1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ Pe-7700 with Arcam DV79

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cochinada, Aug 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cochinada

cochinada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone aware of any problems with this combination? I understand that DV79 does not provide 720p which is a shame as this would suite the native resolution of the BenQ. But even so is this a good match or what :confused: ?
    Thanks.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    AFAIK the Arcam is a well regarded player and don't be worried if it can't upscale - all this mularky about upscaling DVD's is mostly hype - I'm sure the projector will upscale the pic very nicely...PJ :)

3. cochinada

cochinada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks very much :smashin:

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I would use the progressive output from the DVD player if it has it. The scaling in the 7700 didn't look too good from a standalone player IIRC, but was much better from an HTPC which was using vga and outputting 1280 x 720 (which is progressive).

Do you have the player or are you thinking of buying it?

Gary.

5. cochinada

cochinada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the player already. I was considering this projector in particular.

6. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was going to buy the 7700 (until I realised DLP gave me eyestrain), and had discounted any player that didn't upscale to 720p, given the Benq's deficiencies in this area. I actually bought the Pioneer 868 as a partner to it (a bit premature, given my subsequent realisation about DLP and my eyes!).

You could buy the 7700 and then, if you weren't happy with the results, buy a scaler. That would still work out quite a bit cheaper than an Optoma H79 or Infocus 7205.

You might want to consider pairing the Arcam with a Sharp XV2000, which has a faroudja scaler, as I recall. Mind you, I have read in a few places that there is no difference in performance between the Benq and its nearly identical brother, the Tosh MT700, and that does have a faroudja scaler. There are hints that the Benq uses a faroudja. Maybe it's just badly implemented!

Squibbly

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Hi Squib,

I'd heard the Benq had Faroudja too, but it didn't look like it when I viewed it, so I don't really know what was going on there. Seemed to be jaggies and some combing going on via the standalone player, but no such problem from the HTPC.

Gary.

8. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gary

Bought the Pioneer 868 on your recommendation (followed by about 20 others from the usual trawling through avforums and avsforum), only to be poleaxed by the eyestrain with DLP. Great player though! DVDs have never looked so good, though sadly that's viewing on a CRT TV at the mo'. :( Haven't taken advantage of its many features yet.

I'll enter projector heaven one day, I'm sure!

Squibbly