• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Benefits of Blue Ray?

orac v zen

Standard Member
Hello everyone,and happy new year (late i know) lol :hiya:
Ok o got a sammy 42 inch plasma (PS42A45TP1XXU) its supposed to upscale to 1080P ?
I have a tosh dvd player XD-E 500KB (best player iv ever had ,fantastic pic)
Its set to 1080i.

Ok if i got a blue ray player (looking at sammys,phillips (£77 in asda))
1) Will i see any real benefit/differance?
2) If so why , what and how?

seating is between 8ft to 14ft
thank you ace

nedmundo

Established Member
Picture will be noticeably better, but what I find really noticeable is the sound. If you're using a decent A/V amp, the sound is in a completely different class.

scorpion88

Established Member
You can pick up the Sony BDP 360 for less than £100 on Amazon and probably other places. I am not into BD yet but sounds like the bargain of the decade (so far),

Cheers

Scorpion

blaster9999

Established Member
You can pick up the Sony BDP 360 for less than £100 on Amazon and probably other places. I am not into BD yet but sounds like the bargain of the decade (so far),

Cheers

Scorpion

tosh is a good upscaler, (infact better than the cheaper blu ray players), But if you got the viewing distance right the PQ from a blu ray will better, Also if you haven't done so, upgrade your sound , if its one weakness sammy seem to suffer from its poor sound. AQ from blu ray disc, if you can access it can be stunning

scorpion88

Established Member
tosh is a good upscaler, (infact better than the cheaper blu ray players), But if you got the viewing distance right the PQ from a blu ray will better, Also if you haven't done so, upgrade your sound , if its one weakness sammy seem to suffer from its poor sound. AQ from blu ray disc, if you can access it can be stunning

Not sure what you want, the best non-blu ray players IMO are the Oppo series.

I have the Oppo 980 and it not only upscales brilliantly but is also excellrnt as a CD Player.

Personally I would rather have the best DVD upscaler rather than a Blu Ray Player until the limited available blu ray discs are significantly reduced in priced.

The Toshiba you mention is good but not great as an upscaler.

I have upgraded my sound by having stereo only. An equivilant quality AV Ampplifier would cost about £1200 plus for stereo and I really do not want my listening room surrounded by inferior speakers. Besides IMO movies can sound great with quality stereo equipment. For example a £500 AV Player is great for movies but flat and dead for music.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Scorpion

blaster9999

Established Member
Not sure what you want, the best non-blu ray players IMO are the Oppo series.

I have the Oppo 980 and it not only upscales brilliantly but is also excellrnt as a CD Player.

Personally I would rather have the best DVD upscaler rather than a Blu Ray Player until the limited available blu ray discs are significantly reduced in priced.

The Toshiba you mention is good but not great as an upscaler.

I have upgraded my sound by having stereo only. An equivilant quality AV Ampplifier would cost about £1200 plus for stereo and I really do not want my listening room surrounded by inferior speakers. Besides IMO movies can sound great with quality stereo equipment. For example a £500 AV Player is great for movies but flat and dead for music.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Scorpion

From spec the oppos are better, but cost was part of the equation for me, xde 500 was signif cheaper and came with a years free lovefilm (my list there currently filled with blu rays. I really didn't need it but at £60 cheaper then than the cost of the LF membership. :) The xde 600 still comes with 6 months membership.

As for sound my xde not even plugged into my amp, just directly into the tv (with has DD decoder but no subwoofer)via hdmi. Bit rate wise they just can't compete with the current hd codecs and my amp has only two hdmi. PQ wise the right transfer can still look very good, but I haven't bought a dvd film for years.

scorpion88

Established Member
If I was you and read you correctly I would get the Sony 360 BDP. I have not seen it but my friends rave about it. It costs the same as about 5-6 BD discs and apparently is not bad with CD's either.

If you are into BD discs and want a good player this is the one to get from what I have heard anecdotally.

Also gets rave reviews in industry mags.

Cheers and Good Luck

orac v zen

Standard Member
Thank you for all the advice,sorry i not replied earlier(i been ill,and problems with my daughter), the oppo is very good ,but alas out of my price range for a upscaler,as its been said on here the tosh is excellent im very happy,my mate jusy got a £400.00 plus sony blue ray,,,waaay out of my league,i missed the phillips deal at asdas ,,so what im gonna do is wait until prices drop and girlfriend happy for me to spend.But i agree with you on the sony 360 thats go aswell.
This thread made interesting read so thanks eveyone:hiya::clap::thumbsup:
cheers,ace:smashin::hiya::D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom