1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BENQ 5120 or EPSON EMP TW-10H

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lucas, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I am making the step to buy a budget projector for DVD and Sky Digital 16:9 viewing. I want a fairly bright projector since currently I don't have full ambient light control.

After a lot of research I have narrowed my search down to 2 projectors.
    Benq 5120 and Epson EMP TW-10H.

I have seen the 5120 and unfortunately I can see the rainbow effect but not to a large degree and definetely only in scenes with bright white objects moving rapidly.

I have also noticed the effect in DLP projectors with a 4x and 5x colour wheel.

From what I read in forums etc, it is likely that with time I will notice less and less.

The dilema is whether to count the 5120 out and go for an epson emp tw 10H.

I can't see the epson tw10 h in my area but I think the Benq 5120 has slightly better pic quality if one takes rainbow out of the equation.

I would like to hear the opinions of owners of the 5120 , tw10h or other LCD projectors of 854x480 resolution.

In my area I can get the Benq for 800 euro (500 pounds) and the Epson for 700 euro (435 Pounds).

Given the above, what are your opinions/suggestions?

2. deem

deem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was in exactly the same position around a month ago. Everyones advice was to go for the Benq, but I was worried about the rainbow effect. I get enough grief from my GF about gadgets, and It would be just my luck that she would end up being prone to the rainbow effect, and it would make things even worse. So, I ended up getting the TW10h. I haven't had a projector before, and I havn't seen a home PJ in action for over 6 years, so I don't have much to compare it too, but I can say that it is absolutely gobsmacking. Movies are incredible, and xbox/ps2/pc is amazing.

I watched a bit of american psycho this afternoon, with my blinds open, in full daylight and it was spot on.

3. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks deem, nice to know you don't have any regrets.

4. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in exactly the same situation as you but I have seen any projectors running as nowhere in my area gives demos. I thought I had decided on the Benq 5120 but I still am concerned about the rainbows and as the Epson is about the same price(Even cheaper on oyyy.co.uk at the moment) I might choose that as I think that I might get the benq and then have to send it back if my wife or I suffer from the rainbows. I seem to change my mind everyday and I only have a few more weeks to decide.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The Epson is very tempting at the oyyy price and it has good warranty. It is a toughie though 'cause the 5120 looks good too.

I may be wrong but the Benq has always been priced at around £500ish hence it's been made to that budget?

I think the Epson has been £700 or £800 in the past so perhaps has been made to that budget?

If so this would perhaps sway me to the Epson...PJ :)

6. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ditto. Talk about indeciveness.... I can't ever remember being so indecisive. I bought cars with less thought.

As I said, I saw the 5120, and it is pretty damn good for the money. In fact at the shop I saw it at, it was projecting in parallel with an Optoma 77, a much more expensive PJ (5x the price).

I am not sure if the Epson will have such a solid picture but it is brighter which means you can watch with quite a bit of light in the room.

7. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the Benq has much better contrast at 2000:1 compared to the Epson's 800:1 plus its a bit smaller. But as one of the guys said earlier the Epson has reduced in price where the Benq seems to have always been around this price.

8. ArsoN

ArsoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another happy TW10-H owner here. I had to buy blind, since I don't know anywhere nearby where I could demo projectors (specifically DLP, to see if I was prone to rainbows), so I went with LCD. I have to say, you can't quite prepare yourself for going from a CRT up to such a HUGE image, really involves you in the film.

SDE is a bit of a problem on the Epson, but a slight (slight) defocusing solves that.

9. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    There's a fairly positive review of the PE5120 in the new What Projector mag. It seems they would have "shot for the moon" if this projector was below £1K????
    In the review, the PE5120 has a street price of £1461????????????????

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Both decent machines, paper specs aren't always reliable...PJ :)

11. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well after the most recent reduction in price of the Epson, I got the TW10H last night for 600 euro (about 410 Pounds).

I decided against the Benq 5120 because after a couple after work viewings the rainbow effect was there for me and there was a hint of eye strain and headache afterwards. Could 've been long day related though. Decided to not risk it.

First impressions the Epson pointing on a darkish creme wall:
    Excellent build quality.
    Out of the box picture OK.
    No stuck pixels.
    Very good brightness. Definetely watchable during the day with some ambient light seeping through one window.
    Contrast OK but not to the level of the Benq.
    The pixel structure is visible on a 2m wide picture from 2m but this will not be the final setup. I 've been working with LCDs for 10 years or so and I think if one just gets on with watching the picture rather than the pixels you soon forget about it.

I will be bolting the proper screen up on the ceiling over the weekend and mounting the projector properly before making any formal judgement.

12. Hilly131

Hilly131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another EMP TW10H Owner

only viewed it once as I am waiting to purchase the Pioneer 575a on Saturday from Richer (had no money) and also a Height Adjustable ceiling wall mount but I am struggling to find one that will fit the TW10H for a decent price..

can any of you help?

Even a a second hand one will do me for now as I am a first time LCD Projector owner and still getting to grips with it all.

my setup will be

EMP TW10H £335
    Pioneer 575a £100
    80" Sapphire manual screen £94
    Pioneer s-dv303 Speaker system/XVreceptor DVD Player (5.1 speaker surround sound and subwoofer) £50

I'm using this instead of buying a amp as I was on a strict budget and it does the job for me, especially as I was on a very strict Budget

any hints and tips etc would be appreciated :thumbsup:

13. callipo

callipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hilly131

I also have this projector and loving it.

I got my mount of ebay.If you do a search it will give you loads of replies ,mine cost £15.99 from a seller called (kramerica_incorporated)

Really good product and service.

Hope this helps

14. Hilly131

Hilly131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it an Adjustable Ceiling mount?

15. callipo

callipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes fully.It has a ball joint that can move in any direction.If you take a look on ebay the seller has an animation of it in action.

16. Hilly131

Hilly131

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Callipo I forgot to say it was a Height Adjustable Ceiling Mount that I am in need of.. apologies my friend

17. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    As I haven't seen the other projector I can only comment on the PE5120. If carefully calibrated and driven from the right source the picture has a deep 3-D-ish quality with nicely saturated and accurate colours with excellent shadow depth and contrast.

It's the first PJ i've ever owned that I don't have to tweak setting per film let alone during them.

Having said that. 400 quid for the other PJ is fantastic. I remember paying almost a grand a couple of years back for a PJ with less contrast then that.
    I hope you enjoy it.

BTW. For a brilliant cheap screen. Head down to Ikea and pick up their 2 meter wide white tuppler blackout blind for 20 quid. I actually prefer this to me "proper" screen.

Have fun.