BenQ 8700 - 16:9 HD2 at less than £5000 inc VAT

Boris Blank

Prominent Member
Reaction score
(back at last, thanks Spectre)

The BenQ 8700 DLP projector just received a VERY glowing review here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/benq-8700-project or-8-2003.html . (Mods, hope this is ok to link to?)

For folks that don't know, the Home Theatre HIFI guys are some of the most respected in the industry and do an amazing amount of very detailed technical tests under the title of " Secrets of Home Theater" at the website, well worth a read on its own. A good review from these guys is something very special indeed.

Anyway, what makes this event particularly interesting is the price - for what amounts to a superb HD2 16:9 projector (and basis of the chassis for the far more expensive Runco) the price is a staggeringly low $5999 (approx £3750)! And thats the MSRP, not the street price which will be even lower. A quick search reveals the UK price to be £3995 plus vat - very, very good indeed.

At last we are seeing good projectors at genuinely realistic prices. Bliss, perfect bliss.

However, before rushing out and buying one, it might well be worth waiting to see what else might appear at the upcoming CEDIA show in the US. Some folks are expecting some very nice surprises (HD2+ seems to be high on the "likely to appear list" - ohhh Betty!).
Regards,
Paul

Something else to think about - this sort of pricing is bound to push prices of all DLP projectors downwards so even if the BenQ is a bit out of reach, you may well be able to pick up a lower specced machine (whether a current or future model) at a price below what we pay today.
paul

You can get that fine machine now. here

The whole reveiw had a positive slant and to most purposes sounds like a massive jump from the likes of the HS10 in similar proportion to the jump from ae100 to hs10 but what a shame that it doesn't seem to pixel perfect the 1280*720 via dvi:rolleyes:

Is this the same as the Runco CL 510 projector?

I thought Runco were at the extreme high end?

Regards

Parmenion

I dont think the runco has a native 16:9 panel for starters.

It provides the guts of the Runco 710. Most obvious difference is the packaging and the lens. There may well be other differences but whether they are significant we will need to await a detailed comparison to find out.

Runco are very good at re-badging and re-packaging other folks products and reselling them at a vastly higher price. Sometimes they tweek the products but whether the benefits and price differences are worth it is another matter.

All HD2 projectors seem to provide roughly the same level of picture quality so a cheapo may well perform at the least very, very closely to an over-priced hyped up branded one.

We'll hear more about the issue with the 720p and PC's fairly soon - hopefully it will be in a positive way ;)
Paul

Any real world prices yet,if can get to< £4000 i would buy one if its good enough for runco good enough for me :D

LOL

UK mrp is £3995 plus vat (see link above). I think <£4k street price is a real possibility by the end of the year, possibly sooner depending on CEDIA (man, a lot of hopes are riding on CEDIA, fingers crossed).

This would have cost the guts of £8-10K this time last year (still does if you are mug enough to buy a top brand version!).

I would caution that, as always, get a demo of a few projectors before buying. Also, this is the first of many new models due in the next couple of weeks, lets see what else pops out the woodwork before jumping in!
Paul

BenQ have confirmed that there is an issue with 720p using an HTPC. The good news is that they are addressing the matter and a firmware fix will be available soon.

Paul

BenQ have confirmed that there is an issue with 720p using an HTPC. The good news is that they are addressing the matter and a firmware fix will be available soon.
The dvi port you on about ?

Yep, the DVI port was fine with a DVD player sending 720p but had problems when used with a DVI equipped HTPC. A potential show-stopper for a lot of folks I would think but not for much longer!

Not heard any reports of any problems using the BNC connectors but they are old hat now so doubt anyone tried :laugh:
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom