1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq PB6100 vs Benq PB2140

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Markybhoy, May 27, 2005.

1. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some advice guys, I am looking for a sub £600 projector for playing ps2, watching footie and dvd's.

I have looked about this forum and check reviews and the 2 above projectors seem to get good reviews.

I have a small room about 9 feet by 8 feet that I want to make into a wee cinema so I am not looking for a massive veiwing screen as the projector will only be about 8 feet away from the wall, can anyone give me any info as to what is the better projector for my needs.

Or even an alternative projector I will also be enquiring about a 5.1 system but will get the projector out of the way first.

Cheers

Marky

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
  3. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cyberheater, thanks for the reply.

I am a complete novice when it comes to projectors, is the et1 a good picture as I would not like to compromise on this if possible, how does it compare to a normal crt tv?

but i defo like the price

thanks for anymore info

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    You could also look at the BenQ 5120 - it's a native widescreen PJ, and is available at around the £600 mark or a little less (£520 at Ebuyer at the mo) From 8ft it should give you a picture between 4 and 5ft wide, which is arguably about as big as you really want to go in your room with standard resolution projectors.

If you are sensitive to DLPs rainbow effect, then another option might be the Epson TW10H - this is a standard resolution 16:9 LCD model, with a short throw - from 8ft it should give you a picture between 53 and 83 inches wide (61 to 96" diagonal).

These are both native 16:9 projectors - so you would have to decide which use is higher priority - PS2 gaming or DVD watching.

One aspect I'd pay particular attention to though, especially in your small room, is the audible noise of the projector itself - some models are quite loud (relatively speaking) and will seem even louder sat very close - it's no good having a great picture if the noise drives you insane :).

5. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Markybhoy

i have a benq pe5120 and it is top it even has a setting for gaming so you can use it in a lit room (I dont mean flood lighting) but a lamp on in the corner. it is pretty quiet and I get the wow factor every time I turn it on plus it is a native 16.9 which is kinda important if you are watching movies on it unlike the PJ you suggested I got mine from sava store £548.

Good luck in what ever you choose

Darko

6. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the info guys, this really is a wonderful sight, keep up the good work.

darko, is the quality anywhere near a crt tv, i have a sony 32fx68, sorry if this is a stupid question as i know nothing about projectors

i just want something maybe about 4 or 5 feet across with as good a picture as possible withing the budget of £600

cheers

7. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I ran my tosh 44 rear projector under it the other day and the quality was a close match you will be truly surprised by the quality and depth that the 5120 has considering the price.

this reveiw swung it for me and a few other members of this forum

http://www.projectorreviews.com.cnchost.com/review.asp?reid=20

and when you see the screen shots you will purchase straight away....

Good luck and I hope this reveiw helps

also there are no silly questions on this forum we are glad to talk about our toys lol.

8. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Darko, the review did really help, I think that this will defo do for me.

next question

if i was to mount it on a ceiling 7.5 ft from floor to ceiling, can you get cables long enough to run to the projector from a dvd player and a ps2. I will also have a coaxil cable for my tv input.

what are the best cables to use to connect up the:

ps2

dvd

and how would i connect up a coaxil cable to the projector, or will i have to run the coaxil cable into a video player then connect the video player up to the projector?

again sorry for so many question but I am as well getting the right info first time rather than scratching my head or perish the thought.......consulting a manual :nono:

cheers :clap:

9. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I have my 5120 ceiling mounted and I have my dvd connected via component (a must for Projector) and my freeveiw box connected via s-video and it seems to work well I got my cables online and they are both 10 meters long some would say this is too long but it works for me and as far as I can see as long as you buy quality cable it should be fine.

coaxil cable from tv is another case I am not sure how you would connect that to the PJ maybe you should invest in a freeveiw box and run s video from it. or the method you suggested of going through the vcr

Your ps 2 could be connected via composite ( the red yellow and white plugs) as its only for gaming.

Anymore questions are welcome

there are some more reveiws here

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-PE5120-user-reviews.htm

these ones are from peoples personel experiences try and spot my reveiw

Cheers Darko