1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin Universal Microphone Adapter on iPod vs. NetMD Optical Recording

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Shanboy51, Aug 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Shanboy51

Shanboy51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, how do I record (with a mic) on an MD player with only an optical-in, and no mic-in? Second, if I do get that to work, and I transfer it to my computer via analog out, would the resulting sound quality be more or less than the lossless iPod's 8kHz, using the Belkin Universal Microphone Adapter?

I need serious help soon. I have to record stuff at math camp.
    So how about it...
    :lease: ?

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    With a rather expensive digital mic.

In most cases it should be a heck of a lot better.

Choose Hi-MD (not NetMD) for quality recording, and get one with a mic socket. You can plug something like an ECM-DS70P for handy go-anywhere recording, or choose a better directional mic to pick up sounds further away. With Hi-MD, you can upload a recording via USB, then write it out to WAV. It's not as no-brainer as the Belkin is, but it's still pretty simple... and it's a lot better quality.

Ultimately though, only you can decide whether the Belkin's good enough for your uses. Personally I find the (Griffin) iTalk perfectly usable in terms of general voice quality at close quarters and also an absolute breeze to use (burn to CD in two clicks within iTunes... can't get simpler than that), but it's not my first choice to 'tape' important discussions.

3. Shanboy51

Shanboy51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can u name one of these "digital mics"? thx :thumbsup: