• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Benefit of having a optical out

Clean-my-sxi

Standard Member
as said in a previous thread, whats the benefit of having a optical out on the player, ill be getting a onkyo theatre system hopefully for christmas, and have not checked if it has optical in, i assume it does but then it has hdmi pass through anyway.

I assume the advantage would be i could connect the optical to it and the hdmi to the tv allowing me to have the soun d come through the onyo if i choose to, if there is no optical on the player the onkyo will have to be on all the time.

do all formats pass through optical aswell

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I think you are missing the point a bit with SPDIF bitstream. These are the legacy interfaces and are there to allow backwards compatibility but only pass two codecs, Dolby Digital and DTS core. If you have HDMI interface you are are less likely to use this interface. It is a stable and reliable interface to allow backwards compatibility.

Clean-my-sxi

Standard Member
you lost me a bit there mate, but from what i can gather its not really that important for me to have if using hdmi through a reciever.

its more to use with older tech possibly and does not pass through more upto date sound formats ??? not sure if thats right

Clean-my-sxi

Standard Member
right ok cheers for that mate,

it probably wont be that important to me then, i was thinking i could use the optical to attach to the reciever to allow me to have the reciever on when i wanted instead of passing through the hdmi,

but looks like i wont be getting the same sound quality as through the hdmi so seems rather pointless doing it that way,

Is there a way to do it, so i can have my blue ray and ps3 linked through the tv and the reciever allowing me to have the reciever on when i choose to.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
nothing wrong with the sound quality from SPDIF, Blu rays are a substantial hike up from DVDs via this interface and well beyond the resolving capability of most kit available. I am a fan.

CJROSS

Prominent Member
nothing wrong with the sound quality from SPDIF, Blu rays are a substantial hike up from DVDs via this interface and well beyond the resolving capability of most kit available. I am a fan.

Real shame is that so many people are being hyped into buying HDMI audio able AV amps I feel, when the quality from SPDIF - DTS core @ 1.5mbps is such a step up from DTS from SD-DVD to my ears.

Clean-my-sxi

Standard Member
sorry, am i actually right in thinking i could connect the ps3 and blue ray to a reciever then via a optical, and connect them to the tv via HDMI, this would allow me to only play sound through the reciever when i chose to and just have tv sound all other times.

saying that though i would have to change the settings on the ps3 everytime i think

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom