1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 7700 Sceen help!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spikerules, Jul 21, 2005.

1. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a screen to go with my new BenQ 7700 @ around a price of £300 measuring 10ft diagonal. My wall is made of plaster board which means I probably shouldn't get a heavy screen;)

I'm new to the PJ market and was wondering whether I would need any extra's e.g gain etc. Any suggestions?

2. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for the missspell in the title :(

3. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    10ft Diagonal seems a bit on the small side to be honest. :eek:

Seriously though that size of screen will be massive. You may therefore need a screen with a bit of gain.

A screen that large for £300 notes. DIY may be the only option. Check out the likes of Beamax e.t.c. and see what they do.

Do you want a fixed screen, or pull down. Fixed is far better to avoid ripples and curls.

I imported an 84 inch Carada screen from the states. Massive black velvet borders, which absorb all overscan and no ripples at all. Did cost about £550 with al import costs, but great quality for the price.

Enjoy your BenQ I'm may be joining the BenQ club myself very soon. :D

4. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zag,

My wall is 7ft accross and I want to fill it:) But on second thoughts that is a little too bug! I want something easy to install and get up and running asap. What screen size would you recommend and from where?

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    As a rule of thumb, measure how far away you'll be sitting from the screen, divide by 1.5 - that's probably the biggest screen width you should look at.

Or even better, set up the PJ, project onto the wall, see what size is comfortable, and go for that...PJ :)

6. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I sit 11 ft back from a 6ft width screen.

Exact model here;

http://www.carada.com/detail.aspx?ID=97

Gives me a 6.7ft diagonal which works well in my room.

PJTX100's advice is good, just project onto your wall and see what you are happy with. Bear in mind though that things like screendoor can be more evident the bigger you go and if you intend to use your PJ for video games played at full 16:9 too big can be over bearing. I find Halo 2 makes me feel sick after a while.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I sit about 10ft back from a 6ft wide screen which for me is absolutely perfect.
    I did have a 7ft wide screen at this distance and found that i kept glancing left and right to see the entire picture. Try and project the image on the wall to see what you feel comfortable with, and remember bigger is not always better.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You won't want to sit any closer than 1.5 times screen width - so from your maximum viewing distance, divide that by 1.5 and that will give you your screen size.

Any closer and you will see the individual mirrors/pixels (screendoor). The only way to eliminate them will be to defocus the lens.

The initial need is to go for the largest picture you can fit, but that isn't always practical due to limitaions in field of view (like Inzaman has said), or limitations in the technology (screendoor).

Get the pj first and project onto the wall, then see what size works for you after you have been viewing for a while. There are ways to measure and calculate optimum screen size depending on what kind of image you're after - the cinema look or the tv/plasma look for example.

Gary.