BENQ TK700STI 3D Problems

Andy Kanamoto

Novice Member
Ah I see. So maybe the BenQ can’t do side by side. Sorry that sucks. Doesn’t help your situation now, but the Xgimi Horizon can do side by side - I’ve noticed for playing old ps3 3D games and YouTube videos in 3D works well, doesn’t work so well with the original 3D discs, but if you’ve converted them to side by side….

covkid62

Novice Member
both of my previous benq projectors had the side by side option and played every one perfect but now this new one doesn't at all.Wonder why they have removed that option as all other projectors seem to have it

Andy Kanamoto

Novice Member
I wonder if it has anything to do with the kind of 4K rendering these new projectors do. 3D is an afterthought. I too have an older BenQ model that runs any kind of 3D well.

covkid62

Novice Member
yeah i suppose it could be the reason but why not just lower the resolution to 1080p for 3d side by side movies.
Have emailed Benq this morning but not expecting any resolution to this problem.
Only bought this because I wanted 4k but if I had know that I would be having this issue I would have kept my other one.
Think Benq should make people aware of this issue so they are not caught out

Andy Kanamoto

Novice Member
Yes I feel the same. Though I think it’s an excellent gaming projector I feel the initial (pre firmware update) specs were a little misleading. If it makes you feel any better, the 3D tends to lose synch momentarily in brighter scenes where as my older BenQ seems more stable even when using the same glasses.

Vinnyfast

Hey what's up fellas!! I created an account just to respond here. I just got the tk700sti BenQ about 2 weeks ago. I have the v1.03 firmware update, and it took me about 3 days of messing with different settings on my PC and different programs to get the 3D up and running. It looks INCREDIBLE!!! I have the bluray of Avatar 3D and it seriously feels like I'm at the cinema.

Anyhow, some details. Cyberlink PowerDVD 20 Ultra does NOT have 3D playback functionality they removed it. I also tried DVDFab, which didn't work, and also Bino open source player which was garbage. About to give up, I installed Power DVD 19 and it worked perfectly from the get go. Make sure to go into your hdmi settings on the projector and set the RGB to "Full" under HDMI settings.

Anyways, gaming is amazing on this projector, 4K HDR looks incredible as well. Now that I have 3D up and running, I can't wait to re-watch Mad Max, Aquaman, Black Widow, Godzilla vs. Kong, and some of the other good ones. Any questions you might have ask away!!! I highly recommend this projector, it's amazing.
Hi, I just picked up the same projector last month, had to send it to BenQ for a replacement as I was having some "source searching" issues, and it only had the 1.01 firmware. I want to ask which bluray player are you using, or can the BenQ play 3D from a pc with PowerDVD v19? Will it play 3D from Kodi or other stream formats or does it have it to be bluray? Thx!

breal

Hi, I just picked up the same projector last month, had to send it to BenQ for a replacement as I was having some "source searching" issues, and it only had the 1.01 firmware. I want to ask which bluray player are you using, or can the BenQ play 3D from a pc with PowerDVD v19? Will it play 3D from Kodi or other stream formats or does it have it to be bluray? Thx!
What kind of source searching issues did you have specifically?
I'm experiencing similar issues with my W1800i. It randomly loses signal during playback.

camberry

Novice Member
So I was not able to get my 3D to work on this projector with firmware 1.01, so I contacted BenQ, and they had me send the projector to them to update the firmware. I thought the firmware would come back as 1.06 or something close to it since that is what I heard was the newest firmware. But when I got the projector back, it had firmware 9.02 on it!
Before I sent it off:
tk700sti-101.jpg

After I got it back (those extra hours are from me before I finally sent it off)
tk700sti-902.jpg

I cannot find any information online about what this version is and its fixes and changes. I tried testing with my ancient 3D BR player (BD-C5900), but when I went to turn it on, it would not do anything. I opened it up and tested the fuse in it, and it was blown. It was working before I sent off the projector!! LOL.

Oh well. I ordered new fuses from amazon. I will test it when I can. Does anyone know of a reliable way to play 3D BR ripped files (MKV ripped MVC files with MakeMKV) that will work with this projector? So far, I tried libreelec on an intel Nuc, but it didn't work; though it did recognize my rips as 3D movies, the projector would not play them correctly in frame packed 3D. To date, I have not seen this projector switch to 3d mode at all to even know that it can do it.

Also, I have no idea why my firmware version is this far ahead. Does anyone know where a changelog is for it?

TheGoodBaron

Novice Member
Yes I feel the same. Though I think it’s an excellent gaming projector I feel the initial (pre firmware update) specs were a little misleading. If it makes you feel any better, the 3D tends to lose synch momentarily in brighter scenes where as my older BenQ seems more stable even when using the same glasses.
I have a projector with similar issues. Turn down the color saturation a bit and the contrast a bit as well as the brightness. Should solve 90% of issues except in the most challenging scenes.

epatussi

Novice Member
Thank you for this update, I will probably pull the trigger on this projector. Do you know if newly purchased projectors will come with 1.03? Or will everyone have to send them in after purchase?
would like to know if the firmware version that comes with the TK700 is compatible with all 3D content (frame packing, side bus side and top botton). I saw in another forum that the TK700STi does not play 3D content, and will need an update for that. Has anyone who has recently purchased the TK700 version tested it with 3D content? I only found posts referring to the STi version. Thanks.

iwint39

Novice Member
would like to know if the firmware version that comes with the TK700 is compatible with all 3D content (frame packing, side bus side and top botton). I saw in another forum that the TK700STi does not play 3D content, and will need an update for that. Has anyone who has recently purchased the TK700 version tested it with 3D content? I only found posts referring to the STi version. Thanks.
Currently TK700 only supports frame sequential on firmware version 1.01 (it's the most updated one now). Can you check if your projector has this version? If not, you may want to contact BenQ to get yours updated. As I know, BenQ is working on the rest 3D format and will release them by the end of this year. Will need to wait to get the full 3D support.

camberry

Novice Member
Just an update. Still have no idea why my firmware says 9.02, but I have been able to test the 3D. My old player fried every fuse I put in it so I gave up on it. By random happenstance, I found a Samsung BD-HM59 at a garage sale and picked it up for $3! Cleaned it up and it works great! The TK700sti is playing the frame-packed 3D just fine now and my glasses are working as they should.

... the 3D sync intermittently loses signal when there is a really bright, white image on the screen (snow on a landscape, the clouds in the sky, etc.) Is that when you are having seeing the issues the most as well? I can't quite figure out what is causing it either because some scenes have plenty of other colors and contrast and it still loses sync momentarily during those as well. Does anyone have any tips or settings you can change on the unit to resolve this issue?

This is my only issue as well. It seems that anything bright that comes on the screen will make the glasses lose sync for a moment. One second at most. These are my glasses: https://a.co/d/9kXFTFe

These are my first active shutter glasses so I don't know if this is normal. I am curious if the effects can be mitigated.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom