1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ PE5120 vs. Epson EMP-TW10H

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by benjiP, Jul 14, 2005.

1. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.

Would value any insights as to the preferred choice here for watching DVDs only. They're both exactly the same price right now.

Also, any recommendations of where I can see these and compare them in London.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Lo bud

This is a common question and to be honest you are right there is not much in it, Some would argue that the Benq has the higher contrast ratio but to be true when they are side by side you dont really notice it, I own the benq but I only settled for that because I prefere DLP as I find it gives a smoother presentation but if you are troubled by rainbows then the epson is the way to go.

What it comes down to is LCD or DLP and that is an argument long discussed and its kinda like the which came first the chicken or the egg situation as there are no rights or wrongs cause they both have pros and cons but having said that DLP is the newer Technology and I prefered it.

I am sorry I cant offer you a straight answer but I really dont think anyone will, it comes down to personal preference so In my opinion take you pick as they are both good entry level PJs.

If you live in the surrey area I would be happy to demo you the Benq as I remember what it was like trying to get one myself and I sympathise with you dilemma.

Cheer Darko :thumbsup:

3. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darko, Thanks for your reply - that's what I'd heard - and why I'm so keen to see the two of them side by side.

Thanks too for your offer to demo - really kind of you.

I'm not around that way though - and I'm sure there has to be a retailer somewhere in London that can show both - any ideas anyone...?

4. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any retailers on here who could demo these two in London...?

Anyone else know where this can be done?

Thanks again.

5. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    you will be hard pushed due to the fact that they are both budget pj and most places want to push the more expensive lines and rightly so as they will make more mark up on them but believe it or not I had a demo of the epson in PC world in greenwich ( might be worth a try) Luckily my bud bought a epson and I managed to compare the 2 properly.

Cheers Darko

6. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Darko - I'll check out PC Worlds...

Do I understand though, that given that rainbow artifacts aren't a problem for you, you felt the BenQ had the edge on picture quality?

Cheers again.

7. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    well not totally, I personnally found that the benq had a smoother image also seemed a little bolder but the benq I tested was new and the epson had 150 hrs on it, wether this played a factor in image I very much doubt it but ut of the 2 the benq had the edge IMHO, But many would argue it. I also had a look at a infocus screenplay 4805 now that was sweet and I did not see any rainbows on that but I am not sure wat they retail at now I beleive that they have just come down in price.

For your money you wont go wrong with the benq truth be know you will see more rainbows when you look for them.( and you will) lol .

people are scared off by rainbows and they are not like massive floods of colour flayling across your screen they are more like ...did I just see that kinda colour and as I said I dont see them anymore and most people are the same they see them at first and not at all after that but if you do suffer from them in a bad way it could be bad news so a demo is critical.

cheers Darko

8. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darko, Thanks again mate - and happy Monday morning.

I think I'm gonna go for the BenQ and return it if we see rainbows too badly - do you know if savastore would take a return on these grounds?

Other imnportant question is - which connections have you found to produce best results? Right, now it's time to decide on a progressive scan DVD player...

9. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Benji,

I just bought myself a BENQ PE5120 from savastore, I`ve had it a few days and I have to say I`m quite impressed with it. I had the same dilemma as you - I could`nt find anywhere to demo the PJ and was concerned I would suffer badly from "Rainbow effect".

I agree with Darko here : you will see them, but they are so minor they won`t bother you. For me I see them occasionally in the corner of my eye, but when you look in that direction, you no longer see it.

I think savastore have a returns policy - if you return it in perfect nick within one week you get your money back and only have to pay for the delivery.

but I`m enjoying my PJ for now :clap:

10. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh,

Forgot to Add, I`ve tried my TV,dvd and PC on this projector.

DVI is very good quality(from the PC to PJ), great for movies/games.
    S-video(dvd to PJ) is OK quality but I think Its better if i used the DVI on the PC for movies.
    Compositite is also OK for TV, but not great.

I have`nt tried component but that is considered good quality.

I think the best comparison I have for these connections is DVI vs S-video/Composite is like comparing a good VHS to DVD....VHS is "OK" but you`d rather watch a DVD :rotfl:

11. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks braindancer - what cables does the BenQ come with then?

12. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine came with an svideo,dvi,composite and component(I think - did`nt use it) cables - but they are quite short so bear that in mind.

13. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    For starters it is your consumer right to return goods I think you have 28 days secondly the good thing about benq is the door step switch they offer which means if there are any probs with the PJ they switch it on your doorstep and no questions are asked ( I used this)

I also got my 5120 from sava store and I recommend them but have a look on the web for the xbox bundle, Some companys throw in a free xbox when you purchase a 5120 a few guys in this forum got that deal.

Also the cables that come with it are not worth a rub if possible try to invest in a decent set of cables as when it comes to PJ they really effect the picture more than you could imagine

Good luck with your purchase

Darko

14. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if I am correct here, but I think if you return it in 7 days you get all your money back, but if you return in 7-28 days you may have to pay a 25% restocking fee(ouch!)...

15. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys.

So which connection works best for the PE5120 - component or DVI or something else...?

Nearly there now!

16. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Benji,

My understanding is DVI is best, but component is also very good(I`ve not used it but I think you`ll be hard pushed to notice the difference).

If your watching movies from a pc, use DVI, else if your using a DVD player, use component, although not all DVDs have this output.

Hope that helps :smashin:

17. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you can't get a standalone DVD player with DVI output then. Is that right?

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Have a look on the DVD forum - Samsung 950 / Panasonic S97 / Denon 1910 / there's also a Philips one just released I think / lots of others if you want to spend serious money.

But a decent component deck will also do a fine job...PJ :)

19. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are a lot of DVD players with DVI or HDMI output.
    It is just that up to recently they were pretty expensive.
    Some makes (Samsung, Yakamawa etc) have started releasing low cost DVI enabled players.

I am also about to get the 5120. Keep in mind though that with DVI you have some limitation with the length of cable. Up to around 7-10m you are safe. Above that, it depends on your DVD player or PC VGA card and the quality of the DVI cable.

So you will most likely have to test the cable before deciding.

With component, while there is a small loss in quality(some say very difficult to spot) you can run longer cables.

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I run 15m DVI (Lindy) cable from a Samsung 745 and it's clean as a whistle, though that's no guarantee it'll be OK for everyone.

I likewise run a 15m component from a Pio 575 and the image is stunning...PJ :)

21. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    I've tried them all on the 5120 and DVI-D via my HTPC was far superior to anything else - even component