Belkin storage port - Rubbish speeds

THFC

Bought a new wireless N router with a usb storage port, advertised as NAS capable, new laptop is N so upgraded.

Belkin F5D8235uk4

Connecting the router storage port to a usb hard drive the write speeds are awful at most 700kb/sec

Connected via Gigabit network ports on router and pc, it's hard wired with a cat5 cable. Seems ridiculous.

If i connect via usb direct to the pc, not through the router speeds are 33mb/sec.

I want a network hard drive for access via the desktop and laptop, but with these write speeds it's unbearable.

Spoke to Pc World about a return but they said, I had it over the 7 day period, and it wasn't faulty.

Any idea why it's so poor, nothing on belkins website.

Anybody recommend another Nas solution and possible speeds.

To backup all my photo's etc the speed is important, currently this method would transfer 97gb in 3 days

t72bogie

Novice Member
perfectly normal and to be expected of such a device - read the many posts on here when people have considered routers of this type, offering to host a NAS USB drive and been warned off due to poor performance

most consumer routers will have a few hundred Mhz CPU and 16MB RAM avg

compare this with a entry level NAS at 500Mhx and 256MB RAM

people moan about the entry level NAS being slow ...so what do you expect with 1/2 the CPU and 10x less RAM in a router....thats trying to route ! :(

adding a $5 USB port ot a router and claiming to be a print server and NAS is a nice selling point, but in reality, fraught with poor performance

1. not enough power for a NAS - performance of an old USB stick at best
2. impossible to support every printer on the planet with a generic driver set built in, so at best, your new all-in-one printer just does basic stuff like printing

buy a router to be a router :smashin:

The only router ive heard of actually being able to share files from a USB hosted hard drive at any speed, is the new Netgear WNDR3700 ...but still its "only" 9-10MB/s (about 1/2 an extry level £150 NAS) ...not bad for ad-hoc file storage, but no substitute for the real thing still ....and thats with a 680Mhz CPU and 64MB Ram in the router ....

so in short - dont believe the marketing - sure you can attached a hard drive that will do 60MB/s transfers to your router.....but you will cripple it in the process :(

THFC

Better start looking for a nas with print server then.

Didn't realise performance was that poor

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You'd be better off "separating" those two functions too, and look for a NAS to be purely a file store and a network enabled printer to be a print server.

Many deskjet class (ie cheap) printers are available with built in networking these days. (Network enabled printers used to be a big price premium.) It'll save you an enormous amount of driver hassle to be able to connect a printer direct to your network infrastructure (beit ethernet or wifi) rather than bodging it USB via a NAS, router or server.

Last edited:

t72bogie

Novice Member
Better start looking for a nas with print server then.

Didn't realise performance was that poor
I bought a new all in one HP jobbie last year - under £100 and built in network print server - just plug it into your router with ethernet - a doddle and great value these days :smashin:

for NAS, there are loads - have a look in the storage/hard drive section of this forum for a thread nearly every day :)

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I bought a new all in one HP jobbie last year - under £100 and built in network print server - just plug it into your router with ethernet - a doddle and great value these days :smashin:
Whatever happened to 300 pounds a time JetDirect cards. (That's a trip down memory lane for us old IT techs.) :)

t72bogie

Novice Member
Whatever happened to 300 pounds a time JetDirect cards. (That's a trip down memory lane for us old IT techs.) :)
yeah, they were the days (not!) ....HP had a nice little earner going there for a while....now you have to go real low end to find a printer WITHOUT ethernet LOL :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom