Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond

jwramsay

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was a fantastic day in Scotland, so I took my Nikon D40 with 18-55 Kit lens for a walk up Ben Lomond, a munro of 974m. These photos ae the NEFs post processed using Capture NX2.

#1. Loch Lomond from Balmaha
2919383972_95f2c222b1_b.jpg

#2. Loch Lomond from Rowardennan
2919414296_79e3d70a6b_b.jpg

#3. The Cobbler (centre) from Ben Lomond
2919439554_fcf0069d02_b.jpg

#4. Northerly Cliffs from the summit of Ben Lomond
2918547569_406b11c269_b.jpg

#5. Ben Lomond with Loch Lomond
2918556091_ab0aefc6fe_b.jpg

#6. A Lonely Tree on the banks of Loch Lomond
2918560933_502b8c63fe_b.jpg

#7. Loch Lomond at sunset
2919410246_20a55fc982_b.jpg

More on my Flickr account.

Comments?

1,2 & 4 are very nice indeed. You make me feel homesick!! (or more specifically country sick!)

Very nice set - really nice colours. The light at this time of year is fantastic.

I think No1 is my pick. The stones leading in, with the sails on the horizon and a perfect exposure. Nice.

Hi

iv not been on here for a long while, so accept my apologies....

Number 4 is my favourite. you can feel the height in this one. and yes scotland was lovely yesterday. first time for a while.

:thumbsup:

karen

No's 3,4,5 and 6 are great,with no'4 being the standout shot.:thumbsup:

Very very nice. One comment if you dont mid - Maybe a little photoshop to add some gradient/contrast/impact to the skys - Little flat and washed out IMO. Still much better than my recent landscapes :)

I like number 1, but have you slightly over PP'd the sky. Maybe it is my monitor.

Beautiful shots of a beautiful place. 4,5 & 7 are the ones for me, but I'd happily hang any of them on my wall :D

Living in Aberdeen I often forget that I'm surrounded by such beauty.... I need to get out and about more.

Beautiful shots of a beautiful place. 4,5 & 7 are the ones for me, but I'd happily hang any of them on my wall :D

Living in Aberdeen I often forget that I'm surrounded by such beauty.... I need to get out and about more.

The D40 being a 6MP camera, what size could these be blown up to? Is it best to use the RAW to print from, and do these online print places deal in RAW?

I think for printing it's advised to convert from RAW to TIFF as TIFFs aren't compressed. Not sure what you can blow 6MP images up to I'm afraid.... I'm a bit of a noob to all this, I only just got my 1st DSLR on Thursday! I'm sure there will be loads of guides on the net for getting the best prints, or one of the many helpful members on here should be able to give you some pointers.

The D40 being a 6MP camera, what size could these be blown up to?
It would depend on who you use and what material you print to

Some material ( eg Canvas) is more sympathetic to enlargements ... and there are Professional software like THIS that can be used to enlarge print sizes manyfold and still get reasonable detail
Dont forget that the Pixel density ( and per pixel sharpness quality of a sensor) means that a 6MP d40 and a 10MP P and S may produce quite different quality files with the D40s coming up tops
Is it best to use the RAW to print from, and do these online print places deal in RAW?
They may or more likely may not but it is best to Process the RAW yourself and then convert to TIFF

Excellent Pictures BTW:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great thread, difficult to pick a favourite although if pushed I do like the composition of #1. Great DOF on these pics you've nailed the focus very well IMO. Makes me laugh when you read reviews that criticise the quality of kit lenses if you hadn't said what you'd used for these pics for me these have "2.8 glass" written all over them :thumbsup:

The D40 being a 6MP camera, what size could these be blown up to? Is it best to use the RAW to print from, and do these online print places deal in RAW?

On canvas you would get 20" by 30" of good quality comfortably. When I print onto canvas I save the file out of capture NX as a TIFF and process and enlarge it in CS3

Last edited:
nice set of pics, loch lomond is a lovely place.

#4 is the pick of the bunch for me

I have a 40" x 30" print on my wall at work that I had done from one of my older D50 images (same sensor) and its pretty good, running the image through Genuine Fractals helps with enlargements.

Bill

Beautiful scenery!

#1 is my favourite due to the stones in the foreground.

I also like the silhouette and reflections on the water in #7.

All the others look wonderfully remote.

Cheers.

Just keep an eye on your file sizes mate, 300KB max for embedding :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom