgrade to my Epson EH-TW650 LCD projector?

Been very happy with it for the last 3 years but would like to go 4K and am limited with throw distance. (120” screen is about 2.8m from where the pj would have to be mounted)

Don’t believe I suffer too much with rainbow effect, so not overly concerned with switching from LCD to DLP but don’t want the quality of picture to get worse just to up the resolution.

Out of interest did you make the move and switch?

I have pretty much the exact same setup as yourself using the TW650 from around 3.3 meters away to give me a 130" wide screen and its worked perfectly for the last 2 and a half years, but I'm building up a lot more 4K content.

Due to me needing a projector that has a throw of 1:1 the options available are limited but the TK700sti fits the bill perfectly as it has 4K and the perfect throw.

I'm not really fussed about gaming my young kids have a nintendo switch in the room with some casual party games but we only really use it for movies, I apprecaite the TK700sti is a gaming projector primerilly but I can't find anything aroudn the same cost or cheaper with 4k and a 1:1 throw ratio so this ticks all the boxes.

Its a large investment to make if the difference isn't really justified though so would really value your real life opinion. £1150 is a lot for me to spend on something which isn't used daily but want to get a great experience when we do use the projector

Thanks

Inked

Distinguished Member
Out of interest did you make the move and switch?

I have pretty much the exact same setup as yourself using the TW650 from around 3.3 meters away to give me a 130" wide screen and its worked perfectly for the last 2 and a half years, but I'm building up a lot more 4K content.

Due to me needing a projector that has a throw of 1:1 the options available are limited but the TK700sti fits the bill perfectly as it has 4K and the perfect throw.

I'm not really fussed about gaming my young kids have a nintendo switch in the room with some casual party games but we only really use it for movies, I apprecaite the TK700sti is a gaming projector primerilly but I can't find anything aroudn the same cost or cheaper with 4k and a 1:1 throw ratio so this ticks all the boxes.

Its a large investment to make if the difference isn't really justified though so would really value your real life opinion. £1150 is a lot for me to spend on something which isn't used daily but want to get a great experience when we do use the projector

Thanks
I haven't switched as yet I'm afraid. I'm basically in the same boat as you!

dougie175

Standard Member
I haven't switched as yet I'm afraid. I'm basically in the same boat as you!

Hmm looks like 1 of needs to take the plunge, it may well be me with my hand forced!

I was already looking into making the switch a few months back (just becuase I can't leave things alone) but held of due to the cost and Christmas, but Sunday the TW650 suddenly stopped working compeltly, after a bit of research I have taken it to an expert who agrees theres a voltage regualtor chip which has gone, I have ordered a new one and he is going to solder it on for me (the chip is only 3mm squared so tiny) which should fix it and get it all back up and running relativley cheaply.

If it doesn't though.... my options are 1. buy a second hand TW650 which seems a bit mad but at least I know it works perfectly for the room and serves it's purpose or 2. Take the plunge and get the TK700sti which I'm sure will be a much better image.

My biggest worries and I'm not sure if you know anything more in the comparison but it doesn't look like the TK700sti will be as bright image as the TW650 and I'm not sure how much of a difference the 4K will really make over the 1080, if money wasn't an issue I would have already upgraded but I really want to notice the differnce to make it worthwhile spending the additional!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom