BenQ PE8720 Bulb has gone- what they like ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SuzyG, Apr 22, 2007.

1. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

bought the projector in December and i have put 240 hours on the lamp.

had it on quite a long time yesterday cos i got a ps3 - from 6 am till 2 am yesterday - tried it this morning and it s coming up with a lamp error. manual says the bulb has exceeded its life or has developed a problem and needs replacing.:oops:

the warranty on the bulb is 6 month - anyone dealt with BenQ and can tell me whether i will have problems with my warranty:(

2. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi SuzyG,
    Either your supplier or BenQ should replace the lamp for free. However, they may wish to inspect the projector.

Speak to both your supplier first and then, if you have to, speak to BenQ.

Please let us know the outcome.

3. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to BenQ this morning

bit of a problem with the stock code number as it isnt on their system!

i bought this from directtvs.co.uk when they were £1500 - im now sitting here wondering whether they are uk products or not.....

Becasue of this the ladu told me to send an email - if it getrs ok'd then they will need the lamp back to verify and then will send a new one out.

i had a pe8700 and 7700 and both had problems of differing natures - i sent the whole unit back both times after they gave me a RMA number on the phone

looks like this one's gonna be more tricky.

there is definately a 6 month warranty on the bulb and there is nothing to say you cant run it for a long time without a rest but i suspect that after having it on for around 20hrs continually the lamp mustnt of cooled down very well!

fingeres crossed otherwise £300 for a new lamp after 200 hours!

4. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi SuzyG,
    What did 'directtvs' say about it? They should handle this on your behalf.

As they supplied it, they could handle the warranty for you. You could also force them to do so, if you have to.

Trading standards guidlines mention the 'Suplier' is generally responsible for warranty handling but it also mentions the liability is with the manufacturer.
    Some manufacturers will handle warranty issues themselves but there are a few that expect the Reseller or Distributor to handle the claim on their behalf.
    Generally, if someone buys a product from me, I handle the warranty claim plus any liason between the customer and the manufacturer (usually indirectly, through a distributor) but, the customer is also welcome to approach the manufacturer direct which can save time.

Would you let us know what 'directtvs' have to say about it please?

5. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No reply from direct tv's at the moment but BenQ have been on the ball.

ive now been given a RMA number and been requested to send the bulb to repairtech.

unfortunately i have had dealings with them before and it wasnt pleasant. my pe8700 projector was with them for 3 moths until they decided thy couldnt do anything with it. BenQ apologised for the delay then they sent me a refurbished pe7700 in exchange which, as it was a newer model, actually handled motion much better anyhow and i had 1000 hrs on the 8700 bulb at the time so i think i got goode service.

im probably being silly but the bulb slips out of the projector and is held in housing with some wires etc. im prsuming they want me to send the whole thing back and not just the bulb otherwise it will be tricky unscrewing the bulb etc

just waiting to hear.

unfortunately im going on holiday tomorrow so i hope they actually take their time this time!

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Yes, you just want to send the whole lamp module back, rather than just the bulb.

That really is a very long time to leave your projector on. I think 6 hours is about the longest I have. Although they don't state that a projector shouldn't be left on for long periods, I wouldn't actually tell them it had been running constantly for 20 hours. And in the future I wouldn't leave it on anywhere near for that long if you want your lamp to last.

Good luck,

T.

7. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    direct tv's / laptopdirect.co.uk have been in touch with me

there answer was simple - contact BenQ

no support/help there then!

8. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sent off the bulb and housing to repairtech as i had received no further communications regarding the lamp...i then received an email saying it was just the bulb they required

the bulb is in some housing and has several wires attached to it. further more it has a cover on the bulb and a glass filiment along with other peices of plastic - it would have been like mission impossible disconnecting everything so it will be interesting to see what happens. i mean its not as simple as unscrewing a light bulb!!!

i have looked on the net and every example of a replacement bulb shows pictures of it in some housing... i presume the guys at BenQ are wrong and i will get a bulb with housing in return otherwise its not going to work.

Trying to fit a new bulb into the housing would be fraught with problems anyhow as there would be a danger of touching the bulb and thus getting marks on it.

anyhow, as you can tell, im anxious...things seem to be going wrong at the moment

!!

9. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    They should replace the whole module.
    Either way, they should send you the complete unit back with a new 'bulb' fitted to the module.
    Looking at my BenQ list, it only offers the Complete Lamp Module. Usually, if the 'Bulb Only' part is available, my list shows both options (Lamp Only or Lamp Module).
    I should think you will get the complete module back.
    Let us know the outcome though.
    cheers

10. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sorted now

bulb came today - took them long enough but i guess i shouldnt complain. i now have a brand new bulb with 0 hrs on it.

the bulb came with a complete new housing.

i am surprised that the BenQ staff didnt know that this was how it was to be sent out/returned.

anyhow - it saved me £300 - thank the lord for a 6 mont hwarranty on the bulb!