1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Below

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sgt.Colon, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen this movie? Please could I have your opinions of it?

Thanks Guys :)

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Three thumbs up from me (we like to keep it in the family round these here parts).
    Decent story, nice atmospheric audio track, good acting.... just what you want from a ghost story in a submarine. Very claustrophobic with some nice creaky pipes. Spooky.

I don't understand why it tanked at the box office in the US, so much so it's threatened it even getting a release over here. All I can do is blame the marketing people as I think it's very good.

3. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Rambo :smashin: I'll give it an order today. :)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    It felt more like an extended episode from "the outer Limits" to me
    Although I wouldn't necessarily not apply that description to Pitch Black.

The submarine (interiors and exteriors) did not convince at all:(the floor is plain wrong!) it felt like two rooms but with no sense of a real enviroment: compare with K19 and U571 and discuss in this regard.

I also got very confused about whom everyone was at the start as a couple of the main characters look very similar.

Depth charge scenes were dismal from a sound point of view : again compare with just about every submarine flick going: especially U571 and Das Boot.

Some pretty hoary VFX work. (better than some of K19 though). I loved the opening shot though.

It wasn't scary. Harry Potter was scarier.

There was little sense of time and place: 1940s ?? could have been set on the eurostar for all the difference it made. I suspect they could only get a hold of a WW2 submarine and set it then for cost reasons.

Overall I thought it was a good idea poorly executed.

2 out of 5.

5. theambient

theambient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the guy from arrowinthehead.com has got a review of that up. His opinion on stuff like that is normally pretty reliable