1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 6100 RGB

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Edt, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi..

got myself a 6100 from ebay.. very pleased with it. Running with a long s-video cable from DVD player. Has anyone got it running RGB ? Help please! Assume RGB > VGA cable but dont want to spend the £££s unless know it's correct way.
    Ed

2. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In case anyone else trying.. successful using an RGB > BNC cable. Worked 1st go with NTSC DVD, just have to update my Cambriddge Audio DVD player (to allow PAL progressive scan playback) & it'll be perfect.
    regards, Ed

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    How do you find the 6100.

How are colour and contrast.

How deep are the blacks. I'd really like to know.

Also, how loud is it.

Please post your impressions.

Ta.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you want a much cheaper component video cable, Ebuyer.com do a "Belkin Pro Series High Performance 5 BNC Monitor Cable 1.8m" for just over £10 + VAT (Quickfind Code: 28640). This has 5 BNC plugs for the component outputs, usually for connection to expensive component VGA screens. However, you can either cut the BNC's off and solder some RCA phono jacks, or buy some BNC<>phono adaptors from Maplin Electronics.

I have a Benq 6200, and it works a treat. You just connect the Red, Green and Blue plugs, (assuming that you have RCA phono jacks on your DVD player), and leave the others disconnected. I've seen other component video <> VGA cables selling for £80+ :smashin: EBuyer also do a progressive scan / component video output DVD player for about £50.

5. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a 6200, not using it though as its awaiting ceiling mounting, i found that because my dvd player only has rgb scart i had to seperate the sync, but other than that its perfect and almost no rainbows!

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The 6200 is a great little projector. The reason why there is so much less colour fringing is because the colour wheel in the Benq turns 3 times as fast as some of the cheaper projectors. To get the best out of it requires progressive scan. Keene Electronics do a box called a PV200 which converts any composite video, S-Video or VGA source to VGA/component video output, with progressive scan, and it includes an analogue TV receiver as well for £85. The downside of the box is that it only seems to have a limited range on the analogue to digital conversion, so it's difficult to get a good black level and avoid crushing whites.

The fan noise is very low, by the way - not much louder than a Sky+ box. The black level is quite good, but I have nothing to compare it against. You're always fighting for good black level on a projector, because the screen can pick up light from all sorts of places.

7. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

ta for ebuyer.com tip! using a mate's cable at the mo & was worried would cost a packet. Know a good place to RGB extensions from ? (to extend this from 1.8 > around 4 m)

regards, Ed

8. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    blimey which one is it ? Happy with my Camb Audio one, but it doesnt play DivX movies which is a real shame
    Ed

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's the Ellion DVX-520C.

Spec:
    Slim Mpeg4 Divx Compatible DVD Player
    Only 44mm height
    Plays DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW MP3 & JPEG files Compatibility
    Progressive Scan Out
    Downmixed Stereo Output
    Dolby Digital/DTS Decoder
    Component/S-Video/Composite Output
    Coaxial & Optical Digital Audio Output
    NTSC/PAL Support
    Maximum 128x Fast Scannig

Details
    Video Output
    Signal System Component Video S-Video Scart Jack NTSC/PAL Y-1.0Vp-p(75),Pb-0.70Vp-p(75), Pr-0.70Vp-p(75) Y -1.0Vp-p(75), C - 0.286Vp-p(75)

Audio Output 2 Channel F/L, F/R Frequency Response 20Hz to 22KHz(48KHz Sampling) Dynamic Range 95dB Total Harmonic Distortion 0.005% Digital Audio Output Coaxial/Optical
    Disc Support
    DVD Video/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW CD-R/CD-RW/VCD/SVCD/HDCD/MP3/Kodak Picture CD Play Function
    Programmed Play / Parental Lock
    Floating Zoom x1.5, x2, x3

£46.99 inc. VAT

10. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You got this player Nick?
    Ed

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, I have one of these. The remote control looks a bit cheap and nasty, but the player gives surprisingly good results. I was using it last night, playing a Region 1 DVD that my "chipped" Toshiba was having problems with :thumbsup:

P.S. To get multi-region, there is a handset hack.

12. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    does it output YUV ? (my AV learned buddy tells my that prog. scan YUV does is preferable to RGB.. unless you know otherwise?!)Ed

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    "RGB" is a very loose term ! With most composite video items these days, it's Y,Pb,Pr. The spec on the DVD player is "Signal System Component Video S-Video Scart Jack NTSC/PAL Y-1.0Vp-p(75),Pb-0.70Vp-p(75), Pr-0.70Vp-p(75) Y -1.0Vp-p(75), C - 0.286Vp-p(75)" This is the standard composite signal, and is close to YUV, and is often mistakenly called YUV, but it strictly isn't YUV.

For a further explanation, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV

14. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So if I connect the to the VGA port of the Benq & set the 6100 to Y Pb Py input will it find this signal ? ...if the signal is scart where's the sync I wonder ?
    ta .. much

Ed

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    SCART ? I don't think you can get component signals out of a SCART :confused:

I think you are confusing RGB and component. They are not the same !

16. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Quite possibly. So if a player has only a scart output, I cant get component out..yes? I ask as I've been looking at a new d-link piece of kit - DSM-320 - as the picture of the unit shows a scart & not a YUV output. I like the YUV so much now from my DVD55 that a downgrade in quality wouldnt be good

advise if you please!!!
    Ed

oh perhaps some of the (my) confusion is maybe there's a difference between YUV & Component(YCbCr,YPbPr) or are they the same? It's the YCbCr,YPbPr inout I'm using & works very well.

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's crazy ! :rolleyes: The product on the USA website shows RCA jacks and a composite video output, and the UK model has SCART and no composite ! They've "dumbed it down" for the European market. You WILL NOT get component video from a SCART connector - the best you could do is RGB SCART<> SCART for TV, or S-Video into the Benq.

I have to add that I would not touch D-Link with a bargepole after the :censored: product which I got from them which is supposed to be an ADSL router ! 6 months after buying it, and I'm still waiting for firmware that works properly :mad: