1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq 5120 LCD equivilent?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tonydsam, Jun 22, 2005.

1. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally decided to buy the Benq 5120 after reading many a good thing about it on these forums. I am going to have to buy it blind as I dont know anywhere locally that will show demos of it, unless any of you guys know of anywhere in Essex? I am worried about rainbows but if I cant find anywhere to view it I will just have to take the risk, do you think I would be able to send it back if rainbows did affect me?
    Do you reccomend an equivilent LCD projector for around the same price and spec?
    Also where are the best places to buy a cheap ceiling mount and componant cable for it?

2. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I already have a Toshiba ET1 (lcd) that I bought a few weeks ago for my first step into the world of real Home Cinema and was delighted with it. It is perfect for my bedroom but I fancied a machine with more contrast for living room use and read so much about the Benq 5120 that I have ordered one from Ebuyer.

I too had to buy blind and I really hope that the rainbow effect doesn't bother me.

The Toshiba at £375 (I got for less than that!) is an absolute steal and gives a great picture through component progressive scan and also with a freeview box connected with RGB scart.

I am praying that the Benq is worth the money :rolleyes:

Gordon

3. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon, I had heard good things about the Toshiba but the Benq 5120 seems superior in every area apart from price and the risk of rainbows. I hope they dont affect you either.

4. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was worried that I would see rainbows too as I didn't know anywhere where I could "test drive" a dlp. I bought a BenQ PE5120 and luckily don't see them (unless I make myself see them by shaking my head fast :rolleyes: )

Go for it mate and enjoy your BenQ, it's a cracking machine for the money :thumbsup:

5. Rajoo

Rajoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi tonydsam, I've just bought a benq 5210 and i' haven't seen any rainbows yet. I think it's the best ever £500 pounds spent, i'd rather see the odd rainbow on a dlp than suffer with poor contrast of an LCD for a whole movie. If you buy your projector from ebuyer they do a 14 day moneyback garuanteen (but it will cost you the postage to send it back). I know they do sell it for £399+vat and at this price you can't go wrong. Also i think that it might become a discontinued product as some site have withdrawn it. Also replacement lamp i've seen is about £300 to£380 so i don't see the price falling much further for the projector. Good luck hunting!!!!

6. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Lo mate I own a 5120 and the ET1 is not in the same ball park so compare the 2 is ridiculas if you are after a LCD of the same standard have a look at the Epson TW10h, I have seen these 2 together and they are simalar except the blacks on the Benq are better.

I would go for the 5120 but if not the Epson is the closes LCD option.

Good luck bud

Darko

7. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

8. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. The Epson TW10h seemed like a similar model but in LCD but I would prefer the 5120 as DLP has a lot of advantages apart from the possibility. Gordon_wt can you let us know what you think of the benq compared to the ET? :thumbsdow Another member has informed me that ebuyer give you 14 day money back guarantee so hopefully if I do suffer the rainbows then I should be able to send it back.I am curious of everyones setup as I am planning to have it in my lounge about 3m away and mounted on the ceiling using componant cables with a blackout blind as the screen, I am having to keep the cost down as much as possible as the wife isnt too keen on the idea.

9. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Gordon WT

When your Benq arrives come back to me with your opinion, Trust me they are in different leagues the Benq is much more advanced as its new on the market it also has features that the ET does not even have, the colour on the Benq is full and vibrant the contrast alone is 2000.1 their is trully no comparason.
    Dont get me wrong the ET is a good little PJ but to compare the two is like comparing a Epson tw10h to a panny ae700 (different ball parks)

If you are watching black and whites on a 5120 you will experience major rainbows maybe even to the point of turning off ( I have experienced this myself)

Good Luck Gordon and make sure you post back with your comparison I am eager to see if you feel the same as me once you have seen them together.

Cheers Darko

10. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Benq is due to arrive tomorrow...the portable screen I've ordered is not due till next week...so I'll move the ET out of the way and try out the 5120.

Darko, you say the 5120 is in a different ballpark from the ET....but it has trouble with classic black & white films like Raging Bull, Schindler's List, Psycho, It's a Wonderful Life......I'm not sure if I want to visit that ballpark......the ET does a fabulous job of showing these classic movies :nono:

All will be revealed.....as long as it's not loads of rainbows :(

Here's some pics of ET in action: I hope!!

Attached Files:

11. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Rainbows on DLP of this price range are common on Black and White movies due to slow colour wheels its the only downfall of the low price Dlp projectors and the LCD will always have the edge in this department (For now!!)

Like anything it comes down to what you are going to use the PJ for Myself I dont watch Black and white movies that often but when I do I use my LCD pj or my TV.

I hope it goes well for you but I will be waiting for your review when it arrives.

http://www.projectorreviews.com.cnchost.com/review.asp?reid=20

you might like this overview

Cheers Darko

12. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    P.S

Nice shot of the MJ trial

13. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Benq arrived today and when I got home from work I exitedly opened the package. It is a nice neat looking pj and it came with a carry bag....so far so good. I repleced the ET with the 5120 and pulled down the screen, shut the curtains and switched on.........oh...very small image...never mind...it's got a zoom...turned zoom up to max...still too small :( I moved the PJ back a good bit, did lot's of adjusting but the picture was then too big for the screen....no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the picture to properly fill my screen size (65 inches diag). When I got it as close as I could I put in the new Dr Who dvd.....not bad picture...bit of judder...after a few minutes I started noticing ...rainbows......put on Star Wars...rainbows galore.....put on Psycho (b&w)...and horrific rainbows. I am not impressed at all.....and obviously extremely susceptible to the dreaded rainbow effect.

I then went on Ebuyer website and requested an RMA. This is going to cost a bit to send it back by recorded mail....but at least I can get the full cost of the PJ back.

Does anyone know who sells the Epson the cheapest...it appears to be about £50 more than the Benq? The other option is another ET.....it is a remarkably good PJ for the money...and a doddle to set up as well...plus it's got scart....I wasn't able to try my Sony freeview through the 5120.

I am quite deflated now.....and totally gone off DLP :mad:

Gordon

14. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Took the Benq downstairs and projected it on the wall....far more impressive for some reason. Put on Gladiator and Finding Nemo....I wish I had the portable screen to try it on.

I can see why people like this PJ....but the rainbows are a pain.

I think the Denon unit I have downstairs suits the Benq better than the Sony upstairs as there is none of the judder or picture noise that I saw earlier.

Might be tempted to keep it now..........decisions, decisions... :confused:

Gordon

15. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any of you know if you can use the Benq 5120 off centre, e.g on a coffee table that is going to be skew to the screen or does it have to be postioned directly in front of the screen?

16. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No the 5120 can't be offset

Gordon, when I first got it I saw rainbows, but I think I looked for them as I new DLP did them. A few months later, I can't seem to tsee rainbows at all, still am very impressed with this pj :)

17. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I watched some tennis today through the Benq and saw rainbows at first but after a while stopped seeing them so maybe your eyes adjust to them.

I got my portable 70" screen today and found I had to move the PJ back 2.5 metres to fill the screen.....I only had just enough room to do that as my living room is not huge ;)

I've decided to keep the Benq as it was a good price for the technology and its easy to put away in it's neat little carry case. The Sony portable screen is a little less portable than I had thought it was going to be...with a heavy metal base :eek:

If anyone's looking for a PJ for their bedroom or a smallish room then I must say the Tosh ET takes some beating. It basically fills a good size screen from a metre less distance than the Benq :clap:

18. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I knew the throw distance of the pe5120 and bought it as it suited my needs :)

19. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Has to be centre to the screen.

Edit: Sorry didn't spot second page, already answered !! :rolleyes:

20. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Gordon WT

Sorry to here that you saw the dreaded rainbows but as many say when I first got mine I saw them alot and now I see none (weird)
    But if you have decided to keep it you must be kinda pleased??

Darko