1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

benq 6200/7200 or Z2? New HT basement.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gorilladf, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Gorilladf

Gorilladf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't thank this site enough for the knowledge I already have. So I'll try to be breif as possible on my question.

I'm building a NEW HT in my basement. I'm building it from scratch, so I'll have all sorts of lighting options. That won't be a problem. But the room is only about 12 feet wide. However I'm building a DEEP sort of shelf behind the couch to have the equipment and projector. So the projector can be 15 feet away from wall no problem.

So now I'm thinking people will be sitting about 8-10.5 feet away from screen depending on the kids sitting on floor or whatever. I'm leaning away from LCD because of screen door effect due to distance. Does this seem reasonable?

Which is the ONLY reason I'm shying away from the Z2.

So that leaves me with Benq 6200 or 7200. But I can't seem to see why I would want the 7200? Looks like the 6200 is the way to go? Tigerdirect has a great price of $1200 right now.

So does all this sound good? I'm willing to spend $1800 if thre is something better. Also I'm looking to use 90% wide screen DVD movie watching. Hoping to get 100+ inches wide on wall.

Also , for the begining, I'm going to use the wall. Screen later. I see white w/ a little grey is the way to go. But to throw back a little more light, should it be flat, satin, or semigloss? I plan to paint the rest of the wall flat black, and the side and rear walls some sort of satin "theater red" With red curtains for sound absorbtion ;)

2. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I would not think that the Benq PB7200 is worth considering for your home theatre it has 2200 ANSI Lumens, which in my opinion is way too bright.

Why not also consider the Optoma H30 or the Infocus 4805 both DLP and the Hitachi PJ-TX100 which is LCD, these should all be in your price range.

3. Gorilladf

Gorilladf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I just saw the thread about the 4805 which looks pretty nice. Smaller native res, but faster and more segs colorwheel. Lumens are pretty low, but is the newer TI DSP chip then the 6200.

Decisions, decisions. :)