Benefits (or not) of combined HDD and Freeview

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Non-plussed, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Non-plussed

Non-plussed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old VHS recorder stopped working at the weekend and I'm trying to get to grips with DVD Recorders. Having read through a few threads and done a bit of research, I like the idea of getting one with a decent size HDD, DVD-RAM capability and integrated Freeview - assuming that this makes it easier to record Freeview programmes. It seems that very few such models are produced - is that because they are expensive or because they don't work very well? Are there any benefits to having integrated Freeview and what would be your top choice for approx £400? Thanks

2. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not that they don't work very well, it's just that it's taken an inordinately long time for DVD/HDD recorders to be produced that have Freeview. Goodness knows why. Sony were first in last year's range with a Freeview DVD recorder, the RDR-GXD500 I believe. This year we so far have the new Sonys (RDR-GXD310 DVD recorder, plus the RDR-HXD710 and RDR-HXD910 DVD/HDD recorders, with a posher RDR-HXD1010 maybe to come) and the Panasonic DMR-ES20D DVD recorder and the DMR-EH60D DVD/HDD recorder. I have the Panasonic DMR-EH60D myself, and am very pleased with it.

There have of course been plenty of "PVRs" on the market for a long while - the HDD-only recorders with Freeview tuners built in, by the likes of Humax, Fusion, Topfield, Thomson etc.

I expect many more manufacturers will bring out Freeview equipped DVD/HDD recorders in the next few months.

A so-far unique feature of the Panasonics is that they will also pick up analogue TV, useful if you live in a tricky area or if the Freeview broadcasts go down for some reason.

Do remember that with all these Panasonics and Sonys, the tuner is a single unit, so you cannot watch a different Freeview channel to the one you're recording unless you have another means of getting Freeview, such as an IDTV or an additional Freeview box. There are lots of twin-tuner PVRs which DO allow two different Freeview channels to be received at once, but you lose the DVD aspect with those machines, and often the different recording speeds and huge HDD capacity.

The benefits to have Freeview integrated into the recorder are ease of use, particularly regarding timer recordings, as I just highlight the programme I want on the EPG and it is entered into the timer (with, on the Panasonics but NOT the Sonys as I understand it) an easy option to alter start/finish times, and the channel, title etc. details are automatically picked up and stored on the recording too. The programmes programmed (!) this way are flagged by a colourful T in a box on the EPG. With a separate setup (which I had before) it was more difficult, requiring recorder and box to be programmed separately and not always working, and no automatic titling either.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  4. Flintstone2

Flintstone2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A question along similar lines, the HDD recorders with built in Freeview, is it possible to watch the Freeview whilst recording from an external source? Or record Freeview and loop through external? Just thinking of when there is a clash between SWMBO's soaps amd my stuff on Sky.

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Dont have Sky but I get around the watching another freeview channel whilst recording from the dvd freeview tuner by having a Sagem STB plugged into AV3 socket on the TV.