1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ PE5120

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cyberheater, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Has anyone tried this or even seen it.

http://www.benq.com/projectors/projector_pe5120.html

Specs are:-

Model Name PE5120
    Display Technology DLP™ Technology by Texas Instruments
    Panel 0.53” 12° DMD DMD™ x 1
    Native Resolution WVGA 854 x 480 (16:9)
    Brightness 1100 ANSI Lumens
    Contrast Ratio 2000:1

2. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn´t use that yet. But it apears to be a great projector. I´m looking for informations and i wanted to buy it.

If you now more about it. tell

Thanks. :thumbsup:

3. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Looking forward to seeing how this stacks up next the the NEC HT410.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I ended up getting a BenQ PB6100 PJ instead. It's a great projector and around 300 quid cheaper!

5. Fenimor

Fenimor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about 6200? Almost the same price as 5120, but with 1024x768 panel!

6. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 6200 its an awsome machine imo, using it now driving my media front end it has great blacks for the price! thoroughly recomended!

7. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. But what about the native ratio 4:3. I want the projector only for films with the dvd as font. And the PE5120 brings a native ratio 16:9.

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You can change the aspect ratio in the 6100 to 16:9 using the menu.

9. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cyberheater,

I was trying to colect informations about benq pe5120, i know that it´s a new projector, but if anyone could help, i apreciate.

Especialy about the similar especifications between benq pe5120 and infocus screenplay 4805.

What do you think about the diference of the speed of the rotation of color wheel (2x in benq and 4x in infocus), do you think that could create more rainbows effects in benq?

I realise that the gap between the two prices, for americans, its not importante because it´s similar (about $200), but for europeans the gap is huge.

Thanks

note: sorry about my english, but it´s not my language.

10. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    It was the huge gap in price in the UK that finally put me off.

What can I say. The higher the dlp disk spins the better.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'll third that for the Benq 6200. It's a great little projector !

I looked at the 5120 vs the 6200.

Only 1100 lumens against 1700.

Sure, it has native 16:9, but only on a 852 x 480 pixel DMD. Which is fewer pixels than on a 6200 in 16:9 mode.

I don't know what the price comparison is, but I think on paper the 6200 looks better.

12. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I would have to say that for DVD movies as a main use, the Infocus SP4805 has got to be the choice. It has been designed specifically for movies and has a specification that backs that claim up with faroudja DCDI video processing ( the same as found on their £5k SP7205 model) which removes jagged edges, motion blurring, picture noise etc., Beautiful, well saturated but not overblown colour straight out of the box calibrated to D65 ( as specified by Hollywood for most of their movies), Contrast ratio of 2200:1 ( and unlike many exaggerated quoted specs by PJ manufactures, this is very close to the tested ratio), 16:9 aspect ratio, 852 x 480 resolution ( which may not sound much but because of DLPs inherent design, never looks anything but smooth and detailed) which is an exact match for NTSC (Region1) DVD so needs no scaling.
    The BenQ 6200 has not been designed specifically for movies as can be seen by it's 4:3 aspect ratio, it's lack of video friendly inputs such as component, RGB, DVI etc, and it's reported bright, but unrealistic colours. This is more of a PC/presentation projector.
    Don't put all your emphasis on resolution when buying a projector, it's suitability for your intended purpose can produce a much more satisfying picture. In this case, watching DVD movies means going for a projector made specifically for that purpose.
    So for starters, the first thing you should be looking for is at least a 16:9 aspect ratio !

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well since the Infocus SP4805 costs about 40% more than the Benq 6200, I would expect it to be better. I bought the Benq 6200 because it was a good all-rounder - I do business presentations, and the pj actually belongs to my business.

I think you are being a little unfair on the Benq when you speak of unfriendly video inputs. The Benq 6200 accepts VGA, component, s-video and composite. What more do you need ? For a pj that's just a shade over £800 inc. VAT, it's excellent value.

14. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If the BenQ 6200 has direct component inputs then I indeed apologise. I was sure I read a review saying it only had VGA and composite unless you use an adapter.
    I didn't mean to imply that the BenQ was no good, only that it was not designed solely as a Home Cinema projector and as such is a bit of a jack of all trades, but master of none if you know what i mean.
    The BenQ is a fine all round projector for anyone on a budget, but if you are looking for the best in Home cinema on a budget, there are better choices out there.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well yes.... and no. The Benq component "adaptor" is simply a vga plug wired to three RCA jacks, which no doubt Benq charge an arm and a leg for :) However, you can buy cheaper alternatives (Ebuyer sell a VGA to component cable for use with expensive VGA monitors with component inputs, but has BNC plugs which you need to change or adapt). You can also make your own cable for less than a couple of £. Somewhere in this forum there is a link for a website showing how to do it. I accept that the Benq 6100/6200 probably isn't the best pj for home movies, but it is a damn good all-rounder :)

16. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PE5120 is now £698.93 inc VAT at Ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=78536

Just £100 less than the PB6200 and £100 more than the PB6100. Might be worth it over the 6x00 models for 16x9 material as there won't be any stray light from black (dark grey) bars above and below the image to reduce contrast. And the fact that it has extra sockets for component, svideo and DVI... could be just the projector for the first time buyer.

Just those bloody rainbows... I wish I didn't see them.

Curious as to why it has a yellow section on the colour wheel though.

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's a lower resolution projector, though, and a smaller lamp. 1100 lumens against 1500 lumens for the 6100.

18. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, the PB6100 is brighter (and man, is it BRIGHT!), but if you're watching a 16x9 DVD, the resolution is 800x450 on the PB6100 compared with 854x480 on the PE5120, so you end up with slightly better vertical resolution on the PE5120. Not that you'd notice much difference. (Since PAL is 720x576 pixels, both projectors can manage the 720 horizontal pixels, but the PE5120 delivers more pixels vertically for widescreen DVD)

In 16x9 mode on the PB6100, you only use 70% of the panel (with black bars top and bottom), so 30% of your lumens are lost (some of which are used to light up your room, since black isn't really black in those black bars, thus reducing overall image contrast)... which means you're essentially getting 1050 lumens when watching a widescreen DVD on the PB6100 compared to 1100 lumens on the PE5120. So in theory, the PE5120 should appear a wee bit brighter with more contrast.

Well, that's the theory ;)

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've got the 6200 anyway, which is 1024 x 768 and 1700 lumens. Well worth the extra couple of hundred, IMHO.

20. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the next three hours are going to be the longest of my life.

My 5120 (and Xbox!) has arrived and been signed for by my neighbour.

:clap:

Can I go home now?
    :lease:

21. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    nice one - mines still running a treat

Let us know what you think :)

22. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Holy crap this thing is incredible!!!!!
    :eek:

I was expecting to be impressed but this is just silly.

I've got the image projecting against a dark wall right now as I'm waiting on my screen and even now it looks superb.

Big, bright, crystal clear.

Best money I've spent since getting my 5.1 setup a few years ago.

:clap:

Can't wait to see it on a proper screen now.

23. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    wooohooo - told you it was good :)

I'm also kinda relieved having raved about it :)

24. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    And aren't you glad I spottted the deal with the free x-box :) Nice projector, better than I expected, used it a bit today (Even the wife is impressed, and got the 6ft wide screen up!) but untill I can get a ceiling mount and a couple more cables I'm a bit stuffed to use it properly :(

25. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes. It's an amazing bit of kit for the money. Well worth it.

I've had my PB6100 for around 4 months now and I still love it. Sure it could be quieter but when the movie starts and the 5.1 kicks off I can't here it.

26. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have got one problem though.

My DVD player has got component out on it. I've got a component to component lead which works great.

Previously I had the DVD player via scart to the TV and I also used the other scart socket on the DVD player to pass my PS2 signal through it (RGB).

Problem is that it seems the DVD player won't now pass the PS2 signal via the component outputs to the projector.

Fair enough I thought.

But today I got a Vivanco Scart to component/RGB lead and that doesn't work either. Have used it on my Pace box and the DVD player - nothing.

Have changed the output signals from RGB (the projector doesn't seem to like this even via component which is labelled as RGB (?!) which is odd).

So I'm confused. I don't know how to get the Pace freeview box (or the ps2/xbox etc) to the projector if I can't use a Scart to component/rgb lead. S-video may work, no idea but don't want to buy yet another lead that doesn't work.

27. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't believe that the dvd player will do scart->component conversion, only pass-thru. Just because a device has a scart and you can get a scart to s-video adapter, it does not mean the device will output a svideo picture via scart. You will need a scart/RGB to Y-U-V (for component) or scart/RGB to s-video (composite) conversion box, e.g.http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35810&TabID=1&source=14&doy=7m3 or http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30782&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=26m3. Of course yuv to yuv is the best way to connect if you have the relavant outputs, switched via your amp (if applicable).

28. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    I've gone dvi-d via my htpc and it looks awesome at 856x480p 50hz :)

29. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Mat.

I think the lead I bought is very misleading that's all. It gave me the impression that I can use the DVD player as a passthrough as I have been already.

It looks like I will need one of the convertors you've mentioned.

I can use the component to component for the DVD player that's fine. I'll settle for the s-video convertor for the ps2, Xbox and Freeview.

I'll mainly be using the DVD player on the projector in any case.

The PS2, Xbox and Freeview all output RGB scart - so I can plug my multi-scart box into the RGB scart to S-video convertor and then get an S-video lead and plug that into the s-video input on the proector.

That means I'll only have wasted £15 unless I can sell this other lead on.

30. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I need to upgrade my amp and dvd-player (the Yam 750 looks nice even does video/svideo->yuv up conversion which would save on wires). My dvd has s-video out so at the moment I'm using s-video everywhere till I start upgrading.

And yes I also bought a scart->svideo wire, but as it was from mapling they took it back no prob and I upgraded to the cheap scart->svideo switch which seems to work ok (can't compare it to the £100 ones that everyone raves about, can't believe it's as good)... Still need to get a mount for the PJ, it's got to go further forward than I had hoped so now I need a small pole as well :( oh well.