Benefits of a Sky HD box with no HD sub?

Scapegoat

I have upgraded my Sky HD box to a new Amstrad 1TB version and wondered if I gave it to my mate who currently has Sky+ what benefit it would have for him?

if he paired his card, would he be able to watch any HD channels - if so which?

If he could see HD, would he be able to record?

Would be good if he could get the WC in HD

ShortNick

I have a Sky HD box with no card and I still get BBC & ITV HD (that's if ITV don't put an advert on every time England score). I believe that if he has a Sky subscription and pairs his card with the new box he will also get C4 HD (although I could be wrong), but he will also get all the SD channels that he used to get on his old box as well as Sky+ features. I may be wrong but that is my understanding. He will not get any HD channels other than the free-to-air ones unless he upgrades his sub to HD for an extra £10 a month. (i think you also get Luxe HD free-to-air,but who cares!!)

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
To be more specific than the post above.

If he pairs his card with the Sky HD box. - then assuming he has any kind of subscription he will be able to watch and record (and live pause etc)

BBC HD
ITV HD
Channel 4 HD
Luxe HD

He will also be able to watch and record the BBC1 HD when that launches.

Channel 5 HD is also launching on sky - if that is Free to View or Free to Air, he will also be able to watch and record that. But that is not confirmed one way or the other yet AFAIK.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom