1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits of a separate tuner?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by vanwel, Feb 3, 2003.

1. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered an Arcam A85 and a DV88+. Don't have a surround receiver/amp yet, but will do so in about 6 months.
    Usually I listen to cd's, but I'd like to listen to the radio sometimes. So I'm thinking about getting a T61 tuner from Arcam.
    However, when I'll buy a surround receiver, will this tuner become obsolete? I mean, what kind of advantages does a separate tuner have compared to a receiver?
    It would be a shame if the two devices can do exactly the same. Then I'd better wait for my receiver, right?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A seperate tuner has the benefit of having (on the whole) a much better sound quality.

The tuners in some recivers can dsiply the RDS info on screen, which is quite nice (on most Denons).

What are you going to be doing with your A85? Could it not be run on this, or will be acting as an amp running off your receiver?

3. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the T61 has RDS, so that's a point for this tuner.
    I'm still a little in the blue about combining amps/receivers and all that stuff. Maybe you could take a look at this link?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66035&highlight=arcam+avr200

However, if I have an AV receiver, my A85 will be driving my two front speakers, maintaining the best stereo quality. When watching a movie, the receiver will be driving the center and the rears. At least, that's what I think is the most logical thing? Or isn't that what you want to know?

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds logical to me.

If you're only wanting multi-channel from DVD then you may want to consider the DVD-A boaerd for the DV88+ and the 6ch board for the A85. Then all you need to add is a P85/3 power amp.

5. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there's the point where you lose me.
    I thought adding the P85/3 would give me multichannel sound. But does it give 5.1? So does it allow a subwoofer I mean?
    But why do I need a board in the dvd and why another one in de A85? What do these boards do exactly? What gives me DTS, DD, DPLII and all that stuff?
    (1 dumb guy can ask more questions than 10 smart ones can answer... don't know if english people know this expression, but this is translated from Dutch. I think it's appropriate here...:blush: )

PS: Buying a P85/3 and two modules, that must be expensive. Isn't it better to buy the AVR200?
    Even more so because I have no clue whatsoever about the release date of these things...

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The DVD-A board for the DV88+ gives the player the ability to decode DVD-A, DD, dts and I think DPL from DVD's only. This gives a 5.1 channel output.

The 6ch board for the A85 gives it the abilty to take a 6ch input and give a 6ch output, rather than just the 2ch's that it does normally. Not sure on what else it can do, but definately no decoding .

An AVR200 is £800, it's not a bad reciever, but it does lack 6/7.1 capability and component video switching. It is also good in stereo but that will not affect you.

I'm not aware when an "AVR300" will appear, possibly before the end of the year. There have been rumours about an Arcam DiVA range processor for quite a while now, hopefully one will appear at some point.

The biggest question is: When do you want the multichannel capability?

7. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies so far, you're really helping me!

If I understand correctly, I'd need the DVD-A board and the 6ch board, or the DVD-A board and the P85/3? Only difference that the 6ch will give me 6.1 and the P85/3 5.1?
    Don't know what component video switching is. What option(s) of the two above does give me this feature?

I've read a little thread about possible Diva products like the FMJ AV8/P7, but John Dawson seems to deny that will happen.
    And to make sure I understand it: the processor does the same job as the DVD-A board and the poweramp does the same as the P85/3 or the A85/6ch combination?
    An AV receiver is really an integrated processor and poweramp?

When do I want the multichannel capability.. hahahah... good one! My A85 and DV88+ will arrive end of february. I want them NOW! After that I will be saving for a plasma. Probably will be in may when I get that. But I want it NOW!!
    And finally multichannel.... well... need a summer vacation, so no saving in that period... ...*sigh*... will be the end of the year...:( I want it NOOOOOOOOW!!!! :rolleyes:
    I'll probably just buy a cheap 5.1 speaker/receiver set for the meanwhile...

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    In which case go out an demo some recivers that you are interested in, and buy it. The new Denon 3803 would be top of my list.

Don't worry about a tuner for now, you may want to consider getting a digital one in the future instead (not sure if you have DAB in the Netherlands yet).

Which speakers are you using for stereo duties?

9. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably the best thing to do, although to demo a receiver in a store is so hard. Not getting the demo, but trying to hear the difference and all. Especially if you've never heard surround somewhere else than in the cinema.

Digital in Holland? Mwuahahahahahahah! Ooooooh, everything is so CRAP here. We don't even KNOW what digital means! Well, that's the next thing I will look into.

For stereo I will be using (ordered them with the Arcam set) the Quads 11L. Not solely based on reviews, but I actually demoed them in a store! :D

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You'll want to get something that matches your Quad;s then fro the rest of the surround system. Dont' go budget and then change, you're better to buy in bits. IE next get another pair of 11's for the surrounds, then add the centre and then a sub etc.

Enjoy.

Feel free to ask anymore Q's.

11. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've been a big help! If I have more questions, I'll definitely ask them!:smashin:

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just been flicking across the Quad site. They do a matching L centre, so that's ok. A decent sub really starts with something like the Velodyne CHT-10, £325 at the mo.

Have fun.:D