Benchmarks used in reviews

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Greg Hook, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,703
    As a noob, I can't seem to get the right balance in my PC reviews. I've added loads of benchmarks that people have suggested over the years but then get complaints that I am still not doing it properly or it's too synthetic.

I know most of us here build our own systems but in a PC system review what benchmarks would you like to see run? Just a note, it needs to be free as AVF won't pay for it and also in our new one page format I need to be fairly brief.

Also, I'm guessing it is just me that didn't know that drive manufacturers use a different definition of a GB than computer science does? :laugh:

If anyone wants to be a technical consultant or even a reviewer to help me, then please step forward. It's unpaid obviously but you do get to play with some nice toys.:D

2. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I would say obviously Valley benchmark and I think some kind of 3d mark was free
    Games would be good but like you said, they are not free

3. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,703
    Here's what I currently use:

Super Pi @ 1M
    3D Mark 11
    Passmark Performance Test 7
    Cinebench 11.5
    Unigine Heaven 4
    Unigine Heaven 3
    Unigine Valley 1
    PC Mark 7

then ATTO Disk Benchmark it if has an SSD.

For gaming I usually do COD, BF3 and Max Payne 3. There are probably better games to benchmark with but I don't own too many.

5. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,670
    If AVF want to be a go-to place for reviews then it really needs to step up its game. It's no hidden fact that AVF is a business venture yet it expects it can be a top level place without investing. It shouldn't need explaining that a bit of investment in it will help to improve the content and quality of a review, thereby raising the view count and the number of people viewing the ads for Stuart. To do that, investment is needed in your time and in the materials given to you. Quite honestly, if it has to brief (regardless of what review it is), you get no compensation for the time you put in or help with any of it then AVF doesn't seem to care about its reviews and you're better off doing it elsewhere that does.

This isn't meant against you Greg, it just seems the expectation is you spend your free time producing high quality reviews without any help all for the benefit of AVF.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,703
    That's no problem, I'm not taking it against me. It's doing what you can with no resources, which is why I can only test/bench with free software.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Agree with Ash
    How much is it for games? Not a lot really. Could even get them from the classifieds.

8. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah game benchmarks are the ones I look at when reading a graphics card or CPU review, I tend to skip over the synthetic benchmarks unless it's stuff like CPU encoding stuff.

People reading reviews want to know "can that system run BF4/Crysis 3" and for full system reviews especially so as its more likely to be newcomers to PC gaming reading the reviews and buying full PC systems based on those reviews. Us hardcore PC gamers can take one look at a system and see what GPU and CPU it has, and either know what it'll run or look up other benchmarks to see game performance. A complete newbie to pc gaming won't know the difference between a 4570k and a 4770k, or a gtx760 and a r9 280x.

I haven't read the reviews myself but I would think full system reviews need to be aimed at either complete newcomers to PC gaming, or at least those with not enough knowledge to build their own system, that'll be the majority of your reader base.

Then of course if you include game benchmarks most games don't have a benchmark utility, so you need to find a section you can run over and over in exactly the same way in order to get consistent results. A couple of big games would do it tbh, no need to go over board.

Edit: Just had a quick read of your latest review of that £1700 HTPC :smashin: Yeah, that's probably not meant for the typical PC gaming newbie :D although I would still expect people buying that system to not necessarily have loads of PC knowledge, maybe a person with an expensive home cinema room who wants to add a HTPC to their set-up.

I read the comments about the RAID 0 SSD's - for me it seems like a little bit of showing off by the manufacturer - I'd have much preferred to see a single large SSD (250GB+), in real world terms RAID 0 SSD's are more for the e-peen than anything else, unless you're doing large file transfers, or working of huge image files on photoshop or video software, which you're not going to be doing on a HTPC :smashin: Plus I'd want to be making regular backups with SSD's in RAID, double the chance of failure (even though SSDs fail much less than HDDs) so you'd want to have that safety net.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    What he said. Full system reviews and component reviews have a different audience imo.