Quantcast

benq 1900x1080 37 incher for £999 - is it too good to be true?

ijd

Novice Member
contrast ratio is fine in fact :-

General
Product Type LCD TV - colour
Width 102 cm
Depth 12.2 cm
Height 59.1 cm
Weight 20.3 kg
Television
Technology TFT active matrix
TV Type High Definition monitor
PC Interface DVI, VGA (HD-15)
Diagonal Size 37" - widescreen
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
Widescreen Modes Zoom, Wide
Image Contrast Ratio 800:1
Viewing Angle 176 degrees
Viewing Angle (Vertical) 176 degrees
Pixel Response Time 8 ms
Brightness 500 cd/m2
Comb Filter 3D-Y/C digital
Features Gamma correction, 3:2 pulldown compensation, 3D Edge Correction
TV Tuner
Tuner Qty 1 tuner(s)
Multi-channel Preview Picture-in-picture (PIP), picture-on-picture (POP)
Reception System NTSC
Video Features
EDTV Ready Yes
HDTV Ready Yes
Supported DTV Resolutions 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
Audio System
Sound Output Mode Stereo
Surround Sound Effects SRS TruSurround XT
Connections
Connector Type 3 x composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 )
1 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 )
3 x S-Video input ( 4 PIN mini-DIN )
1 x VGA input ( 15 PIN HD D-Sub (HD-15) )
1 x DVI-HDCP
1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 )
1 x serial
Power
Power Device Power supply
Voltage Required AC 110/240 V ( 50/60 Hz )

nice response time, crt is only 2ms and plenty of connection options, component for your dvd vga for your pc but no hdi, not the end of the world,as sky is the only real thing you would want this for, and are you about to spend £400 plus on an HD ready sky box..it is a buget set offering quite high spec, ask yourself can you afford it and how reliable will it be,if you can find an honest answer here you dont have much to lose ,

ijd

Novice Member
longy said:
what do u mean response times ? i thought the lower the number the better right?
indeed and most budget sets seem to rest at about 25ms, 4ms is very good for lcd
so 8ms is fine

A

asherpat

ijd,

tks for response. I am very sceptical re plasma and lcds. I use a HD DLP for movies and an old Panny for telly. this is cos when i go to say JOhn Lewis, I cant watch TV boradcast on the lcds due to edges of objects being incredibly annoying (for me) undefined - plasma is better but the screen-door effect, pixellisation is bad - so cud not make myself buy a flat panel set to date.

therfore, i thot that perhaps HD Sky will resolve the object-edges problem of the lcds, wud u agree? but in such case, one needs digital video input. in ur post, u mentiomned that there is "PC DVI" input on the benq. will it be similar to HDMI (the sound can be nt digital, i know that DVI si similr to HDMI but w/o the sound)

ijd?

ijd

Novice Member
i have a 32 sharp aquos, it has component which i use for my dvd connction, i have sky scarted using rgb, the picture quality is fantastic, i am not bothered about HD, i have seen the demo in comet and currys and dont feel they are any better than what i have, i am very happy with what i have got..
i am not in a position where i am going to rush out and spend the £400 on an HD sky box, and i will not be getting one until they start showing the majority of programmes in this format,The HD listings are going to be scarce, so HD is not important to me at the moment.
that set your looking at i think is a good spec for the price.
at a price of £999 i would certainly think about it, remember the distance selling rules are on your side, if you order it and it really is not as it should be, you can return it.as long as it does not turn out like the TINY.COM fiasco you have nothing to lose, check how you stand with your credit card company and this could give you a double protection.if you go ahead and are pleased with the picture then great, it will improve after around 200 hours, a 37 lcd at that price is certainly attractive, but dont compare it to sets double that price, but i am sure you dont need to be told that, however if out turns out to be just as good then you have a very good result

A

asherpat

tks ijd, but in you opinion, can the PC DVI inpout be sued to emulate the HDMI that is apprently lacking in the benq?

ijd

Novice Member
asherpat said:
tks ijd, but in you opinion, can the PC DVI inpout be sued to emulate the HDMI that is apprently lacking in the benq?
sorry mate i dont know the answer to that one, as i said i looked into hi def and just felt it is to way off, i am sure you will get the answer in the hd forum though.

A

asherpat

ijd, sorry only now i realised that this thread is more up ldc street (than plasma) - but wasnt it in one forum before?

ijd

Novice Member
just had a quick read up and it would seam dvi will carry both digital and anologue streams so i am sure you would be able to get an adapter if ness, but that set does have a good selection of connectivity, and that vga input can be used for hdi, i know adapters are available because my set has vga, my pc has hdi, got an adapter and it is now connected, and with digital no loss of signal will occur, as it is code and not a wave, you will get either the picture or pixelation, there is no in between.
sugest you read one of the many threads regarding hdmi cable quality, but in general, if you can get chicken wire to deliver that code un corrupted it will be no worse than the highest spec cable available