1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq 8700 or Epson TW500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DMT, Jul 8, 2004.

1. DMT

DMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a Pioneer 868 and a room 18' x 11'. I think that I am after one of these two. It will unfortunately project over the 11' because of room layout.

Have seen 3 films on a Dell 3300MP and seen rainbows once when tired. Both PJ's are around 2-2.5K + VAT.

Room will not be light controlled (just pulled curtains and night time viewing).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot.

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The only real answer to this is to get demos. It is the only way you'll ever know which you personally prefer.

The TW500 is supposedly one of the best LCDs, but , in general, I'd go for DLP every time. The blacks are usually better and there is just something about the image that feels more filmy.

It sounds like rainbows shouldn't be a problem for you, the Dell you mention sounds more like a presentation projector, it is brighter than a home cinema projector and has a slow colour wheel. Both things can amplify seeing rainbows. So if you had to make an effort to see them you should have no problem with the Benq as it has a much faster colour wheel.

The revised Benq 8700 with the HD2+ chip sounds a really great projector.

If you have a significant other who will often watch films with you, then it doesn't hurt getting them to view a DLP too first.

Cheers
    Marc

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    The revised Benq. What was revised and what was/wrere the revisions

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I believe they fixed a few minor issues, but the main upgrade was that they all now come with HD2+ panels rather than the HD2 panels.