1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ PE7700 or Sony HS50??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Arkham Insane, May 4, 2005.

1. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hello, i have been looking to purchase a sony hs50 for a while now, and now that the stock level is increasing again i was about to buy one in the coming weeks but having seen the post on the 7700 i got to thinking. Is the 7700 a superior model to the hs50, im not talking about another lcd/dlp debate i mean is it simply better. Has anyone seen the two in action, given a choice which would you go for as the price difference is only about £100. anyone?

2. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The PE7700 looks a complete steal if you don't suffer from rainbows and want HD, hence the excitement in the other thread. It's a 5X colourwheel too, which should help reduce this.

I find DLP images very filmic, hence favour that technology. They transport me into the movie. LCD is catching up here though, and the reason for the price of the PE7700 may in part be due to the leap in performance of the HS50 (which on paper has a much better CR).

Since none of us here have seen the PE7700 (and Benq projectors are notoriously difficult to get demos for since PC retailers sell them, hence they're usually available for smaller margins than decent projector retailers can bear with all their overheads) let alone had a chance to compare it to the HS50, we'd all be speculating. You really need to demo both to see which image floats your boat. They both sound fantastic machines though.

Having said that, I'm so excited at the price of the Benq, I'd buy it blind had I the cash now!

3. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Benq UK's own website lists this machine as having a 854x 480 panel in it... isn't this a bit of an oops?!!!

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Yep, all the 5x DLPs i have seen i havent suffered any form of rainbows or eyestrain. With the earlier models i did suffer mainly from eyestrain.

5. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the 5x colour wheel does sound good but why risk this dlp that may give you headaches and has a smaller CR (even though the hs50 is a bit sneaky in this department). im trying to justify why i should think about buying this reduced price PE7700 instead of the hs50 as there are no apparant hs50 flaws (with new firmware) that i know of compared to the PE7700, yet a lot of people on here seem to love the benq. on paper the hs50 to me sounds better, is this a case of see each in action(whenever that may be) and decide for yourself or is the reduced price benq better value than the hs50 as it has something i dont notice on paper?

i was set on the hs50 yet this has prompted me to yet further research, sigh. i love it really lol

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. The Benq is the best thing to happen in digital FP since the AE100 arrived all those years ago.

I'm not commenting on how good (or bad) it is as I haven't seen it yet but it will really shake up the market. A great development for us, consumers :thumbsup:

:smoke:

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have demo'd the HS50 and I currently own an Infocus SP4805. To be honest, the HS50 didn't impress me that much. The contrast ratio didn't appear any better than my 4805's 2200:1 contrast and the pixels on the HS50 appeared more visible even though it is a higher resolution. I would go for the BenQ if it were me !!!

8. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm trying to decide between these two as well...

anybody know what lamp life for both are, approx..

and how much replacement bulbs cost..

cheers

Jai

9. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I've been extremely happy with my BenQ PB6100 projector and the PE7700 will be my next projector, once i've figured out how to get it passed the missus ;)

10. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, from reading a few of your other posts i get the idea you are extremely dlp orientated, i was just wondering if you have seen the hs50 in action and what you think of it. I have not yet but would be interested to hear your comments if you have and how it compares to your benq. cheers

11. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same dilemma. My projector upgrade was authorized on the weekend and these are the obvious two to look at.

I guess a comparative demo is in order. I've emailed nexnix to see when they're getting one in and if they're demoing it. Anyone else who might have both and will demo?

12. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    You tend to find that on here, either people are pro DLP's or against them due to rainbow's, most people will agree that the best suggestion is go and have a look at both and tell us what you think.

13. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    can the rainbow effect be determined by viewing the proj for a short time , say 10 mins, or is it generally better to watch a movie (somehow) to get an idea of whether rainbows affect you. Even though the 7700 has a 5x wheel i dont know if im affected and i cant think of anywhere i could watch a whole movie on a proj before buying. i know the ideal answer is to go and check it out for a while but on the off chance there might be something on the net of some funky video to watch to determine if a person is affected by rainbows then do tell, cheers

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    Certain scenes can highlight it so DVDs with those scenes on it can help you to see if you see rainbows within a relatively short period of time. Gladiator has some good scenes fir it - those with flickering candles IIRC.

It's the longer term eyestrain/headache effect that might need a longer viewing.

Gary.

15. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If viewing a DLP you should try Gladiator in any of the amphitheatre fighting scenes. The strong sunshine and dark shadows can really highlight rainbows and any nauseating effects if watched long enough, that's what killed DLP for me :(

16. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have both demoed a screenplay 5700 and also watched one casually whilst buying something else. I didn't see any rainbows, but on both occasions I had a splitting headache after about 30 mins, and found looking at the screen very "unrestful" visually. I wasn't looking for this effect - I only knew about rainbows, so I am sure it was genuine and puts budget DLP out for me. It wouldn't have been obvious after 10 minutes though - I'd try to watch a whole film if you can, just to check - it's a lot of money to waste on something you can't bear to watch.
    I now have a Sony HS50 and I love it.

17. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    Also try a home test when you've had a few drinks or are tired. This is the only time I tend to see them and can ruin a film for me !!

18. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I was okay with rainbows etc on this i.e i didnt see any, but did you notice the sde, i was looking for it and could see it in some scenes.

19. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am very tempted by the PE7700

But my concerns are:

Is this a 480 or 720 panel?
    Can I put it on a coffee table without major keystoning?
    Can I hear the fan?
    Anything better for <= £1500?

Can anyone help with these q's?

20. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Dangermouse i will try to answer some of those, as i am looking at getting one;

It is a 720 HD2+ DLP panel :thumbsup:
    From what i understand if the coffee table is level with the bottom of the screen then you shouldnt need any keystone.
    The fan is apparently rated at 26db in economy mode so is pretty quiet.
    As for anything better below £1,500 as i have not seen it so i cannot really comment on that but looking at the reviews then i think that you would be hard pressed to find anything better under the £1,500 price point.

21. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, sorry im a bit confused about the lens shift thing, the 7700 images cant be shifted is that correct? this would mean it would have to be in line with the centre of the projected image right. Is there any flexibility with the height you can place it? the last post says placing at the bottom of the screen is ok, is placing it at the top of the screen possible too? what is the keystone property? cheers

22. moosie

moosie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have talked myself out of the HS50 and have decided to go for the PE7700. Buying blind as both of these are not available to buy in Ireland. Now, prices. Anyone seen the PE7700 for less than £1485?

23. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Moosie,

Simon78 in the other PE7700 thread has ordered one from Audiovisual for £1,379 inc vat and delivery.

Foghorn

24. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    another convert :)

25. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Inzaman,
    Thanks for your input
    Bepin,
    I have done some extra research on the 0 offset and projector can be setup with the lens in line with the top or bottom of the projector.
    As for keystoning just watch the text at the start of any Star Wars movie and imagine that the picture is that shape.

26. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That is the price for the PE7800 - which, judging by the BenQ site, seems to be an inferior model (although the model number would have you believe otherwise)...