1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits of buying the NW-HD5 from Sony shops ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by batesym, Jul 21, 2005.

1. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, congrats on a suberb site. Found you through my research for the new sony mp3 player. And the discussions have been very usefull.

I have decided to buy the nw-hd5, but i just have a couple of queries. I went down to TCR yesterday to the sony centre there, and the price of the 30G model is 230 quid. On amazon its 210, what advantages do i get of buying from sony direct?

Also my laptop is getting old and running low on disc space. I have about 1gig of space left on the hard drive. Is this going to be a problem. (Kinda ironic that my mp3 player will have a larger hard disc than my computer!!

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

P.S The guy in the sony shop was excellent - he let me look at sonicstage on a pc and play with the hd5.

PPS he said that you can copy music off a pc without sonicstage and store it on the hard-drive, then when you get to your pc (with sonicstage) you can transfer your files and bingo - not sure if you didnt know that already, but there you go.

2. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats: You will love the player.
    only 1Gb for general use is like running on empty. unless you are using a older laptop ie. 486. Either buy a bigger Hdisk or upgrade you laptop.

Buy from the shop has it's advantages:
    no waiting.
    customer service.
    quick return/replacement.
    generally no waiting when swapping you product should it fail.

I bought a DVD player from ebuyer once and it was damaged. returned it and had to wait upto 5 weeks for a replacement because of their swap out procedures of ebuyer. If I had bought from the shops. I would not have had this problem.
    You will pay more, but considering that there "could" be issues with any product you buy, you can at least have a speedy turn around. I buy online because I do a lot of research befor I buy and know the products good and bad points. The HD5 is not with out problems, no product is, but the HD5 meets my mp3 requirements:
    it's small (Less is more)
    simple to navigate
    Sound is excellent
    has 20GB or 30Gb (more than I need)
    and one of my top reasons: 30-40 hour battery life.

3. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response pollmak. I agree the main factor in deciding between online purchases and store purchases (especially from direct franchises) is the ability to return a product direct and the speed of turnaround.
    I guess then the question that arises is what chance I'm going to need to return the product, and what chance I'm going to take on it.

I'm still undecided as yet. But I'm one possibility is to buy a 20GB from sony, which will probably cost about 190-200 quid. I think this will be big enough, and that way I can save some money and buy a remote for it.

As for my laptop, I have been meaning to wipe the thing, and start all over again. Its just a case of time and effort of backing all the stuff I want to keep and making sure I dont loose anything. (I have 2GB of photos alone) Also its getting old now and I'm not sure how much longer its gonna last. Mainly its just laziness though.

4. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased from Sony Centre , nothing but trouble no returns no refunds complete stone wall..........See HD3 threads..........Argos is best or amazon they seem to sort problems .Sony centres very small franchise operations watching the margins like crazy.......Hopeless

k

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, so I came up with a simple solution.

I've bought a 120gb external hard-drive. Only cost me about £80 or so.

I can store all my music on it (my Zen is 60gb), clear the music from my laptop, and then use the external HD to back up my laptop.

2 days after backing my stuff up, my laptop went belly up, and I'd have lost the lot were it not for the external HD.

Steve W

6. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one pecker, you've just solved my problem. I can buy the hd5 and use it as a back up for my computer, then wipe my laptop and transfer stuff back onto the laptop.

Can someone confirm its possible to use the hd5 as a Hdisk? That would be ideal!

Just still cant decide between 20GB or 30.

7. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as backups go, I was in the same situation and then got a disk failure. And I have a DVDRW and work in IT for Foooks sake. I aways tell people back up your work, and when I had a hard disk failure, I tried everything to revive the data, but when a disk ticks it's dead. It was like: Take my advice I'm not using it. That piece of humble pie was very bitter.
    Think about how it would feel to never be able to see those photos again, all 2 Gb worth...not nice hey.

8. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could also buy a cheap Hdisk enclosure that plugs into a USB port. Replace you disk, build your laptop, and move/copy your data from your older disk. You will have a new drive and a portable usb disk storage solution.

9. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    One thing, I'm a bit computer thick.

So I didn't delete my laptop's HD until I was double sure that I could access everything on my external HD properly.

The great thing about the external is that, as well as storing my music on it (this freeing up my laptop's HD), I can also back up on it.

Just make sure the external HD you but is bigger than the HD on your mp3 player + the HD on your laptop.

Steve W

10. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for your suggestions guys. I shall look into a portable external HD, probably usefull in the long run. I've only got USB1.1 though.

As to backing up- I have been trying to back up with cds at various stages, its just a real pain to work out what you've backed up and not. I guess there's probably a program out there to do this for me - but its a bit late for that now.

11. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Batesy, my external MD isn't portable. It's about half the size of a shoe box!

Steve W

12. thx25

thx25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos is good for returns. Just keep your receipt and they will be fine. All a retailer is obliged to do once you have "deemed to have accepted the goods" is put you in the same situation you were before. Example.... you have a HD5 that is 5 months old that has developed a fault, they need to provide you with a HD5 that is 5 months old and working. Best way to do this is a free repair. However, because of the nature of the company they are not really specialized in anything so most of the time you will get a replacement. This means you will have had free use for 5 months in this case! If they will not repair, or replace you are entitled to a partial refund of the difference of how long it was expected to last v how long it did. As this is never actually done you will get a full refund back to method of payment. If they offer you vouchers refuse.

Hope that helps!

13. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got mine from Dixons for £200. And I bought it there because I wanted to be able to take it back if anything went wrong.

The buttons have cracked, so I think I might take it back, and ask for a black one. Its under a month old!

14. SweetOrchid

SweetOrchid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Batesym

I would certainly be careful when buying anything from The Sony Shop.. They are NOT good at returns, if you have a problem with your HD5 you will have an awful lot of trouble getting a refund or exchange.

I recommend John Lewis if you have one near you, there returns policy is marvellous...

Good luck

15. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good idea pecker. I've just had a look in maplin and they sell enclosures for 40 quid, plus a 120 GB hard drive for 60. Better than buying a portable 40gb drive for £100ish.
    I get your meaning about shoe boxy, but i dont really need anything ultra portable.

As for the nw5 I'm leaning towards the 30GB model, cos an extra 10 GB for £30 is a good deal, and then there is always space more if i ever need it. Plus i think i the silver with black buttons looks good.

Off to get more lemsip down me - why do i always get colds in the summer, this weekend is gonna blow. cheers for all your suggestions again.

16. apfraats

apfraats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in Holland, we have a Sony shop too, you can use the internet to buy.

Two main things:

- They are a lot expensive then onther 'normal shop'. Just look around.
    - Service of Sony here is also Terrible.

Best you go to a cheap shop that offers good service.

I payed 246 Euro for mine 20 GB.

I didn''t even want the 30 GB cause it has white keys on a black case, which in my opnion looks just ugly...

Good Luck with it.

Antoine