Beltane!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Brammers, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Brammers

Brammers
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Not posted in a while, so here's an update with what I've been up to.

I've been recruited as a photographer for the Beltane Fire Society in Edinburgh. It's an ancient pagan ritual that's been revived and now attracts about 12,000 people to Carlton Hill each year. This year's the 20th anneversary, should be even bigger. Next Monday, 30th April, check out www.beltane.org - if you're around you should definately turn up!

It's certainly kept me busy and the shooting's been demanding, although not entirely my kind of thing. It's snap and grab style - just filling memory cards full of fast action shots and sifting out what you can afterwards. It does, however, seriously test your technical abilities - composition almost takes a back seat to actually getting the shot out!

Anyway, here's a sneak preview of the event:

[​IMG]
    Fund raising! The society has been a bit strapped for cash this year, so plenty of events going on trying to bring some in.

[​IMG]
    Always plenty of colourful characters

[​IMG]
    This is Earth Point practising their routine

[​IMG]
    Some of the entertainment on offer

[​IMG]
    The procession, watching part of the performance

[​IMG]
    This is how it all kicks off, as the May Queen (center) leads off from the Acropolis

[​IMG]
    Shooting into an overcast sky, the sepia conversion came out well

[​IMG]
    I think this one will be entered into this month's competition.

Anyway, hope you like them.

Exif should be included in the files. Lenses used were 35mm f2 and 135mm 2.8, along with a 70-210 f4 zoom. Minolta and Sony users should certainly look to pick up that last one - it goes for about £80 second hand, gives creamy bokeh and is seriously sharp. Plenty available on ebay.

Final plea, if you're in the Edinburgh area, get yourself down to Carlton Hill on Monday for 9pm. It'll be awesome, and you might even catch a sight of me :p

2. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Nice pictures there, like the last two - give a good sense of scale. Which were the 'beercan' ones then?

3. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    looks like a bar of soap wouldn't go amiss on some of the blokes :rotfl:

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Nice collection there.. I reckon they'll be happy with their choice of photographer;)

Unlike Strobe Im not too sure about the last two.. the sky may have made it impossible to expose the people properly( there they are very small anyway:)) though the images certainly show a sense of scale

But I see your fast primes are proving their worth!:smashin: