1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ PE8700 or Infocus Screenplay 7200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by beard_brice, Dec 28, 2004.

1. beard_brice

beard_brice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hesitating between these two and need some help:

1) Price is ~ the same: £2300 for BenQ, £2500 for 7200
    2) Is it possible to use 1280x720 resolution from an HTPC on either ?
    3) Is HD2+ making a big difference and how to make sure that chip is used in PE8700 ?
    4) 7200 seems to have better connectivity and computer support
    5) Has anybody experience of these connected to a Powermac ?

In the same situation, which one would you choose ?
    Has anybody bought a PE8700 somewhere and got the HD2+ version ?

thanks

brice

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Try to demo them both if you can, then you'll know what looks better to you. Someone can tell you what looks good to them, but it may be the wrong choice for your personal preferences.

I think the 7200 is quite a bright projector from what I've read in other people's comments, so if you don't have a totaly light controlled room, that may be better for you.

The HD2+ does have better blacks and no mirror dimple campared to the equivalent HD2, but you have to decide if the small improvement is worth the extra cost. You need to see some to be able to decide. I think there should be a sticker on the BenQ box to say HD2+, or the serial number should tell you: "All units with serial numbers below 99J5877B2140300017H have 2000:1 contrast ratio and Mustang HD2 chip".

1280 x 720 is a standard Radeon resolution in the PC, but I can't comment on the Powermac.

You might also want to consider dealer support and warranty on each projector, as that could be an issue if something should go wrong.

Gary.

3. beard_brice

beard_brice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price difference is minimal so I would probably go for 8700 if I'm sure I can get 1280x720 resolution.

Has anybody experience of getting 1280x720 resolution from a PC on PE8700+ or Screenplay 7200 ?
    The 8700 user guide states that on 1024x768 is supported.

thx

brice

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  5. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I run a PE8700 at 1280x720 over DVI from a PC with a nVidia MX440 graphics card in it and the picture is fantanstic. I'm intending to upgrade to a 6600GT soon and would hope to see a small improvement. Have a look on avsforums for more info as the BenQ has a large following accross the pond.

Cheers

Simon

6. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    back in the summer i had the BenQ running at native off my Radeon 9800SE AIW just to confirm that there's no probs with ATI support either. I had to use Powerstrip though - windows didnt seem to let me select it in display properties. But with HD material and DVDs using FFDshow it looked lovely.. wish i still had it really :(

7. beard_brice

beard_brice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My problem is that I have a Powemac with an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra,
    and I have seen on avs that some users had problems with that card on PCs with the PE8700.
    Just scared it won't work on the mac either, whereas I'm pretty confident it will work on the 7200.
    Anybody with experience ?

8. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The FX5200 thread was started by me, I think it was probably a faulty card as switching to the MX440 seemed to solve the problem - although the PC that now has the FX5200 in now doesn't work over DVI.

Having said this, just before Christmas I had to run a DVI recover utility as I was getting nothing over DVI - this happened all of a sudden and I haven't yet found an explaination. If all things were equal this behaviour, which others have also experienced, would point me towards the 7200. It only seems to occur with some HTPCs and the BenQ, DVI equipped DVD players don't seem to have any problems. In all other respects the projector is excellent and I would recommend it.

Cheers

Simon

9. beard_brice

beard_brice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I would get slightly better contrast with benq 8700 but the Infocus 7200 is a safer bet for DVI-D support and throw distance.
    What seems very disapointing on the 8700 is the lack of improvement moving from HD2 to HD2+ ?

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Isn't there a 500:1 difference between them? The HD2 is 2000:1, and the HD2+ is 2500:1 isn't it?

Gary.