1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits of having an amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Devil On Your S, May 25, 2004.

1. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I'm a total notice to the home cinema thing, and I'm about to ask the most retarded question you'll ever read. What are the benefits of actually having an amp in the first place? Why can't I just hook up the speakers to the sub and the sub to the DVD? Do I actually need an amp?

2. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At it's simplest An amplifier amplifies the sound and feeds the signal to the speakers. It also does a lot more than that such as switching sources. I am sure others will give a lot more detail. Do you have a tape deck, CD player etc?

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's only subwoofers for computers that will power additional "satellite" speakers because the amp is actually built into it.

4. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I don't have a tape deck or CD player, I'm just after a 5 speaker surround sound kit for my television at the moment. I just want to know basically if I NEED an amp at the most basic level - E.G. Can I just add the speakers and sub to my DVD player and it will still all work. I notice the 5 speaker systems don't actually come with an amp usually, so can they work without one?

5. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol i would love to see a system without a amp in it ;P
    if you manage to get any sound at all let me know, btw active subs have amps.

good luck

6. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Well that's all I needed to know not beforehand knowing a thing about it :D So the 5 speaker systems with a sub will usually be an active sub I guess. Thanks.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think the most basic answer to your question is Yes you do need an amp.:lesson:

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The signal from the DVD player is not sufficient to drive the speakers directly, as well some players do not have an analog 5.1 output, thus an AV amp is required to drive the speakers and provide the decoding.

An amp has therefore several functions, a integrated AV amp usually has a pre-amplifier section (input selection, volume control, decoding / DSP and video switching) and a power amp stage (to drive the speakers).
    An Av receiver has the same functions but provides an additional tuner (radio).

9. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AE make a little system, its got a small processor which then connects to the sub, the sub then does the amplification for all the speakers. so it does have an amp but you dont have to have a big dedicated amp under your tele.
    its called the aEGO (http://www.acoustic-energy.com/products/aego/aegoloudspeakers.html) might be worth a look.

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im not sure what this means but the impression I got is that you are left thinking that any speaker system with an active sub doesnt need an amp. It is almost always the case that only cheap nasty speaker systems run off a supplied subwoofer. With more quality items, despite the subwoofer perhaps having an amp, this amp is designed ONLY for the sub, so you then need an amp for the speakers as well.

ad