1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ PB6200 dust problem?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by av_enthusiast, Jan 25, 2005.

1. av_enthusiast

av_enthusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,
    I purchased a BenQ PB6200 project about 4 months ago and initially was very happy with it - until I noticed a big white spot on the screen (whenever the picture is dark).

Since this projector has a 3 year warranty, I called BenQ's support with the intention of arranging for its replacement or repair by BenQ.

When I descibed the problem, the person on the other side said "yes, I saw this problem this before. There is nothing wrong with the projector itself, it is only dust (inside). You can either send it to us for cleaning or try to remove this dust yourself using a compressed air can."

I was intrigued by the possibility that this is only a matter of clean up, so when I asked "how do I access the inside of the projector", he said "not a problem. You just unscrew a few screws on the top". I then asked surprisingly: "and this will not void the warranty on the unit?". To which he answered: "Not at all. As long as you do not modify anything inside, your warranty is valid".

"Well", I said to myself, "if I can avoid the hassle of shipping the projector back and forth, waiting at least several weeks for the turnaround, why not give it a shot?"

So the next day I unmounted the projector from the ceiling and examined it: There was nothing on the outside that could hint about this annoying white spot problem. I tried to estimate the effort and risk involved in openning the projector. The more I looked at it the more reluctant I felt at openning it...

So, I tried to blow some compressed air through the ventilation opennings (without touching a single screw in the unit). I used for this purpose a Fellowes disposable duster like this: http://www.keysan.com/big/piccfel0974.html ).

I then powered on the unit again, hoping to see the problem gone. I was disappointed to see that the problem got... worse! Now there were numerous such white spots on the screen. Duh! I should have known that blowing dust around doesn't necessarily remove dust...

But at least it seems that BenQ's rep knew what he was talking about. The white spot problem is probably not a manufacturing defect, but rather a dust problem.

Realizing that with my lack of knowledge and tools I may actually worsen the projector's condition, I have no desire to open the unit to clean it as BenQ's rep suggested (over the phone...). So, I intend to actually call them again and arrange for a repair (cleanup to be more accurate).

But before I do so, I am curious to see how many more people have had similar experience with BenQ projectors? I know these are VERY popular (that's why I bought one), so there must be some people out there that faced the same exact problem, right?

If so, How did you solve it? Did you exercise your warranty or did you try to clean it yourself?

If you cleaned it yourself, was it as easy as BenQ's rep led me to believe?

If you shipped the unit back for repair, how long did it take before you received your projector back?

Also, it seems that despite the great ratings this projector receives, it has a weakness which is its sensitivity to dust. But... I searched and combed the web and found no reference to this. How come?

You answers and tip would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Victor

2. Chris Drake

Chris Drake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been running the 6200 for about 7 months now and picked up the same translucent white splodges after a very short period of time. I also suspect dust either on the inside of the main lens or on the main chip. I am loathe to try and strip the unit for the same reasons. It's not too irritating, and think I'll wait until bulb change before delving further.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I've got a 6100 unit which i've had for around 4 months and I too got a couple of dust blobs.

I've sent mine back for repair but they have given me a replacement to use while mine is getting fixed. And yes. I will be using the temporary replacement night and day on non-economy mode until mine is replaced. :thumbsup:

Good information about the lack of warrenty vioiding by opening up your PJ. A route that I might take next time.

Also. I'm thinking of building some sort of enclosure with some good quality hep filters (like my Dyson) to see if that will prevent reoccurance.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Got my BenQ back from the repairers and they've fixed the dust blob issue.

Next time I see them I'll ask them If I can open the machine up myself.

Good service from BenQ though :thumbsup:

5. cudfoo

cudfoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on my 4th 5120. All have had round white spots of identical size. This last one developed the problem after 40 hours. I also see spots above and to the side of the screen. These are not blobs but clearly defined round spots. Is this dust? Can it be cleaned by blowing the blub area? If it is dust why don't they have some kind of filter on these projectors? A lot of questions I guess...

These spots are clearly visable in dark sceens. They can also be seen by turning the brightness all the way down. Benq support has been good but I'm wondering if I made a mistake with this projector.