BenQ 8700 HTPC DVI ??

This pj has to be the sleeper product of the year! Its release was mostly overlooked due to the mass of more recognisable brand names that released their own pj's at the same time.

Glad to see Mr Dundas has one. I recall that you were one of the first buyers of the Sony 10HT and the cinematrix player and your reviews/comments on these prompted many folks to buy them as well, myself included.

You've been very quiet for the past few years, glad to see you here at long last and look forward to reading more of your very interesting comments/reviews!

Paul

Hi Paulb,

Yes, I did have an early Cinemarix/HT10 combination and it has served me well. I've still got the Cinematrix equipped DVD player and still use it for general DVD playback on projector and TV when I can't be bothered to mess about with a PC. At some point I may consider a newer DVD player with DVI-out (something like the Pioneer 868i) but I'll probably wait a while to see what other manufacturers come up with in competition. I haven't got around to hooking up the 720p output of the Cinematrix modded player to the Benq for want of some BNC to Phono adapters but I will do so when I've got some spare time and see what the result is.

I have a lot of respect for the old 10HT - at the time it was on the market it was an excellent performer and had no real competition if you wanted 16:9 native aspect. Certainly, black levels are not a strong point but it can give a very pleasing picture none-the-less. Detail on the 10HT is no where near as good as the Benq off DVD (from all sources) but fed with a genuine HD signal off a D-VHS tape it comes closer than you might expect to newer models.

What is amazing is that things which, three years ago, required non-standard (expensive) mods and £5k+ projectors can now be achieved on a £2k projector and a DVD player from Richer sounds.

I first saw demos of the HD2 projectors at last year's CES in Las Vegas (although they'd been around since the previous Autumn) and it was the first time the quality jump seemed large enough to give me the upgrade itch. As the Benq is the cheapest, performs as well as the others and has a 3 year warranty it makes a good case for its self.

Just a quickie for now, I received my BENQ yesterday. Many thanks to Ken from Ivojo who really helped me out in ensuring that the PJ was suitable for my requirements and my equipment - prior to me parting with any cash, really top service.

The room although partially decorated is still being completed, hence the PJ has not been mounted yet (will be mounted Thursday). All I have had the chance to do is throw an image against the screen rested on my speakers !. The screen I am using is the Beamax 'A' series 1.2 Gain Fixed Frame, 5.5 Foot Wide. Reason for sceen size is room constraints, I could get a 6 foot in at a push, and may well do in future!!

Attached to my HTPC via DVI into the PJ at 1280x720 (DVI-HDCP derived setting from Powerstrip via Radeon), the PQ is amazing. Truly. Blacks are indeed very black - blacker than I expected if truthfull, it also a very bright picture with vibrant colours - very puncy cinematic image. In short I am very happy, this is a much more pleasing experience than any of the plasma displays that I have had in the past - it really is a different kettle of fish, dont know why I didnt go down front PJ route sooner.

Its also worth noting that the PJ *will* accept different refresh rates via DVI, usefull for optimising and was important to me.

Obviously have more of a chance to play over next few days (roll on the weekend !), also by then the room will be complete (bar hiding cables ....), Ill post some pictures when complete. However from what I have seen so far, both in demonstrations with my equipment and yesterday evening, I think I am on to a winner !! :smashin:

Originally posted by pdundas
Yes, I'm in the UK. I got mine from ebuyer - seemed as cheap/quick as anyone. About £3900+VAT.
you can get it cheaper at ivojo at £3,173.68 inc. VAT

Nice one tbar, so are u still gonna get a plasma or has the pj blown u away. as u now i was realy keen on the pio 504 but an absolute chance demo of a PJ ended all that.

I must try to demo the 8700 sounds like a bargain buy

Gandley - Plasma has been and gone for the time being TBH !, a dedicated (if small) room with Front PJ is far more to my liking !. Defintaley view the BQ8700 and see what you think.

With regards to the price, its is a bargain, to good a bargain to miss out on - hence my purchase !!. Interestingly the price is far lower than anywhere else, the lowest that I have seen it elsewhere is £3600+VAT !!.

Originally posted by homethx
you can get it cheaper at ivojo at £3,173.68 inc. VAT

That's a good price - cheapest I've seen it and cheaper than most (if not all) US dealers are quoting.

Tbar.

i bought the H56 to tide me over till the marantz 12s3 comes out but thats gonna cost a hole heap and im not sure if its going to be £2500 better than the 8700.
Oh i just noticed u have a lumagen vision. does this make a real difference to pic via analogue and does it feature a `cue`bug filter.
which de-interlacing chipset does it use and does it scale well

Gandley, have not set up Lumagen with BenQ yet. With my plasma I used it predominently for deinterlacing/scaling terrestrial TV (used HTPC-DVI for DVD Playback). The latest firmware removes Chroma Bug. Its based on SI504 chipset. Very happy with it.

Thats an astonishingly good price! Puts other HD2 prices to shame. I bet BenQ are still making a hefty profit even at that price.
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom