Benefits of an upscaling DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lozfuller, Sep 6, 2007.

1. lozfuller

lozfuller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a fairly basic non-upscaling DVD player (Panasonic S32) connected to a Hitachi PJ-TX200 projector, which I think can display up to 720p HD.

I'm wondering how much benefit I would see by upgrading to an upscaling DVD player around the £100 mark - would the improvement in picture quality be significant? I'm a little confused when it comes to upscaling - will my projector already upscale the SD from my Panasonic DVD player to 720P? If so, what benefits are there from having a DVD player that upscales?

Assuming the upscaling DVD player is a goer, how much is it worth spending on an HDMI cable if I only need a 1 metre length?

Thanks

Loz

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    usually if scaler in the dvd player in the dvd is better then worhtwhile, some dispaus have low end sclaer/s de-interlachsers so dvd plaeyer could be better.

as for cable, 1m use cheap stuff it'll work.

3. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Whether you will see an improvement is very hard to say.

If your pj is native res 720p then it will definitely have some internal scaling cicuitry to convert an sd input to that display resolution.

You will therefore only see an improvement if as said above the scaler in the DVD player is better than that in your pj, in fact it will need to be better by a magin large enough that you actually notice when watching. So if your talking a budget of less than £100 I wouldn't expect any massive improvements if I were you.

Denon and Arcam upscaling DVD/amps have good reps, particularly the more expensive models but those would I think be out of your budget.

If there is any way for you to test feed your pj an upscaled source, maybe from or pc or by borrowing a mates player I would try that before parting with your cash for something that may not really achieve much.

4. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I tend to advise about looking at a HD DVD player like the Toshiba E1, okay your probably talking £170 but if your looking anyway around the £100 no upscaled DVD will look as good as a true HD DVD.

5. lozfuller

lozfuller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, but I'd then only benefit by using HD DVD disks?

I'm inputting HD into my Hitachi projector through a Pace HD satellite box on the BBC HD channel and this is certainly better (I suppose understandably!) than the PQ when using my DVD player - I suppose the Pace also upscales when I'm watching SD channels? These tend to be a bit fuzzy.

Loz