1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq PB6100 or Toshiba ET1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tonydsam, Jun 10, 2005.

1. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you guys give me some advice? I have posted on here once before asking a similar question and I have been looking at your website for a number of weeks now. I am trying to decide on which projector to buy, I am looking only to use it for DVD's and I am on a limited budget of maximum of £500. I will obviously need to buy a ceiling mount and screen as well (Any advice where to get these?) After reading lots of posts it seems that the Benq PB6100 and the Toshiba ET1 are both good bets. I will be postioning it about 3-4 metres away from the screen in my lounge if this makes any difference to which one I should go for. I will be playing the DVD's from a DVD player which does have progressive scan and most of my DVD's are 16.9 which I know nether of these projectors are but does it really make much difference on lamp life? Which do you think would be a better choice, also is there any difference between the Benq PB6100 and the PB6110 as the spec looks the same but the PB6110 is about £50 cheaper?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    The ET1 is 16:9 and if you want it mainly for DVD's you'd be better with a 16:9 PJ.

The Benq 5120 is the one you should be looking at vs the ET1.

If you want to save a bit of money, go for the ET1 (note: no optical zoom which may be a bind).

If the 5120 is in budget then go for that.

The ET1 is LCD, the 5120 is DLP - presume you've read up on the differences?

...PJ :)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Better still, pay a little more and go for the Benq 6200.

1280 x 1024 resolution, 1700 ANSI lumens

Great pj :thumbsup:

4. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read about the differnces between DLP and LCD but there doesnt seem a clear cut answer to which is best. I must admit I havent looked at the Benq 5120 so I'm not too sure of the spec.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Correct answer! :)

A minority can see the rainbow effect with DLP, so the advice is usually to dem DLP first. Some also say that DLP can be more "fatiguing" to watch, unfortunately you'd need a long demo to pick that one up. By all accounts for the vast majority it will not be an issue.

www.benq.co.uk has details, I only point it out 'cause benq themselves class the 6100/6200 etc as data projectors where as the 5120 and its more expensive siblings are classed as home theatre...PJ :)

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a great fan of my tosh but if you plan 3-4m throw then I don't think it's an option. The fixed zoom will give 100inch (approx 2.5m) diag. screen at 3m and a 4m it'll be more like 140inches.

Thats a big screen, a bigger screen than it has the resolution or brightness to cope with.

The PE5120 will do 75-90 inch at 3m and 100-120 inch at 4m, these seem more sensable sizes to me.

I've not seen the 5120 so won't comment on its abilities (but it is more expensive than the ET1 and a new design so it should be better).

The problem with using a 4:3 design to watch 16:9 movies (like the PB6110 or 6200) is that your using a fair part of it's display to show black - this means your blocking a fair part of the light so when showing 16:9 a 16:9 pj will be brighter than a 4:3 one even if they have the same lamp.

If you after saving money alot of people make a screen from blackout fabric (the Ikea blackout blinds are popular but maynot be available in a big enough size)

7. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I am definitely leaning towards the 5120 but as it is 16:9 will I be able to use it for standard DVD's that are in 4:3? I think I have all but ruled out the Toshiba ET1 as it seems as though I might be losing a fair bit of quality for a saving of £90.Also does anybody have any links to buy the screens and ceiling mounts? I am on a very tight budget so I would consider an Ikea blackout blind as suggested below but how much are these and would I lose a lot of quality, also how would I mount it too the ceiling as I assume it would meant to be put on a wall?

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Yes no problem, either with vertical black bars either side or it probably allows you to stretch the pic...PJ :)

9. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any suggestions for a similiar model that isnt DLP as I dont know if my wife and I suffer from the dreaded rainbow affect?

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's only one way to find out if you do - audition !

To be honest, the effect isn't that "dreaded". A very small number of people say they experience nausea, dizziness or headaches when they watch DLP projectors, but it is a very small number. A larger number of people can see the rainbow effect to varying degrees, and some people don't see it at all. Even if you do notice the effect (as I do), you may well decide (as I have) that a big screen with a few rainbows here and there is preferable to a small screen. To be honest, the first day I had my projector, I only saw the rainbows when I started to look for them. They are not there all the time, and you really only notice them when there are big black to white variations on pictures.

11. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks everyone for your help, I think I will go for the Benq 5120. I am going to go to a shop and see if I can see any rainbow effects on any of their DLP projectors although they wont be the 5120 it should give me an idea if I am suseptable to them. Im sure I will be back asking more stupid questions.