1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benifits of pj-tx100 over Sanyo z2?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dinoprada2003, Jan 18, 2005.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hi,

Ok im looking to replace my Epson tw10h(due to blocky pixely image) with ether the Sanyo z2 or Hitachi pj-tx100 Now apart from the diff in price about £150 what would be the advantages of the Hitachi over the Sanyo both seem to have same specs?
    I'll be using the PJ via HCPC and also hopefully via DVI lead 5-7.5 metres :smashin:
    Now the graphics card I use is a G-Force Gainward 5900 with DVI and VGA out, Im not sure if it's DVI-I out or DVI-d? the sanyo has DVI-I and the Hitachi has DVD-D would I need a converter for the PJ to the Graphics card or
    just a normal DVI lead would suffice? Also as the DVI out on both projectors is HDCP complient would this cause a problem when watching DVD's via Power dvd I.E Would it stop it from displaying a piccie??

Thank's guys you were all such a help with the Epson I'd really like your views on this:thumbsup:

D.

2. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    UrbanT had the z2 and went to demo the tx100 for a friend who was interested in a pj. To cut a long story short he walked out with 2 tx100's (obviously not both for himself . . . although not a bad idea). He said everything the z2 did the hitachi did better. Im sure he will post his more detailed thoughts.

3. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at www.cine4home.de - try the babellfish translation. They cmpared the TX100 to the Sony HS20 and the Sanyo Z2. To summarise, the TX100 won by a decent margin.

sorry for the typos. Just back from the pub and i'm a bit typisy.

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    As Ian says, I owned both Z2 and TX100, so have good knowledge of both. The 2 areas that the Hitachi held an advantage over the Z2 are:

. black levels - the TX is a major step up
    . colour reproduction - more natural and exciting on the TX

The only area it was not so good was noise, the Sanyo was a touch quieter. I do believe the TX is a big improvement on the Z2. Hope that helps

5. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Damm you guys! :D looks like my credit card will have to take a harsher battering than I thought! Is it that much of an improvment to "justifiy" the extra £200 though? As for the lead would a standard DVI-D-DVI-D suffice for both the Sanyo and the Hitachi?

Thank's a million.

D.

BTW

Just out of intrest what sort of improvment will I see compared to the Epson I.E will it be BIG???:clap:

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Only you can decide whether the extra cash is worth it, but it is a very nice and cost effective projector

7. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you say that the HS50 is worth an extra £600 over the TX100?

You know what it's like... Decide to get a Z2, then you read cine4home.de and realise that the TX100 is much better, so settle on that. Then you read great reviews about the HS50 and you think hmmm, maybe i should save a few more pennies and go for that instead - is the shadow detail in dark scenes and the fan noise that much better? Watching Pirates of the Caribbean on a Z2 had me itching for more detail in the dark scenes. And no vertical banding on the HS50 too. Decisions decisions.

HS50 sounds mighty nice, but the TX100 sounds like a bargain for £1000.

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Thats an even more difficult question. For me, of course the answer is yes, as thats what I did.

But you have to ask yourself, would I prefer the extra subtle improvements of a Sony, or could the extra £500 be spent on a better screen, or better upscaling DVD player, or better speakers. Its a lot of money they may be put to better use, depending on your system.

9. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Of course your both right, It's all subjective at the end of the day.People spend thousands for slight improvments on sound and vision etc etc.And if there happy to do so good luck to them :) Thing is I dont think I'll be able to get a demo or comparison of the Z2 or the PJ-tx100 as the Z2 is out of production with only a few units left at some retailers and the tx-100 needs to be seen via a HCPC to see what my viewing will be like via my PC.Thats why I rely on people like Urban-T,monopole and co for there opinions as I will be buying blind 99% of the time :( Hitachi seems to be winning on members recomendations the only "concern" is thier warranty as a few people on the forums have commented on Hitachi outsourcing to some rather naff support centres.

10. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bulbs are also much, much cheaper for the hitachi. Under £200. So far I'm leaning towards the hitachi... just can't justify the extra expense. I'm using a HTPC and have surround sound gear, so maybe the TX100 + a decent screen will suit me better than the HS50 and no screen.

11. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more question. How does the brightness of the HS50 compare to the TX100?

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    There are no windows in my room, so they were very similar in this respect. I can't comment if you plan to use it with ambient light in your room. I'd also go for TX + decent screen rather than HS50 + no screen

13. Whyshirley

Whyshirley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the brightness of the HS50, but I would say the TX100 is quite up to coping with some ambient light - I frequently use mine when not watching anything critical (i.e. a bit of TV viewing) with table lamps on, and with the Iris open its very watchable. I'd still recommend as little light as possible for the best picture and would echo UrbanTs comments re: getting a decent screen - it does make quite a difference.

Bulb prices are also a definte plus - best price I've seen so far for a TX100 bulb is £146 inc VAT - which has got to be good news.

14. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Urban,

Are all your screen shots on your site of the Sony? fantastic room BTW :smashin:

Dino.

15. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Hi Dino, thanks for the kind comments.

Yep, they are all from the Sony

16. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Update,

Thanks to Monopole/Urban-T and all the other people who posted positive comments on the Hitachi and took the time to answer my questions, I took the plunge and bought myself one :clap:This PJ has none of the problems I was getting on the Epson or my previous DLP machine and all I can say is im one very happy geek :D the only niggle i have is the slight SD but then im only 1.5x away from the screen so hopefully when/if I move I'll be able to sit further back.

Thank's again A/V forums :thumbsup:

17. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you would see screen door on every current lcd model 1.5 times away so I wouldnt worry about that.

Robert.

18. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Ta Robert :smashin: