benq HD 1920x1080 37" HDCP for £999 - is it too good to be true?

asherpat said:
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=313532&cks=PRL

anyone seen/heard of this thing? sounds too good to be true. where wud one be able to see it at all?
it is cheap for a 37", from the looks of it it doesn't much in the way of connectivity, would be ideal for 360 at that price though as it has vga in so I could just buy the vga lead, and if the native res is 1920 x 1080 thats impresseive as is the 8ms response rate. mmmm, think i'll wait and see if some people take the plunge.

EDIT - Ah even more of a bargain just found the show specification at the bottom.lol

ooh 1 component, cool.

dvi-hdcp is that what u need for sky+hi-def? thought it was hdmi?

That is very, very interesting.

Why? An extended 4 year (5 year total) warranty is only £194 at www.warrantyex.co.uk

They don't list 'BenQ' so an email will be needed.

Looking at this it may be the DV3250 32" set.

They must mean this I wonder if it really is a 37" and not the 32"?

I have been trying to find a shop here (in Switzerland) with a 3750 on display so I could actually see it in action.

Have seen the 3250 and I must say it is a very nice looking -and cheap set, -however the panel is only 1366 x 768 in comparison to the higher res 3750.

Unlike the 3250 the 3750 does not have a scart connection, so one would probably need to use component or the VGA to connect Sky etc. The lack of 1080p compatibility has been reported in the AVSforum, but is only really an issue for HTPC experts (IMHO).

Anyone seen the 3750 yet?

Waynej said:
dvi-hdcp is that what u need for sky+hi-def? thought it was hdmi?

DVI-HDCP is the same as HDMI, just another connector, so it will work fine with all copy-protected HD material such as SkyHD, HDDVD and Blueray movies.

asherpat said:
Smithy, i saw on US site that it supports 1080i but wonder why wud a native 1080 panel not support 1080p?

Ask the Philips 37PF9830 owner's ................ :devil: They can only get 1080i on their 1080p panels.

Even at the increased price you could still buy 2 of these Benq 37" panels for the price of the Philips and still have change for the latest Dual tuner freeview pvr.

At least with 1080i material the panel does not have to scale to 768 lines, so PQ of 1080i should be better than on a 768p panel, however the devil is in the detail, and the application of this technology.

Why no 1080p:-
Apparantely it is because 1080p is very "new" and the chipsets are not readily available to decode 1080p inputs. Intergrated chipsets for "normal" HD 720p/1080i are proven and reliable. A separate 1080p solution would be expensive and I expect they did the "math" and that they do not perceive that the "market" demands it (who has a HTPC anway :suicide: ).
The US market is only just getting 1080p panels, it will take a while for this to tickle down to us european second technology class citizens.

in such case Rocky, i wait for the 1080p. Have waited all these years, can wait another couple of days ;)

Some users have 1920x1080p working using DVI-D cable. You just need a HDCP compatible graphics card for it to work. I've an x800xt so that should do the job. You also need powerstrip and adjust for extra blanking. I hope to god this is the case because the pf9830 is a LOT more expensive.

Onyxia thx for the post (at least someone can use the search facilities :D ).

Where did you see the reports, can you provide a link......sounds plausible.

I had read on AVSFORUM.COM that 1080p was only available for video inputs, so what you are reporting about HDCP enabled DVI-D's could be correct. And the slight adjustments for overscan could be accomplished with Powerstrip, or even within the HDCP videocard drivers.

On my TEVION LCD (1366x768 Panel) when using my PC, if I use 720p input by DVI-Video mode, I have to rescale ATI HDTV custom resolution to 1248x700 to remove overscan, but I prefer this image to DVI-D 1366x768 (very strange, as DVI-A (VGA output) is very good at 1366x768, slight shimmering but better pixel mapping).

I'm just as excited as you Rocky. :)

I thought I read it here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6408383

Rereading now wakeup360 doesn't confirm what display he's using. There's also someone on the pf9830 thread saying that he got 1080i working through DVI. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1999225&postcount=74 So theres some sort of hope with unofficially supported resolutions. Since the benq only accepts 1080i on a DVI with HDCP enabled. Someone who has it might want to try using DVI HDCP card with Microsoft Media Center, that might enable some flags or settings that the normal xp doesn't have.

Whats the visual difference between 1080i and 1080p on a computer anyway? For video the benq has Faroudja processing so that is a great plus.

MJR600 thx for the links............ The Benq websites worldwide have always reportedly 1080i (1920x1080@30Hz) ability, it is the 1080p (1920x1080@60Hz) ability which has been attempted unsuccessfully by many PC user's. This latest twist of a HDCP enable video-card may trick the 1080p mode with the DVI (HDCP) input.

Until a HDCP enable 1080p device other than PC (are MAC's HDCP???), comes along the 1080p cannot be tested. Eventually PS3 will be 1080p, there is a upscaling DVD player (HDMI) that does 1080p (waiting for firmware update!)available on ebay, but its probably pants:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Definiti...oryZ3316QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Onyxia
The main benefit of 1080p would be pc games (60fps verses 30), there are some 1080p High Def films out. As you suggest LCD panels are progressive anyway, and need to deinterlace the 1080i signal, the PC "may" be better at de-interlacing 1080i video material, or scaling 720p material than the Benq internal faroudja chip.

I checked out the AVSFORUM link and the member has got a WUXGA 1920x1200 screen to work at 60Hz (probably Dell 24"), the Benq is 1920x1080, so I think he is still trying to resolve HDCP issue.

Windows Vista is meant to have HDCP,and Beta versions of the OS and ATI Vista drivers are available, so this may be better than the XP MCE approach.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
This set, and it's 46" sibling is slated for official UK release and spec next Feb/Mar, when Sky+ HD launches.
I doubt £1K for a 37" full HD panel, but then again, depends on how agressively Benq decide to attack the market, as only users of their PC monitors will likely know the name and how good those products tend to be. The odd QVC shopper may also know the name from their digital camera, but they are in the minority, I'd imagine.
I'd figure and bank on £1500 ish for the 37" - if it's cheaper, then a welcome surprise that'll be rather than a disappointment.

edit:
After checking the link in the OP's post, it would seem to be the right price for the right model - the link at the bottom does go to the 37".
However, I find the connections puzzling - have a look.

Input Connections

Composite AV (2)
2 S-Video + Audio
Component (Y Pb Pr / Y Cb Cr) + Audio (2)
D-Sub
PC Audio
DVI-HDCP + Audio
RS232

No HDMI?
No SCART with RGB?
2 Composite AV? Who the hell would use that nowadays?
Is that 2 audio connections or 2 Component with audio?
RS232 - firmware updates by the user?

Sounds like a parts bin got raided. Buy one, get 49 free? With a deal like that, I suppose it was too much to pass up.
Mind you, 32" has RGB SCART, so maybe it's a simple cock-up by whomever wrote up the spec in general or for the website specifically.

I hope and pray they sort those connections out for the UK model with the approriate ones that this panel needs, never mind deserves.
Still, £1100 is a bloody steal, and even if it does go to £1300 with the connections sorted, that's still a bloody steal.

For your information.........the US Benq models (S-Video) and European Benq models (SCART) share the same model codes. ie the US DV3250 has S-Video and European DV3250 has SCART. Therefore the DV3750 will "probably" (could be an expensive assumption) also have SCART's, and not S-Vid's.

As you have noted there is a thread on the DV3250 (32") and the concensus seems to be that the 1st scart is RGB despite initial skepticism.

The german & Dutch AV Fourms have posts about the DV3750.

DVI (HDCP) is broadly accepted as being the same as HDMI. Only lacking digital audio, which does not seem to be enabled on many products yet any way.

The 1080p issue could be done to HDCP version 2.0 I cannot find much information at the moment, but the US AVSFORUM.COM member (linked above) has the DV3750 and is actively trying to achieve 1080p on his TV.

The reason it does not have HDMI is because it is a PC monitor just like the Dell 2405, it is not an LCD TV but a PC Display...

meansizzler said:
The reason it does not have HDMI is because it is a PC monitor just like the Dell 2405, it is not an LCD TV but a PC Display...
hmmm well it has a built in tuner so maybe its an LCD TV with a PC input. In US you can buy it with or without tuner fitted, but europe model comes with tuner. There were many sets fitted with DVI before HDMI become more prevalent, so I think lack of HDMI does not imply a PC monitor

It has TWO scart connections.

www.komplett.co.uk doesn't give accurate information.

The manual can be downloaded from Benq website:

ftp://62.2.173.100/lcd_tv/manuals/dv3750/dv3750_pal-en.pdf

pjskel said:
This set, and it's 46" sibling is slated for official UK release and spec next Feb/Mar, when Sky+ HD launches.
I doubt £1K for a 37" full HD panel, but then again, depends on how agressively Benq decide to attack the market, as only users of their PC monitors will likely know the name and how good those products tend to be. The odd QVC shopper may also know the name from their digital camera, but they are in the minority, I'd imagine.
I'd figure and bank on £1500 ish for the 37" - if it's cheaper, then a welcome surprise that'll be rather than a disappointment.

edit:
After checking the link in the OP's post, it would seem to be the right price for the right model - the link at the bottom does go to the 37".
However, I find the connections puzzling - have a look.

Input Connections

Composite AV (2)
2 S-Video + Audio
Component (Y Pb Pr / Y Cb Cr) + Audio (2)
D-Sub
PC Audio
DVI-HDCP + Audio
RS232

No HDMI?
No SCART with RGB?
2 Composite AV? Who the hell would use that nowadays?
Is that 2 audio connections or 2 Component with audio?
RS232 - firmware updates by the user?

Sounds like a parts bin got raided. Buy one, get 49 free? With a deal like that, I suppose it was too much to pass up.
Mind you, 32" has RGB SCART, so maybe it's a simple cock-up by whomever wrote up the spec in general or for the website specifically.

I hope and pray they sort those connections out for the UK model with the approriate ones that this panel needs, never mind deserves.
Still, £1100 is a bloody steal, and even if it does go to £1300 with the connections sorted, that's still a bloody steal.

Nice manual, thx for the link.

As with the DV3250 the manual confirms AV1 scart is RGB (see Page 15). Also has a Real mode on video aspect ratio's (see Page 16), I hope this would also apply to graphic sources (defined as PC, component & DVI), giving 1:1 pixel mapping.

As is normal published supported PC resolutions max out at 1024x768 (just like Toshiba manuals).

Just have to wait a little longer for someone to buy one........

are there any reviews on any site about this screen?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom