Benefits of Holo Sights

Det

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, there aren't many but there are some!

FAL + Holo sight = 40 damage sustained over all ranges (excluding the 26 meter 55 damage range). So with SP, it's a 2 hit kill at any range. W/o Holo the damage drops to 35 (which is 3 hit kill)

M16 + Holo= Better accuracy (some argue better accuracy than the FAMAS gets but that argument goes both ways)

FAMAS + Holo = Better accuracy

The burst guns benefit from RDS as well with better accuracy, but Holo gives more.

No real change has been noted with other guns.

It has been suggested that adding any attachment to the AK47 adds sway to the recoil and it's best to run this weapon stock.

On the M16 is the Halo better for Red Dot?

First I used the Halo then I started to use the Red Dot as it seems more accuracy.

First I used the Halo then I started to use the Red Dot as it seems more accuracy.
Really for me it's preference. I think you see more with the RDS. It's argued the Holo is more accurate than RDS.

I don't use either sights on any guns unless I'm unlocking attachments trying for challenge xp.

As an aside: the Holo/RDS typically give most guns an accuracy bonus but the aforementioned net the most noticeable difference by the math/technical geeks I got this information from. Even the ACR benefits from it, but the ACR already has crazy accuracy so using Holo is a waste of an attachment.

Last edited:

I knwo you asked this before and I advised you to opt for the red dot because it is smaller and you can see more. But I was wrong. The Holo on the M16 is much, much better/accurate.

I'm not sure there is any difference on the Famas with Holo and Red dot, I just stick with red dot here, works well.

On the UMP I hate the Red Dot, it feels less accurate compared to Holo, silencer and no attachment.

I knwo you asked this before and I advised you to opt for the red dot because it is smaller and you can see more. But I was wrong. The Holo on the M16 is much, much better/accurate.

I'm not sure there is any difference on the Famas with Holo and Red dot, I just stick with red dot here, works well.

On the UMP I hate the Red Dot, it feels less accurate compared to Holo, silencer and no attachment.

Hum, all this time I have been using the RDS. Back to the Halo now.

I love to learn new stuff and I never knew what the Holo was for - it just seems to block majority of your vision and the fat-dot can cover an entire head/body. So fascinating to learn it adds damage.

M16 and far less accuracy than Holo... now I hav to draw the line. Are we talking massively long distances here or something, because generally I find the M16 is pin point sharp with Red Dot (not bad with regular sight, but harder to see, its bulky). I'll test it, but I refuse to believe there is a big difference, if any atall.

Why don't they show us this in the graphical representations then?

I love to learn new stuff and I never knew what the Holo was for - it just seems to block majority of your vision and the fat-dot can cover an entire head/body. So fascinating to learn it adds damage.

M16 and far less accuracy than Holo... now I hav to draw the line. Are we talking massively long distances here or something, because generally I find the M16 is pin point sharp with Red Dot (not bad with regular sight, but harder to see, its bulky). I'll test it, but I refuse to believe there is a big difference, if any atall.
Holo only adds damage on the FAL.

And the Holo adds slighly better accuracy on the 16 over the RDS. If it's too bulky and messes with your sights, then you'll be less accurate. If you don't mind the sight, over longer distances you'll be more accurate. The improvement is substantial but it won't make or break your game if you choose RDS over Holo. For instance if you were to shoot 100 bullets, maybe you'd miss 7 with stock iron sights, maybe 5 with RDS, and maybe 3 with Holo (These aren't exact figures but I'm willing to be it's not far off of the accuracy comparison).

If you absolutely have to know the accuracy difference, I can try to find the figures.

Why don't they show us this in the graphical representations then?

This chart only shows damage so you won't see the accuracy. There are bullet spread pictures on the website I got this from with numerous tests where they got the information that the Holo improves accuracy... but I don't feel like searching through the threads to find it.

EDIT: Ugh... the attachment is too small.

Try http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1773/bestchartever.png

Attachments

• bestchartever.jpg
    bestchartever.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Is that just guesswork or have they managed to reverse engineer the MW2 code? Interesting in a way as it seems there's very little difference between any of the guns in terms of damage so it really comes down to recoil, fire rate, accuracy, etc.

I guess you could spend all day looking on the web for these stats and it still wouldn't make a tiny bit of difference to your ability to play the game.

Is that just guesswork or have they managed to reverse engineer the MW2 code? Interesting in a way as it seems there's very little difference between any of the guns in terms of damage so it really comes down to recoil, fire rate, accuracy, etc.

I guess you could spend all day looking on the web for these stats and it still wouldn't make a tiny bit of difference to your ability to play the game.
The guy that made that chart tested it over countless hours on Split Screen and my personal testing in gameplay confirms a majority. Also, a PC user is the moderator of the site and he pulls quite a bit of data from the coding in the game.

Check out the site. Hey, A Message Board - Home

The guy that made that chart tested it over countless hours on Split Screen and my personal testing in gameplay confirms a majority. Also, a PC user is the moderator of the site and he pulls quite a bit of data from the coding in the game.

Check out the site. Hey, A Message Board - Home

No worries, if it's just guesswork then I'll give it a miss and stick with my gut instincts.

No worries, if it's just guesswork then I'll give it a miss and stick with my gut instincts.
My response was it's not just guesswork, it's based on hours and hours and hours of testing.

But I say go with your gut anyways, you play better with guns you enjoy playing with rather than what charts tell you to play with.

Check this vid out.

If you used a red dot and wondered why you needed 2 burst to kill basically 1/2 bullet would stray away.

Some people also argue that Holo gives more aim assist (I cannot confirm or deny this, but it does feel better with some guns).

YouTube - Modern Warfare 2 - M16 accuracy boost with the Holographic sight

Interesting vid, there is quite a bit of difference in accuracy with the holo attached which is surprizing. I always use the Famas but will give the M16/Holo sight a go once i unlock it again:thumbsup:

Holo only adds damage on the FAL..
Ok

And the Holo adds slighly better accuracy on the 16 over the RDS. If it's too bulky and messes with your sights, then you'll be less accurate. If you don't mind the sight, over longer distances you'll be more accurate. The improvement is substantial but it won't make or break your game if you choose RDS over Holo. For instance if you were to shoot 100 bullets, maybe you'd miss 7 with stock iron sights, maybe 5 with RDS, and maybe 3 with Holo (These aren't exact figures but I'm willing to be it's not far off of the accuracy comparison).

If you absolutely have to know the accuracy difference, I can try to find the figures.
Hmmm, maybe. Your confidence comes from the website I presume. Not sure about accuracy, but maybe, just maybe it gives better Aim Assist as somebody said, as the holo seems to move. But your point about only missing with 5 opposed to 3 bullets out of 100 is somewhat surprising, yet helpful, thanks; and thus makes holo less of a worry.

The Damage chart - thanks.
1. DMH - is damage percentage or dmg points?
2. Lines; red is regular, blue is supressed, green is Holo ... RDS is?
3. Famas basically has 7m better range than the M16 etc? And FAL can only sustain range over 33m if using the Holo?
4. Only 16m and the ump45 drops its dmg rating to 35 (pts/%)... yet it never feels like this.
5. WA200 v Intervention; both same? Yet both the weapon stats page and my experience leads me to belive the intervention has better damage - just its a slow loader.
6. The rpd stats are quite beliveable, as a single round tap can sometimes lead to a kill from the longest of distances if its a headshot; and more often than not, you'll get a headshot and better accuracy if you tap fire just once than giving a short burst.

Hmmm, maybe. Your confidence comes from the website I presume. Not sure about accuracy, but maybe, just maybe it gives better Aim Assist as somebody said, as the holo seems to move. But your point about only missing with 5 opposed to 3 bullets out of 100 is somewhat surprising, yet helpful, thanks; and thus makes holo less of a worry.

The Damage chart - thanks.
1. DMH - is damage percentage or dmg points?
2. Lines; red is regular, blue is supressed, green is Holo ... RDS is?
3. Famas basically has 7m better range than the M16 etc? And FAL can only sustain range over 33m if using the Holo?
4. Only 16m and the ump45 drops its dmg rating to 35 (pts/%)... yet it never feels like this.
5. WA200 v Intervention; both same? Yet both the weapon stats page and my experience leads me to belive the intervention has better damage - just its a slow loader.
6. The rpd stats are quite beliveable, as a single round tap can sometimes lead to a kill from the longest of distances if its a headshot; and more often than not, you'll get a headshot and better accuracy if you tap fire just once than giving a short burst.

1. Dmg = Percent or Damage in regular mode, Strict Damage in HC mode.
2. RDS = Nothing... no proven effect on damage (and that is a damage chart)
3. Famas has better range than M16 yes. FAL sustains damage over 33m with Holo.
4. UMP45 is a 3 hit kill at ALL ranges unless you use Stopping Power and it is within the 40 damage range, then it's 2 hit kill. Wasting the perk slot imo if you use SP.
5. WA2k and Intervention are not the same. The damage modifiers are different. WA2k gets no body modifier so if you use SP and shoot someone in the body with a WA2k it will not kill them whereas an Intervention would.
6. RPD would take 2 shots to the head with/without SP for a kill. 3 shots to body without stopping power, 2 shots with stopping power.

4. UMP45 is a 3 hit kill at ALL ranges unless you use Stopping Power and it is within the 40 damage range, then it's 2 hit kill. Wasting the perk slot imo if you use SP.

6. RPD would take 2 shots to the head with/without SP for a kill. 3 shots to body without stopping power, 2 shots with stopping power.

"hits" are we talking bursts of fire, or number of bullets? Surely the difference between 2 bullets or 3 bullets is a fraction of a second and thus means very little. I commonly use SP on regular matches, and yet would say that it often takes a 3/4 of a clip with a M4A1. Would also say the RPD takes a good long burst if you're hitting the torso only, with SP; whereas without SP I find it takes more like a long second (thats always with Grip). So... "2 shots" is 2 bullets - really? Or this is to the Head only?

"hits" are we talking bursts of fire, or number of bullets? Surely the difference between 2 bullets or 3 bullets is a fraction of a second and thus means very little. I commonly use SP on regular matches, and yet would say that it often takes a 3/4 of a clip with a M4A1. Would also say the RPD takes a good long burst if you're hitting the torso only, with SP; whereas without SP I find it takes more like a long second (thats always with Grip). So... "2 shots" is 2 bullets - really? Or this is to the Head only?
Hits = bullets.

I burst fire the UMP45 at range typically to avoid wasting bullets due to recoil.

M4A1 is a decent gun. Requires 4 hits to kill without stopping power, 3 with. Outside of it's effective range of 38meters the numbers change to 5 and 4 respectively.

RPD = 2 bullets on target with stopping power. 3 without (unless it's 2 headshots).

Hits = bullets.

I burst fire the UMP45 at range typically to avoid wasting bullets due to recoil.

M4A1 is a decent gun. Requires 4 hits to kill without stopping power, 3 with. Outside of it's effective range of 38meters the numbers change to 5 and 4 respectively.

RPD = 2 bullets on target with stopping power. 3 without (unless it's 2 headshots).

Does this not negate the need for SP ? Seems a wasted perk slot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom