1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin pure AV surge protector - anyone use this?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jon_mendel, Jun 4, 2005.

1. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Be careful looking at the Belkin Surge protectors on Play.com as they have several of them at many different costs, but they are all listed showing the same picture. The picture is of the Pure AV unit that normally costs around £50 online. Another retailer that sells them is Here. This Belkin unit is not available with a 2m lead, as it is advertised on Play. The actual product code for these units is F9G823UK3M. Searching for this code on Play.com returns no results!
    I have 3 of these and they are great products that do IMO make a difference. I would say they are well worth paying the extra money for over cheaper units, even those others made by Belkin.

Mark.

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Mark. I'm reluctant to spend £50 on a power block - other things would be upgraded first :) - so do you reckon the one on Play is likely to be the one pictured, as £17 I can do ;)

I guess I could return the block to play if it's not as pictured, but can live without the hassle; yeah, I remember Belkin do cheaper surge protecters (we had a couple in an office I worked in) which aren't expensive...

Jon

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    There is absolutely no chance that the pictured Belkin power block is what you will get if you place an order with play!!!!!
    The picture shows a power block that is built like a tank and would probably survive an bombing raid :D . IMO for £17 you are going to only get a bog standard, low level of protection unit. The play advert says that it has a 2m power cord, but the Pure AV unit I linked to is only available with a 3m lead. Searching through the Belkin units with 8 sockets and a 2m lead, all I could find was This.

Mark.

5. 47ratbag

47ratbag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers. I think the (fireproof) aluminium job might be a bit of overkill, anyway...but would have been worth a go at the price :) I've used some of the basic belkin ones before, but tbh will probably just go for an unbranded one as they should all provide basic protection, I hope...

Jon

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can also heartily recommend the F9G823UK3M. I have two of these, one for each system and can vouch for the build quality.

Whilst I cannot say I have experienced an obvious increase in performance, there has certainly been no decrease. I am quite comforted by this as it implies that my mains was pretty good already!

Surge protection, mains filtration, unlimited warranty and great build for £50? Bargain in my opinion :)

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also use the aluminium one and must say i noticed an improvement of picture quality. Whether that's from the mains filtration or high quality aerial cables that you get as well I can't say. You can find the aluminium one for about £40 on the web and I think it's well worth it.