• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Beloved plasma dead

Omacron

Novice Member
Hi all, firstly long time lurker on this forum and want to say really appreciate the effort and solid advice that people give on here.

Anyway sadly my youngest kid committed the almost unforgivable sin of breaking my Panny plasma. A fantastic set which I had no intention of replacing until oled prices became somewhat reasonable and there was actually enough 4k content to justify the change. So now faced with replacing it I am looking at 4k hdr sets and trying to balance performance versus the unexpected cost.

To be honest I have kept an eye on the tech, seen a lot of demos but remain convinced that with the demise of plasma there isn't really an upgrade . Oled is very impressive when displaying top spec source but majority of my viewing will be HD sky, HD Netflix, Blu ray movies etc. However I have to buy something right?

So choices are as follows

Boxed 55 Sony xe90
Display floor 55 LG B6
Display floor 49 Samsung ks7000
Boxed 50 Panny 802
Boxed 49 LG v850 (PC world one)

Some price variations in those sets I know but what would be the best bang per buck from that list.

Dodgexander

LG B6/C6 or if you can't afford it LG 910v. Its a FHD OLED, curved only model but can be found sometimes for under £1000.

I would be sure to check any shop tv, LCD or OLED if its an ex display to make sure there is no permanent burn in. Usually shops show reels of video so its not a problem, but if they have had it stuck on static images for a very long time it may show.

Omacron

Novice Member
So oled or bust you reckon? With my viewing though at 60% HD remainder below is it worth taking the risk on B6? I appreciate oled seems to be where it is at but its going to be 1500 eur on the b6 which as far as I can tell has been showing Pacific Rim uhd footage (looked amazing BTW) on a loop for three months. Got a demo of the xe90 and I thought it was impressive, contrast not at plasma levels but not intolerable. The guy in the shop actually put me off the oled kept on talking about screen burn, problems with having it in a bright room etc. I have seen burn on display oleds couldnt see anything on that b6.

Dodgexander

That's rubbish, did he have a Sony badge on? B6 has a anti reflection filter and deals with reflections better than most LCDs, including the XE90.

If SD quality is a concern go for a FHD 910v OLED instead, UHD TVs don't do well with anything sub 720p.

Omacron

Novice Member
I felt at the time I wasn't getting great advice I was standing there looking at the video on b6 which to my eyes appeared an order of magtude better than anything on the floor and he really was trying to turn me off the oled.

The odd thing here was I walked down the road to another retailer same thing ex display b6 and they couldn't do enough to convince me to look at Sony. Which is the reason I came here basically.

Chester

Well, I know a guy who's selling a Pioneer plasma ;) Check out the classifieds here, not just for mine but others too.

In all seriousness, what's the likelihood of your youngest breaking the next one? It sounds as though if you were to blow over one and a half grand on an OLED, that would be a big problem if that got damaged. They're a lot more fragile than a solidly built plasma.

Omacron

Novice Member
That's a consideration alright but like most things in life you can't live in fear:). To be honest the kid never touched the thing in three years and he is as traumatised as me by the inability to watch anything on a big screen. So on balance I think it should be reasonably safe.

I have to buy something and having lived with an early lcd (which got 5 star reviews from certain publication) prior to plasma I found the lack of contrast to a crt was disappointing. I don't think I would even be posting this if I hadn't got the frankly weird advice when talking with the guys in the shop who were both anti oled.

Omacron

Novice Member
Other than screen burn and performance in bright room no. One showed me another oled panel I think it was FHD panel dodgexander mentioned above which had some screen burn on the side, looked like a side menu bar that had been on screen obviously for a while.

Chester

I guess not all of the shops leave the sets in standby overnight to perform their clear screen functions, etc. Ah well.

dollag

I have two Oleds and neither of them have ever shown signs of heavy screen burn (one of them I use as a part time PC monitor) I said this in another thread not too long ago, I really feel this screen burn issue on OLED TV's is a tad exaggerated. My E6 goes into a screensaver mode when inactive after 3 minutes or so.

My point is this, Do not be put off with the screen burn issue unless viable on the demo model your buying; or the fact that you watch mostly 1080P content.

I do agree that SD does look terrible but as long as your watching HD material, you'll be fine and with netflix, most programmes are UHD now with HDR and DV content becoming readily available.

I do not see the point of investing £1000 on a FHD screen, especially if Netflix is one of your main sources.

Omacron

Novice Member
So gents thanks for advice. I have no confidence that the lads in the store knew what they were talking about so tomorrow I am buying a set. Seems oled B6 is a heavy favourite even ex display if I can get it and screen is clean. Sony xe90 distant second and Panny 802 I am assuming from lack of comments is not recommended. Basically it's going to be the Sony if the b6 is gone. Although I can get the Panny 802 for a savage price.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
make sure the B6 OLED has no IR/burn in on it and snap it up!

easily the best deal from the sets u detailed. none of the others are in the same class. I'd just be wary of buying a demo OLED without checking it out first.

Omacron

Novice Member
Yeah I am a little apprehensive I'd actually pay 200 more for boxed one...if I could fine one that is. Reasonably confident I can check it out in the store any recommendations on what type of picture would be be best to have on screen when looking?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

are a good start :)

I'm one of the people who personally worry about OLED and IR and burn in. I see too many reports from people on other forums about it cropping up nowadays BUT if ur not "abusing the screen" i.e. windows taskbars, static material for <5 mins.. u should be absolutely fine.

and to be quite honest given the TVs u listed in the opening the post, its not even a question that u should be buying the OLED!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The only TVs I think you can consider as true competition to the oled are the sony ZD9, the dx902b and the ks9000.

However the OLED for normal usage probably beats them in everything but price, size, image retention, colour accuracy and brightness and they're all notoriously difficult to get now.

Omacron

Novice Member
Hi all just finishing off this thread so mods close it up, thanks everyone for the advice. I have no doubt OLED is the most compelling display technology out here based on my own eyes and the feedback from the members here who know a lot more than I do.

Went back for B6...it was sold, such is life. They had a KS7000 and after playing with the display settings was able to get a pretty decent image out of it so after getting them down to 900 euros with 5 years insurance, didn't seem like a bad deal and I pulled the trigger. Still playing around with it but pretty happy so far and it didn't break the bank. Anyway thanks again currently watching amazon prime UHD HDR content and it looks awesome.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
KS7000 for 900 is an excellent deal. really good bang for buck purchase and probably the best TV u can get at that price point. I think for all round casual viewing, the samsung KS range do much good and so little wrong! like a nice tidy all rounder aslong as u dont start going videophile on it. congrats on ur new set!

The money that you have saved can let you buy an OLED in 1-2 years time (at probably a slightly cheaper price).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom