Quantcast

Ben Hur On Five The Other Night

Garrett

I recorded this but as it so long is it worth watching if you seen the Charlton Heston version.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
Was given the blu-ray 'Ben Hur' starring Charlton Heston for Christmas. Also recorded the new version 'Ben Hur' on channel 5. Same dilemma - which one to watch first?

However, at the moment watching the six 'Star Wars' set of films on blu-ray (another Christmas present). So Ben Hur will have to wait!

:D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I suppose for a tv series it was not too bad but a poor imitation of one of the best films ever made.

The acting was really without any passion and I never felt that much for any of the characters unlike those in the 1959 edition.

Garrett

Just got 2 hours in.
Shows a little more characterisation but cant keep thinking when I saw David as Danny Blue from Hustle. The slave ship was dead obvious it was CGI.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
The missus and I started watching the TV version of Ben Hur after lunch. I got one hour in and walked away, bored. Left the missus to it.

It's OK but not up to the standard of the film. I think this might be down to the TV version dealing more with bickering between people and the film's wider and broader power of politics and action.

The impression I get is the TV version of Ben Hur is a sort of Roman Coronation Street.

:(

Garrett

Just finished it. there seemed more story to it than the film which was a plus point but no way as polished and I thought it was not a tenth as convincing as the film. The charriot race was very poor even taking into consideration they could not afford a colusem and had to make do with a dirt track.

Mind you at least it had a nice naked lady:laugh::devil:

Garrett