1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 6100 fluf

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Edt, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi.. it's apparent that a strand of fluf has found itself a warm, bright home in my BenQ. During darkest scenes I can see its blurred shape, altough faint, near the middle of the projected image. Took the lamp out.. blew off anything there but pretty clean. Breaking all rule I squinted hard & looked into the lens whilst it was on . Could see it ! Any advice? I'm pretty good with a screwdriver but concerned about such a delicate job....
    thanks all
    Ed

2. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bumpy bump bump.. no one else with a bit of fluf then ?!

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175

Can you describe the shape and colour of the blur onscreen. It could be a dust blob.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    If it's on the back of the lens (but still on the outside of the lens itself), you may be able to clean it off depnding on how hard they've made it to get into the 6100 (and assuming it's not a sealed light engine, but I'm guessing not) - but if it's actually inside the lens, I certainly wouldn't recommend attempting to dismantle the lens itself (if it's even possible that is)!

5. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'll attempt to take a photo if I can make my camera do what I want

Ed

6. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    [​IMG]

bit dark but hope you see

7. AnD

AnD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like dust blob to. It placed on the glass just before DMD chip. I had many of them after some time of viewing of my 6100, but removing it is quite easy - I've done it several times already. But you have to open the pj (about 7 screws).

AnD

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    def dust blobs. Your choices are:-

1/ Clean it yourself using a can of compressed air but does require you to open up your PJ (warrenty is not voided for this operation)

or

2/ if under warrenty. Phone BenQ. They will collect and repair and deliver it back and should offer you a replacement for the duration. That's what I did.

9. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm happy to open up & clean.. got a great lens cloth.. but.... having moved house recently no idea where the BenQ booklet is though (I expect it wouldnt tell me anyhow). Guidance please !!! would love to shift this as right in the middle . Did have the unit setup in the living room; the carpet is really deep & sheds a lot. Now moved everything to our conservatory - no wooly carpets in there so hopefully no extra fluf/dust to go in after this clean up

thanks guys

10. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    right.. think I'll have a go tomorrow night having just watched The Grudge (a dark film) hoping its obvious which screws to * oh so carefully * remove!

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

12. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Took as many bits to pieces as I could manange.. circa 20 screws in all I reckon. About 30 mins or so. Waiting for the sun to set & then it's testing time !

Ed

13. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Can't wait for the update. Mine's starting to develop another dust blob. Looks like i'll be phoning BenQ tomorrow to see if I can do this myself and not invalidate my warranty.

14. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well.. it's um different. Perhaps one trouble was I didnt have can of air - used lens cloth the clean the surfaces. Now Instead of 1 big piece of fluff in the middle I now have 20 tiny specs of dust .Hey ho.. Back to drawing board (and order myself the air). Trouble was I couldnt tell where the dust was as everything I unscrewed looked pretty clean.

Ed

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    NO! never use a cloth. Only use a can of compressed air inside the Projector and make sure you hold the can upright or water can eject from the nozzle, its always best to test the can upright on a piece of paper.

16. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Understood loud & clear will order air can asap & try again. thanks

ED

17. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    btw would you know exactly where I should blow the air.. shall I just remove the cover & blow in all little corners around the lamp & lens ?

18. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Here is the procedure taken from the US av forum.

Be careful and good luck.

I'll add the pictures later once I get home

First step is to check if the blobs are in the sealed part of the unit ( the bit that the lens attaches too ).

1. Take the lamp out
    2. shine a flash light into opening where lamp was
    3. look through the lens - if you can see lots of bits in there ( I actually had a hair in mine ) then you have the fun of taking it all apart.

If you don't, take a can of air and fire it around the lamp area - also fire some inside the lamp ( the sides are sealed but the top isn't ) - being careful not to touch anything inside.

and now onto the fun.

Turn the projector over and undo the 2 screws that hold the front on - take it off

Undo the 4 screws that hold the top on and turn it back over

Carefully lift the top off - as dreamstate noted the top controls are attached to the rest of the unit with a small bit of ribbon cable - I didn't take this cable off, instead I just rested the top of the case against the side of the unit and put something behind it to stop it falling over.

You should be able to see that the lens is held on with 4 screws - despite how it looks they're all accessible without removing anything else. To access the top right screw - adjust the zoom ( you'll notice there is a small notch that moves round as you adjust the zoom ) when the notch is lined up with the screw you can access it and take it out.
    Same procedure for the bottom right and the top left.

The hardest one is the bottom left - but it is possible so just play around until you get it.

I didn't take the screws all the way out but if you're using a magnetic screwdriver you could easily.

Next lift the lens out of the unit - give it a bit of a clean place it close by.

Get the can of air and blast into the open hole that you just made - I turned my unit nearly upside down to try and help prevent dust going back in.

Now re-attach the lens unit - I found it easiest to put it place the turn the unit so the lens is facing up and screw it back down.

re-attach the lamp & lamp cover but leave the case off just in case its not clear - give it a test and hopefully its nice and clear. I had to blast mine 2 times before it was good.

Hope this helps you all. If anyone needs any more help just ask.

19. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    All those screws sound familiar & were undone in last effort !! Hopefully the soon-to-arrive can of air will sort this. Hope so.. a pal wants to buy the Benq from me (and I want to splash some cash & upgrade to a good 16:9 machine!)
    ED

20. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sorted. couple of wee blobs way off high.. but not fussed about those. Might have another go but the picture itself is dot less !

thanks !!!
    Ed