Belkin Wireless Router Help!! Please :-)

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rjtyrell, Mar 14, 2006.

1. rjtyrell

rjtyrell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yesterday I ordered a belkin wireless router its description is :-

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router - model number F5D7230UK4.

I have a laptop and desktop, the desktop currently runs on AOL with a ASDL modem, will this router just plug into my desktop via usb or ethernet, and then I can set up my laptop to run wireless??

Just somebody has said I need to have my desktop on to be on be browsing on my laptop, can anyone help? and gives me a defiantive yes or no, or some help on this

Thanks

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The router you've bought doesn't have a modem in it, so you'll have to plug your existing modem into the WAN port and your PC into a LAN port. Once set up, you'll be able to use each PC independently.

Hopefully your ADSL modem has an ethernet port and not just USB.

D.

3. rjtyrell

rjtyrell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnaks for that , my desktop is about 4 years old, I presume it will have a WAN and LAN port?

Modem was provided by AOL, about 15 months ago, so touch wood it will have an ethernet port on it.

Am I right in saying a i need to run a cable from the modem to a WAN port on my PC, and then what goes in to the LAN port?

Sorry, just I am learning as I go

4. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    It should work like this;

ADSL modem WAN port>Belkin Router WAN port. Belkin Router LAN port>Ethernet port on PC.

You might have been better getting a router with a built in modem (link) - the one you bought is really designed for cable broadband, however it should still work as long as your ADSL modem has an ethernet (RJ45) port.

D.

5. rjtyrell

rjtyrell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information, your the first person who has really helped me with sorting this out, would you say its worth sending the belkin one back and getting the 3 com one on e buyer, it would probably be easier in the long run.

6. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If you can send it back, then do that.

Also, have a look at the other ADSL modem/routers in that section of ebuyer and see which ones suit you needs, look at the reviews by purchasers to see if they've had any success/problems setting the unit up.....etc....etc....

Hope it works out for you!

D.

7. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I'd be tempted to send it back and get one with a Modem built in. I've been using this one http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=79070
    for a couple of years now with no problems. Many people prefer the Netgear or Linksys routers over Belkin but personally I've never had any problems with Belkin kit (all has a lifetime warranty which is handy as well)

8. rjtyrell

rjtyrell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will go for the 3 com one, as comes with the usb adaptor so when my sister comes home from Uni I can hook her up to the router as well, rather than have to go back and buy one at a later date.

And also this 3 com seems fairly easy to set up.