1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq 5120, worth it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spidermaxx, Sep 9, 2005.

1. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, as it says, nice and simple question, I can pick one of these up for only £480

Are they worth it?

I've seen lots about them on these forums, but some people seem to have had problems, have these now been sorted, does anyone suffer from dust in the lense? (which is why it seems to not get good reviews)

Last question, to those that have one, is the image as good as a rear projection dlp screen? (like a sagem for example)

Thanx in advance :)

2. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i had a BenQ PE5120 briefly (like half a second) till it went 'fut'. BenQ sent out another one in response, but this clicked and shook, shaking the picture with it. Apart from that, both my wife and I saw rainbows very markedly.

We've now got a Sanyo PLV Z3 and are really happy with.

Definitely audition the BenQ first before committing.

3. donkeymagic

donkeymagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 5120 for a few weeks now and not had any probs. Nobody in the family has seen any rainbows. Picture quality is superb for a sub £500 PJ. As for the dust issue I have not seen any evidence of this yet but lamp use is only 15hrs.

I guess if you're on a strict budget of sub £500 and dont suffer from the RBE then you cant go wrong with this PJ.

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had mine for 6 months now, nothing to compare against, but never had any probs, and not one person has commented on rainbows or picture quality (I have seen the odd rainbow when I first got it, but hardly ever now). It's a tad noisey for my liking, but then it's mounted right above my head, so I intend to box it or something to reduce the fan noise. Personally I love it for the money!!

5. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The BenQ 5120 PJ in my opinion is terrible. A friend of mine bought one and I was shocked at how bad it was in comparison :eek: to a Themescence H30A, Infocus 4805, Panny 700, and the Sony HS50 (all the machines I've demoed). I know it is a lot cheaper than the others but the Sanyo Z3 isn't and would strongly recommend that you look at that, or if DLP is your thing, save for a Themscence H30A. I had a Toshiba 40" TV (rear proj) and I would have definatley kept the TV than buying the BenQ. Sorry to the BenQ 5120 owners if I've offended, but just want to give my honest opinion. :)

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    If it's a budget PJ you want, you could also take a look at this NEC HT410

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83161

It's a tad cheaper, has a 2yr warranty, and a few features the BenQ doesn't have - such as vertical lens shift and RGB SCART (you'd need to knock up a cable or buy the NEC adapter - no doubt sensibly priced :) :) )
    Doesn't have DVI though - I guess it's a case of SCART RGB vs DVI and which is more useful!
    Overall though it's a similar beastie to the BenQ - though I haven't seen them , I doubt there'd really be that much difference in performance!

7. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, still seems to be mixed views :rolleyes: but what the hell, I've bought one from here http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=78536 , and i'm buying this screen to go with it http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3187&aid=53502&oid=3618

We'll see how good it is next week (i'm having it delivered thursday, as thats my next day off) :thumbsup:

I've never seen one before, and have nothing to compare it too, I've got DLP TVs at work, and don't see rainbows, so hopefully that won't be a problem, now just need a long composite lead :) and i'm all set.

(you've gotta admit, a home cinema, for £600 is good value)

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes it is. The main thing is to just go for it, as you have. I think you'll be well pleased...PJ :)

PS I presume you mean component lead!

9. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A friend who bought one is v.happy with it. Hope you are too. :smashin:

10. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Lol, yeh! :oops:

11. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a BENQ 5120 and very happy with it.

You wont go wrong if your a casual user or new to PJs - The quality is very good for the price(espeically using DVI).

Of course its not as good as something twice the price :)

enjoy!

12. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have also just purchased one of these, first impressions are that the picture quality is better than my infocus x1, setup is easy, although the shorter throw distance meant re-arranging the furniture, it is quieter than the x1, although when skipping through the modes (eco and the like) it does start making a light clicking noise, this disappears when you restart, but I will keep an eye on it as it has been mentioned elsewhere.

It looks nicer than the X1, it is lighter and easy to pack up, whether the build quality inside is as good only time will tell, I am using the short component that came with the PJ, but am looking to order a 10m one from ebay, I don't know much about DVI, so I will use component for now.

There was little info about the warranty in the box but I gather it's a three year job, in which the first year they will pick up and exchange the Pj and the following two are return to base at your own expense.

Early days yet for me but for £467 delivered and having sold the X1 for £400 it gives me a new Pj with 3yr warranty, better picture and lower fan noise for a measly £67, if anyone has any tips or views please let me know.

Sconie. :smashin:

13. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice, what do you have yours connect too? I'm gonna connect mine to a progressive Dvd player that I have, via component, hopefully, this will give me a nice image :thumbsup:

If anyone could post some screens from there Benq, it would be greatly appretiated :clap:

14. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have mine hooked up to a budget progressive scan home cinema 5.1 system AMW p8a5. picture is very nice, but I have nothing to compare to, screen is a Ikea tupplar 2m blind projecting on to the reverse side, good blacks and skin details, I am thinking of buying the Pioneer Dv575 as an upgrade, as it gets great reviews on here.

15. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spider,

Here is a thread I created when I considered buying the PE5120. At the end of the thread I bought one and posted some pics.

:)

16. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow, cool, thanx for that :thumbsup:
    What screen did you buy in the end, as it looks about the size I want, and the football looked really good, what was that connected by?

18. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the screen I bought:

http://www.projectorscreen.co.uk/html/sapphire_manual_wall_screens_w1.html

Cheap, big, and rolls up nicely if you want to hide it away.The only couple of gripes I have with that screen it was a bit of a pain to roll it up at first, and it doesn`t always sit in exactly the same place - annoying if your PJ is in a fixed position.

The footy was connected via Composite(yuck - the worst!) but to be honest it was'nt bad. I`ve noticed the output from the digibox is badly pixelled anway - not sure if thats because of a poor quality didgibox or bad signal.

Hope that helps :smashin:

19. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, thanx for that, I'll get hold of that one then, and I'll post a few pic's once I'm all set up :clap:

20. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some, not so good pictures of my set-up (notice how small my 32" TV looks in the light one!)

What settings does everyone use on there Benq PJ?

21. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff Spider, looks cool!

Did you mount the PJ upside-down on a high shelf? I plan on moving home soon and I would like to either ceiling mount my projector or place it on a high shelf(so its out of the way - I don`t like placing things on a coffee table as it will always get bumped/etc).

You should align the PJ better with the screen - the image is too big for your screen :D

To be honest, this PJ is pretty good out of the box - I normally use "economy" settings as this saves the bulb and looks almost as good as the other settings.

Enjoy the PJ :thumbsup:
    Hope ur not an everton fan :rotfl:

22. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Lol, not a chance, i'm a Spurs fan :clap:

My projector is on a shelf, thats the smallest I can get it to throw the picture!

It's not that bad, am gonna try and adjust it abit though, by making the shelf a little longer or something :D