Benefit from new coax cable to digital TV box?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Shimmie, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have NTL digital in my apartment, just installed (not working yet but should be soon....).

I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their coaxial cables and noticed a significant improvement in video or audio quality?

I'm just setting up a new home cinema system, getting everything from scratch, and I was considering buying a QED Qunex TTV coax lead to replace the free one that came with the NTL box.

This is to replace the connection between the wall socket and the NTL digital box. I have a QED scart cable between the digital box and the TV.

Is this worth doing? In the past I've noticed immense improvements by replacing freebie scart cables between digital box and TV with quality scart cables. I'm wondering if there are similar performance gains to be had by replacing the short coax cable between the wall and the NTL box.

Thanks all in advance.

Simon

2. truebluenose

truebluenose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only possible improvemnt would be getting extra channels that you couldn't receive before due to increased signal level. If you currently get all the channels i.e. the frequency signal is strong enough, then there is no point in changing it.

3. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you wouldn't expect any difference in terms of picture or sound quality?

Surprised to hear that, given the very noticeable improvements possible by replacing cheap scart cables with good cables. Just expected the same would be true of coax cables.

Is this because the signal over the coax cable to the NTL digital decoder is a digital signal, and isn't subject to interference / degradation?

4. truebluenose

truebluenose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct.

5. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This got bought up about a year ago. People did get very frustrated with my answers.

How can it be worth replacing a few meters of cable when theres a much longer coax cable which runs from the home to the road, and possibly a bit further.

Replacing the scart cable may have helped as that is a anlogue signal. Cable is digital. 0's and 1's, well not quite. I think it uses Quadrature amplitude modulation.

6. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Accept that. However, its also true to say that digital signals can (and do) get corrupted / impacted upon all the time, so its fair to ask whether a quality cable would transport the signal to the digital box from the wall better than a cheap cable.

I have to say I'm still shocked by the improvement I achieved by upgrading the scart connection from the digital box to the TV - was just hoping for something similar again ;-)

Thanks everyone - saved me spending £50 on a cable I don't need!!