Beng V9B Home Theatre 4-Way Speaker Set

misae

Established Member
Reaction score
What do guys think of the Beng V9B Home Theatre 4-Way Speaker Set from Amazon and EBAY? Value for money for someone getting a starter system. Honest opinions, don't be shy...

Please note I am asking for a friend who has his heart set on these speakers. I own a set of B&W 604 and 602 speakers.

Can you provide a link?

Actually, I found my own -

HiFI Tower - UK: Beng V9B - 5 Channel Home Theater Speaker Set - Mohogany

The only caution I will give, is that you get what you pay for.

Ask yourself this, if an entire 5.0 speaker system can be purchased for £169, what can each speaker be worth? What can each driver be worth?

There are 12 bass drives in the setup, two mid-drivers, and two tweeters, plus cabinets and hardware. If we assume uniform price, 16 drivers total, at a cost of £169, then each driver is worth £10.56 each.

But of course, we assume the cabinets are worth something, I don't think magical fairies leave them in the night. I just don't see how, even with the cheapest materials, the cabinets and labor would be worth less than £50, which is somewhat ridiculous when you consider there are 5 cabinets. That's only £10 per cabinet for material and labor. Now if we assume that is true, then each speaker driver is worth £7.44 each.

But let's be realistic, and say the large floorstanding are £20 each, the center is £15 each, and the bookshelf are £10 each, which is still an insanely low price for cabinets, labor, and hardware. That makes the total (£20 + £20 + £15 + £10 + £10) £75. Subtract that from the selling price, and the per speaker driver price is now £5.88.

But they didn't magically fly over from China, they had to be shipped. Let's say the entire package cost £30 to ship from China. So now the per speaker driver cost is £4 per driver.

But the dealer has to make a profit, so let's give him a modest 10% profit (£16.90). Now the per driver cost falls to £2.94 per driver.

I've been extremely conservative. Likely the per driver cost is something like £1 per driver.

What do you imagine a £1 bass driver or tweeter sounds like?

A similar thread came up recently, and the conclusion from most member of the forum was - we would rather see you (your friend) get a little bit of something rather than a whole lot of nothing.

Meaning, better to get higher quality but smaller speakers, than to spend money on speakers that are cosmetically good, yet sound terrible.

Now this gets down to expectations. If you friend expects to spend £70 and equally expects to get speakers that sound like £70, then he will probably be satisfied.

But, consider this quality well regarded speaker - Wharfedale (a known and proven brand) Xarus 5000 DJ speakers -

Wharfedale XARUS5000-BLACK from Hughes Direct

These speaker originally cost £425/pr. The have twin 8" low-bass drivers, a single 8" mid-bass and a tweeter. For the money, you really can't do much better than this. But NO, it is not a full surround sound system, and since it is discontinued, there are no center or bookshelf to go with it, but it is a quality speaker at a stunningly low price.

If this Beng system fits your friends budget, and if they fit his expectations, then he can do as he wishes. But, he simply can not expect much for that price. And if he doesn't expect much, then perhaps his expectation will be met.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Also, can you tell us how much the speakers cost on Ebay?

Also, you will frequently see speakers like this represented as having a retail cost of Thousands of Dollars, what the don't tell you is that those are Hong Kong Dollar are like pocket change.

Buyer beware.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
That was a very thorough analysis. Thanks for that. They cost £169.90 on ebay I believe and about the same on Amazon. My friend is after a decent AV receiver yet wants to pair it with the above system. Just doesn't make much sense and they will probably have a resell value of £30.

What receiver is he looking to get? What is his total budget? A good receiver and cheap speakers is still going to sound bad. Better to get a lower amp but better speakers for a better overall sound.

He is looking at Onkyo receivers currently.

Which models? If looking at Onkyo then look at speakers by Wharfedale, Tannoy or Q Accoustics. all better than the ones you linked too above.

I know what you are saying.. He was after a second opinion.. Unfortunately he wouldn't listen to me.. Personally I prefer a more musical Amp like the Denon.

So, your friend bought the Beng Speakers?

I would be very interested in your opinion of them should you get a good chance to hear them.

If your friend's expectations are consistent with the £170/set he spent, then they will probably be OK speakers. But don't expect anything more than £170/set sound.

Still keep an open mind, give a listen, and report back to us.

Steve/bluewizard

Not yet.. I'm pretty sure he has gone off them now thanks to you lol.

AVForums should review these speakers, their opinion would at least carry some weight.

In all honesty, I think your friend would be better off getting fewer but better speakers, then building the speaker system up over time.

Again, it depends on his long term and short term budget, and his expectations. As I said, if he has £170 expectations, then he might be OK with the Beng, but I don't think you will find anyone actually recommending them.

Steve/bluewizard

Looking at these for a quick cheap set just for use in a games room for now, they'll be replaced eventually when the funds are better, but current centre speaker is knackered, and one of the rears got broke the other day.

Just wondering, these have 2 red and 2 white inputs on the back of each speaker, however, I think the AV receiver just uses 1 of each for each speaker... would these work, or wouldn't they? Would I have to split wires or something? Don't really understand that bit.

LTC Beng V9B 5 Channel Home Theatre Main Centre Surround Speaker Set Black 1240W 5420047111623 | eBay

There is the link on ebay. I've got an Onkyo HT-R380 AV receiver, which is a 5.1, and I would be using current sub. I don't even know if these speakers would be remotely suitable :s

Sorry how stupid I sound, can't explain properly.

Thanks for any help.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The speakers can be biwired or biamped but will come with metal bridges connecting the 2 sets of speaker terminals. So you just connect your speaker cables to one of the sets of terminals and it will work fine.

The speakers can be biwired or biamped but will come with metal bridges connecting the 2 sets of speaker terminals. So you just connect your speaker cables to one of the sets of terminals and it will work fine.

Thanks for the quick reply, would bi-wiring/bi-amping give any advantage or not?

Having a quick read about both and think I understand bi-wiring, but not bi-amping, so will probably just do it the easy way :smashin:

Biwiring gives no benefits over a decent single wire so I would not bother with that. Bi-amping is basically using one amp for the tweeter and another amp for the bass. This can be achieved by using 2 power amps or most 7.1 AV receivers can be configured to use the rear surrounds as the second amps for the speakers. This can give some gains in terms of sound quality but doubt it will make much difference with the Benq speakers to be honest.

Biwiring gives no benefits over a decent single wire so I would not bother with that. Bi-amping is basically using one amp for the tweeter and another amp for the bass. This can be achieved by using 2 power amps or most 7.1 AV receivers can be configured to use the rear surrounds as the second amps for the speakers. This can give some gains in terms of sound quality but doubt it will make much difference with the Benq speakers to be honest.

Thanks again, very helpful. You're a good member.

I bought this system a few weeks ago but i also bought an 800w 8" tube sub to go with it and i dont have much to spend on a reciever. you dont need a monoamp for this sub so does anyone know any good quality fairly reasonably priced recievers which can handle all of them?

I saw on ebay a full tower speakers for something like £99. Multiple drivers, huge cabinets, spring clip terminals
Looking at these for a quick cheap set just for use in a games room for now, they'll be replaced eventually when the funds are better, but current centre speaker is knackered, and one of the rears got broke the other day.

Just wondering, these have 2 red and 2 white inputs on the back of each speaker, however, I think the AV receiver just uses 1 of each for each speaker... would these work, or wouldn't they? Would I have to split wires or something? Don't really understand that bit.

LTC Beng V9B 5 Channel Home Theatre Main Centre Surround Speaker Set Black 1240W 5420047111623 | eBay

There is the link on ebay. I've got an Onkyo HT-R380 AV receiver, which is a 5.1, and I would be using current sub. I don't even know if these speakers would be remotely suitable :s

Sorry how stupid I sound, can't explain properly.

Thanks for any help.

oh god lol white van speakers all those speakers for less than £200??

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
And your point is?

I bought this system a few weeks ago but i also bought an 800w 8" tube sub to go with it and i dont have much to spend on a reciever. you dont need a monoamp for this sub so does anyone know any good quality fairly reasonably priced recievers which can handle all of them?

I was just looking through old posts about the Beng v9b and saw you bought them a few years back. I’m just wondering what you think about them? I’m trying to set up a cinema room on a budget and these caught my eye. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom